• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S20 Opening - "Under the Alolan Sun"

Flynn

Reaction score
For some reason, when the Watch Disney XD site and Disney XD app were updated to include episodes from season 1, they put up the final versions of SM001 and SM002. Find it here: Pokemon: S20 E1: Alola to New Adventure! | Season 20 Episode 01 Full Episode - WatchDisneyXD.com

The music was changed, to no one's surprise. The opening is still 30 seconds: "Under The Alolan Sun" written by Ed Goldfarb, sung by Jannel Candrice and The Sad Truth, featuring Ben Dixon and the Vestigial Horns. The final credits have an instrumental of "Under The Alolan Sun" playing during 30 seconds of the "Pose" animation, instead of text on a black background.

The opening:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H69m3C5xvrw

I actually like the song(y). It's cheery, fits the tone nicely and the ending too with animation going on on-screen as opposed to the Black screen during the CN days. I can get used to this just as long as I'm not thinking about gen 6's songs cuz those so far are still fresh in my mind.

I'm disappointed it's still only 30 seconds, but it's cute. I adore the tune of it! The actual singing leaves a lot to be desired, but pretty much all of the dub openings of late have.

The ending is PERFECT. I am so happy the boring black screen of CN days is dead. My favorite part of the song is the tune, so I really like the instrumental version a lot. And using the Pose animation makes it even more fun.

I initially did not like the opening but after listening a few times, I'm fine with it. I was the same way with the first Black and White opening.

I still think it's a nice song. The fact that it is still thirty seconds is a huge problem and a pretty terrible decision regardless of their reasons, but it has a catchy beat, it fits with the tone of the series and I actually thought that the singer was decent. Although, I think that they could have made some better choices with the footage they used for the opening theme. Some scenes worked fine, like with seeing all of the characters with their Pokemon, but once they showed Ash and Pikachu seeing Tapu Koko, it started to feel like they were just throwing in random scenes together without making it work with the songs' lyrics. Granted, that's not a new issue with the dub openings, but it seemed a bit more pronounced here.

I'm still pretty happy that we aren't going to have the black screen for the ending credits anymore. It's nice to see footage from the original ending theme and it works nicely alongside the instrumental version of the opening. It still wouldn't rank high among my favorite dub openings, but I think that this works much better than quite a few of the TPCI dub openings. I'd take this over Stand Tall and all of the BW dub openings at least. It could have been better if they actually had a longer amount of time to work with, but it generally works pretty well as a Pokemon dub opening.

I like it but its a bit weird without any reference to Moon in the lyrics.

Under the what sun? They really can't pronounce "Alolan", can they?

Definitely one of the worse dub openings, on par with the low-energy BW ones. Which is too bad because they XY dub openings were one of the better parts of that series' dub.

Also that video editing is terrible. Did they throw it together in 5 minutes?

Disappointing that the opening is still so short, but it's nice that the ending isn't just a black screen anymore. I guess that's a little bit of progress...

Not too hyped about the song itself, but I guess I spoiled myself with so many awesome fan dubbed covers of Alola! that this just seems so inferior in comparison.

For the opening, the song was okay but the footage they showed just didn't connect. it was like I was watching two different things. for the ending, it was actually good, a lot better in my opinion and I am glad they got rid of the black background in the ending credits.

When it comes to XY(Z) and BW I liked all the openings but my least favorite was 'Stand Tall' from XY(Z) and this new opening is much better. not by much but just enough. of course this all my opinion. :)

I really like the accompaniment, but not the singing. It's kind of flat compared to the fun and bouncy background. Seems like it would be fun to sing along with, nonetheless.

Honestly?

I think this is the second worst dub opening in the Series so far, and this is because where the worst dub opening ever IMO (last season's) tried too hard to be cool and edgy like some reject biker gang's theme, this one goes to the opposite extreme and back to the "friends to the end, adventure" cheesiness take BW's dub OPs suffered from. Additionally, there was zero emotion or passion in the singing, lifeless & lackluster, and the editing was choppy.

Awful, just awful, I'm sorry. I'm honestly glad I'm done forever with the dub after seeing the SM dub is still replacing most of the OST like XY's dub did, and the same issues that existed with TPCi's dub since Day #1 are still there, too.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom