• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Season 20: Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Dub Episode Titles Thread

Both episodes look good. Only downside is Ash's new look but the rest seems okay.

SM003: Loading the Dex!
Airs on April 1 at noon on Teletoon (Canada)
"A new hero joins Ash on his journey through the Alola region."
Source: TV Passport

SM004: First Catch in Alola, Ketchum-style!
Airs on April 8 at noon on Teletoon (Canada)
"Ash pursues his first Pokémon in the Alola region in typical Ash Ketchum fashion."
Source: TV Passport

At the moment, neither is on Disney XD's schedule from now through April 14 in the US. Thanks to @Kalos Queen Serena for bringing it up.

Last edited:
Disney XD is showing reruns of XY, possibly to push Pokemon on their network and show it can do a better job promoting it then Teen Titans GO! Channel Cartoon Network did.

Kind of stupid that Canada will once again be getting the episodes earlier. Is TPCI headquarters situated in Canada? Because then I'd maybe understand, but if it's completely a US show, then I don't see why they are doing this. The country of origin should get new episodes first (whether it's the original Japanese or the English Dub). Even Korea, not sure which one, got the Skrelp and Dragalge episode earlier, but since there was still that controversy over that tragedy, that's understandable that the Japanese airing was on hiatus, but I don't think Canada should have any right at all to debut these episodes, unless there's a break after SM003 and SM004 air, and then the US will show the episodes and then the others and be ahead, but the US doesn't even have an airdate yet for these episodes. TPCI really needs to get their act together. I don't see any good reason not to show these episodes yet, especially when unlike XY024, there isn't any US tragedy that SM003 and SM004 relate to. Unless they're trying not to show SM009, because Yungoose and Gumshoos look like that "thing". Anyway, regardless of all that, I kind of like SM004's dub title, because it is sort of how Ash usually catches a Pokemon, with the Pokemon asking to join Ash, or Ash asking the Pokemon to join. I know other's have done it before, but still, I think he's more in tune with Pokemon and their feelings.

Kind of stupid that Canada will once again be getting the episodes earlier. Is TPCI headquarters situated in Canada? Because then I'd maybe understand, but if it's completely a US show, then I don't see why they are doing this. The country of origin should get new episodes first (whether it's the original Japanese or the English Dub). Even Korea, not sure which one, got the Skrelp and Dragalge episode earlier, but since there was still that controversy over that tragedy, that's understandable that the Japanese airing was on hiatus, but I don't think Canada should have any right at all to debut these episodes, unless there's a break after SM003 and SM004 air, and then the US will show the episodes and then the others and be ahead, but the US doesn't even have an airdate yet for these episodes. TPCI really needs to get their act together. I don't see any good reason not to show these episodes yet, especially when unlike XY024, there isn't any US tragedy that SM003 and SM004 relate to. Unless they're trying not to show SM009, because Yungoose and Gumshoos look like that "thing". Anyway, regardless of all that, I kind of like SM004's dub title, because it is sort of how Ash usually catches a Pokemon, with the Pokemon asking to join Ash, or Ash asking the Pokemon to join. I know other's have done it before, but still, I think he's more in tune with Pokemon and their feelings.

While I'm certainly shocked and a little surprised Teletoon is getting it first instead of Disney X.D., I don't think it's stupid. Back when BW wad airing, Canada was a complete 6 months behind and that was pretty common to see with other shows at the time like Zexal and Digimon Fusion. So it's not like Canada has been sporting premieres all that long.

Pokémon is definitely not a US show. Sure, it's dubbed but it coming from overseas and the English dub is used in all English speaking countries (US, Canada, UK, etc.). The dubbing of origin hardly has a meaning in the grand scheme of thing. For example, Inuyasha was dubbed in Canada but premiered in US. The dub isn't necessarily targeted to one country more than the others if it's the respective language.

If you ask me, Disney X.D. is probably airing XY first since there is still a lot of XY merchandise on the shelves. TCG, plushies, books, etc. There's not as much SM merchandise out atm, aside from the games and few other things. TPCi probably just wants one last chance to promote XY, especially now since they're on a new channel with new people to advertise to. Teletoon has been re-airing XY for quite a while now every weekday and Saturday. I guess it already met TPCi's standard this have been awarded the right to premiere SM.

I'm pretty surprised myself that Disney X.D. wasn't given the right to premiere SM after their new partnership with TPCi, but that's business for you. We don't know all the details on why this is. But at the end of the day, it'll come to US irregardless.

Momentum sort of did my job for me, but I will make the point that Beyblade Burst was dubbed and produced in Canada, but most of the episodes were first seen in Australia. Same with Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V. Although that dub wasn't produced in Canada, it did premiere in Canada before any other country, but somehow Australia of all places took the lead. It's not always fair, but the company gives the networks the episodes and from there, it's entirely up to the networks when to start airing new episodes and how many at a time.

Frankly, as a Canadian myself, I'm happy to be getting the worldwide premieres of these dubbed episodes, unlike most shows, where they air in USA first. In a perfect world, everything would be airing at the same remote time, but there it is.

Also, I don't think this is even the first time dubbed episodes have premiered in other countries before the U.S. either. I know that the last few episodes of XY were available via another country's On Demand section, although I forget if that was in Canada or not. I'm pretty sure there were a few episodes through XY that aired in European countries first, or at least I remember reading that a couple of times when I looked up episodes on Bulbapedia. I also know that episodes were available on iTunes before they aired in the U.S. throughout XY's run too. This isn't entirely new or unheard of at least.

While I'm not thrilled that we have to wait longer for a U.S. premiere either, I do think that the negative reactions to it are a bit much. We'll get the dub eventually and hopefully the premiere in Canada will mean that Disney XD isn't too far off from starting the series proper themselves. I understand why people are frustrated over the situation, but at the same time, I'm getting tired of people complaining about the situation with the U.S. premiere, especially when I'm sure that Disney XD wants to have a lot of episodes ready to air for a special event. I don't know how much they'd want or how much TPCI could possibly give them since there are only twenty episodes of the series thus far to work with.

Sure, Canada shouldn't be six months behind, that was also kind of stupid, because although it isn't the US, it's right next to it, unlike Australia or New Zealand. If it was started in the US and since that's where I can assume the dubbing takes place, I don't see why they shouldn't release it first. They dubbed it, yet another country premieres it first and for no reason at all. Now Disney XD is just playing reruns of XY where they could easily be playing the new episodes.

If it was started in the US and since that's where I can assume the dubbing takes place, I don't see why they shouldn't release it first. They dubbed it, yet another country premieres it first and for no reason at all. Now Disney XD is just playing reruns of XY where they could easily be playing the new episodes.
Given recent trends, Teletoon and Cartoon Network/Disney XD seem to get the episode tapes at the same time. I'd blame Disney XD for taking their time (they had the final versions of SM001/2 on February 11 on demand, but didn't bother airing them until March 17), more than I would Teletoon for airing episodes that they've been given at a reasonable time.

Given recent trends, Teletoon and Cartoon Network/Disney XD seem to get the episode tapes at the same time. I'd blame Disney XD for taking their time (they had the final versions of SM001/2 on February 11 on demand, but didn't bother airing them until March 17), more than I would Teletoon for airing episodes that they've been given at a reasonable time.
Yeah, I'm also blaming Disney XD. I can understand that Pokemon is a still a new show for them and they would want to get fans to not just be watching the new episodes, like a couple of years ago, when One Piece returned to Toonami, they didn't bring out the recent episodes, but when another network from another country is ahead, they should at the very least release the around the same time, to be fair to both.

Wouldn't the videos belonging uploaded to YouTube anyways? That's how I watched Pokémon last year.

Those wouldn't be official uploads though. There is an official YouTube channel for Pokemon, but aside from some specials, they don't upload full episodes there. They do upload episodes from the various series on Pokemon.com and rotate the episodes every week, but they normally wait until after episodes have aired on TV to put the newest episodes there. We'll get access to the dub legally at some point. We just have to be patient.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom