• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shall we try to reach a consensus on the Player Character names?

Which names should we try to officialize?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pkm Trainer Lou

Reaction score
It has been some days (more to some than others) since the release of the game and we don't know the "canon" names for the protagonists, but we have some things to work with, the demo for example...

Now, we all know demos and pre-release materials didn't follow through with the PC names, see XY and ORAS for examples and also, naming the protagonists with the title elements (Red, Yellow, Gold, etc..) is actually something that the MANGA does with its main characters, except for Red.

Anyways, in case you're thinking "oh, the community choosing a official name for something? now that's rich", well, while not official per se, there ARE terms and names that were born from the community's consensus and are used in many places, including Bulbapedia, for example, Leaf's name and the Masuda Method. With this post, I propose to reach a consensus in regards of the SM protagonists, making it possible to vote for two options (one for the boy, the other for the girl).

Sun or Elios (boy), Moon or Selene (girl)

Well, for one thing, the manga always uses the game titles for the protagonist names, so it'll probably be Sun and Moon there. I never liked that personally, like how Brendan was renamed Ruby I think?

I was hoping they'd cannonly get a name like Sol/Saul or Luna. Similar to the game's titles, but they do sound more appealing as canon character names, over Sun and Moon.

It's a shame that they didn't spring for something a little more unique and outside-the-box like they usually do, but I guess it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Elio and Selene will suffice, I guess. I mean, I'm sure we'd all be referring to Calem/Serena as "Xavier/Yvonne" if they hadn't had "canonical" names. Plus, they sound more like actual names, unlike Sun/Moon, and as I said elsewhere, it's more convenient if the terms "Sun" and "Moon" don't have to have yet two more redirects on any webpages.

Last edited:
I am still thinking Elio and Selene ever since this Battle Royale image;
Screen_20160618_094714.jpg

Just went with Sun and Moon. I like those names more than the other two.

How about Christian and Christine? After all, there are Electric Hedgehog Pokemon this time around....:whistle:

"Selene" seems too close to "Serena," especially since they're from consecutive generations. I kinda like the aforementioned idea of "Saul" and "Luna."

UPDATE, y'all: I set a date for this poll to close, so tell your friends or whatever to vote before DECEMBER 4th

I agree with DracoMan that 'Selene' is way too close to 'Serena'. If we're not getting canon names, then let's just name them Sun and Moon, as has been done with all the other PC's who didn't get a canon name IIRC.

"Selene" seems too close to "Serena," especially since they're from consecutive generations.

I agree with DracoMan that 'Selene' is way too close to 'Serena'.

But does it not seem a little odd to make this argument in favor of the names Sun/Moon, which aren't just similar to, but rather are exactly the same as the name of the games, the name of the TCG set, the name of the anime season...

"Red" works (because it's a real name anyway, but more importantly) because he's most frequently referred to in conjunction with Leaf, and you can't mix "Red/Leaf" up with anything else. It was similar for Ethan back when we called him Gold, because you had Gold/Kris. It was inherently distinct.

Silver is most often referred to on his lonesome, rather than as a part of a pair, which helps to signify that one is talking about the character, since we generally aren't likely to be talking about Silver (the game) on its own. I think most people would say GS or GSC. Maybe Gold/Silver, but since the protagonist and the rival aren't usually referred to using the "____/____" format, that's not as much of an issue.

The same could be said about Blue, though he has his own naming controversy going on.

I mean, if I type out Elio/Selene, it stands out from Calem/Serena. Granted, the same is true of Sun/Moon, but I just don't think the "Selene is too similar to Serena" point is a particular problem when 90% of the time, their names are going to be preceded by "Elio/" and "Calem/" which automatically set them apart from each other. Referring to them as Sun/Moon creates unnecessary overlap since we have practical alternatives - and again, would anybody be arguing in favor of referring to Calem/Serena as "X/Y" instead of "Xavier/Yvonne" if their canonical names didn't exist but their promotional names did?

I'm not trying to seem combative here, I'm just trying to fully state my case about this.

Last edited:
"Selene" seems too close to "Serena," especially since they're from consecutive generations. I kinda like the aforementioned idea of "Saul" and "Luna."
true, it's too similar to Serena, but tbh, when I was searching for moon names during a discussion, the spelling "Celine" appeared in a site. I would, hands down, prefer this over Selene, if anything, but the latter is the one that appeared in Battle Royal, that's why I put it in the options (like it would be for Yvonne, if we were to go back a few years)

I mean, if I type out Elio/Selene, it stands out from Calem/Serena. Granted, the same is true of Sun/Moon, but I just don't think the "Selene is too similar to Serena" point is a particular problem when 90% of the time, their names are going to be preceded by "Elio/" and "Calem/" which automatically set them apart. Referring to them as Sun/Moon creates unnecessary overlap since we have practical alternatives - and again, would anybody be arguing in favor of referring to Calem/Serena as "X/Y" instead of "Xavier/Yvonne" if their canonical names didn't exist but their promotional names did?

X/Y are different, because those are just letters so that would be a bit difficult. I would indeed vote for names that start with an X or Y then. But Sun and Moon are fine as names imo. It's true that you often name them together, but for the off time you name them seperately, it could become confusing. And I just don't like it if names are similar like that.

Celine would indeed be a pretty good variant, though I don't think that name fits her at all, neither does Selene btw. But that's probably just me :p

X/Y are different, because those are just letters so that would be a bit difficult. I would indeed vote for names that start with an X or Y then. But Sun and Moon are fine as names imo. It's true that you often name them together, but for the off time you name them seperately, it could become confusing. And I just don't like it if names are similar like that.

Celine would indeed be a pretty good variant, though I don't think that name fits her at all, neither does Selene btw. But that's probably just me :p
Selene (or Celine, whatever) is a name relating to moon, just google "names for moon" (that's how I stumbled upon Celine) and it's there, a whole list in fact. I think I would've preferred "Luna", but that would be too easy

I personally find Elio/Luna to be a nice combo, but anything works as long as it isn't Sun and Moon.

If we're going to refer to the protagonists as Sun/Moon then it's just going to create unnecessary confusion with literally every other Sun/Moon thing. Plus I find it boring to just name the protagonists after the games exact names, I mean if they're not going to get official names then can we at least try to be a little more creative than just slapping "Sun" and "Moon" on them?

I agree with the above posters, a no for blandly-naming-characters-after-game-titles Sun/Moon for me. Also, I'd rather have names with a theme that has nothing to do with the sun and the moon. Why? Well, what do Calem/Serena have anything to do with X/Y? Hilbert/Hilda and Nate/Rosa with Black/White? Brendan/May with Ruby/Sapphire? If the games themselves don't use stuff like Xavier/Yvonne and Blair/Whitlea, then I see no reason why we should.

I agree with the above posters, a no for blandly-naming-characters-after-game-titles Sun/Moon for me. Also, I'd rather have names with a theme that has nothing to do with the sun and the moon. Why? Well, what do Calem/Serena have anything to do with X/Y? Hilbert/Hilda and Nate/Rosa with Black/White? Brendan/May with Ruby/Sapphire? If the games themselves don't use stuff like Xavier/Yvonne and Blair/Whitlea, then I see no reason why we should.
While the names don't necessarily have to do with the games' names themselves, they DO often have some kind of common root or theme. Hilda/Hilbert are the easiest to see here. Others I can think of are Ethan and Lyra both having some kind of musical meaning, and Lucas and Dawn both referencing light in some way. So if the names didn't have anything to do with Sun and Moon, they should at least be related to each other in that aspect.

While the names don't necessarily have to do with the games' names themselves, they DO often have some kind of common root or theme. Hilda/Hilbert are the easiest to see here. Others I can think of are Ethan and Lyra both having some kind of musical meaning, and Lucas and Dawn both referencing light in some way. So if the names didn't have anything to do with Sun and Moon, they should at least be related to each other in that aspect.
That's what I was getting at. I prefer name themes like Lucas/Dawn and Ethan/Lyra: nothing to do with the game titles, but still related.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom