• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Ash catch a Legendary?

Nah, it would just cause more hype that will lead no where, honestly don't see any reason he needs to catch one not like it will help him win the league and it will have to have a leave like Greninja's so he has a reason he doesn't bring it to the next reigon.

As cool as the idea probably sounds to people, I think it would just end up getting people upset. Not only would he still lose despite having a Legendary Pokemon in his team, but Ash would leave it at Professor Oak just like nearly every Pokemon he has that isn't Pikachu. Either that or he'd release it by the end of the series, which would still create more backlash than anything else.

As cool as the idea probably sounds to people, I think it would just end up getting people upset. Not only would he still lose despite having a Legendary Pokemon in his team, but Ash would leave it at Professor Oak just like nearly every Pokemon he has that isn't Pikachu. Either that or he'd release it by the end of the series, which would still create more backlash than anything else.

There's that too.
Personally, I would make him win the League, but lose to the E4 in DP, BW, and maybe also XY. I think these Trainers are capable of taking care of say, Latias.
I have though of something like the Eon Flute to summon a Legendary that is not "Oaked". But it wouldn't make sense even for the anime's standards for Latias to hear Ash from Johto if he's in Kalos.
I would like it if Ash were to always keep that Legendary with him, but they would then have to be reset, which would piss off everyone (imagine if it was Latias who lost to Trip's Snivy).
However, I would like to one day see Ash with a Legendary, given they are exceptional Pokémon. Everyone catches Legendaries in the games, and many do it in the Adventures mange. Heck, we already saw Trollbias and Brandon with Legendaries, so why can't our hero have one?

Remember when people thought Lucario was a legendary?... *nostalgic sigh*

I wasn't part of the fandom back then, but I guess it was because of M08, right?

Last edited:
There's that too.
Personally, I would make him win the League, but lose to the E4 in DP, BW, and maybe also XY. I think these Trainers are capable of taking care of say, Latias.
I have though of something like the Eon Flute to summon a Legendary that is not "Oaked". But it wouldn't make sense even for the anime's standards for Latias to hear Ash from Johto if he's in Kalos.
I would like it if Ash were to always keep that Legendary with him, but they would then have to be reset, which would piss off everyone (imagine if it was Latias who lost to Trip's Snivy).
However, I would like to one day see Ash with a Legendary, given they are exceptional Pokémon. Everyone catches Legendaries in the games, and many do it in the Adventures mange. Heck, we already saw Trollbias and Brandon with Legendaries, so why can't our hero have one?
Because he’s weak af.
No, really.
He has pseudo-legendaries like Goodra and Pokemon like Greninja. Pikachu could take on legendary Pokemon.
And he still lost the Kalos league.

There's that too.

In the anime, Legendary Pokemon are already considered extremely powerful and the trainers that do get them are significantly older than Ash. Sure, people can catch Legendary Pokemon in the games and in the Adventures manga series, but you can't really compare that to Ash capturing a Legendary Pokemon, especially the former. If Ash had a Legendary Pokemon, there would be people expecting him to never lose again and then people upset over anytime he did lose. Even the Eon Flute idea would probably make people upset. It wouldn't be Oaked in the traditional sense, but how often does he call on older Pokemon nowadays? He could potentially call upon it, but that wouldn't make it much different than calling Professor Oak for his older Pokemon. It would just be a flashier or more fancy version of the concept.

QueenEevee said:
I wasn't part of the fandom back then, but I guess it was because of M08, right?

Yeah, there were debates over whether or not Lucario was a Legendary Pokemon because of its role in the eighth movie. This was all resolved once Riolu was revealed, but that didn't happen for a good couple of years after the movie came out.

In the anime, Legendary Pokemon are already considered extremely powerful and the trainers that do get them are significantly older than Ash. Sure, people can catch Legendary Pokemon in the games and in the Adventures manga series, but you can't really compare that to Ash capturing a Legendary Pokemon, especially the former. If Ash had a Legendary Pokemon, there would be people expecting him to never lose again and then people upset over anytime he did lose. Even the Eon Flute idea would probably make people upset. It wouldn't be Oaked in the traditional sense, but how often does he call on older Pokemon nowadays? He could potentially call upon it, but that wouldn't make it much different than calling Professor Oak for his older Pokemon. It would just be a flashier or more fancy version of the concept.

Yeah, there were debates over whether or not Lucario was a Legendary Pokemon because of its role in the eighth movie. This was all resolved once Riolu was revealed, but that didn't happen for a good couple of years after the movie came out.

I personally would like it if he calls up the reserve during the League.
OK. He's not going to use them against Gyms because that would make him OP (and because they need to market new Pokémon), but why not use them together with the new Pokémon during the League?

I personally would like it if he calls up the reserve during the League.
OK. He's not going to use them against Gyms because that would make him OP (and because they need to market new Pokémon), but why not use them together with the new Pokémon during the League?

Because that would still make him over powered. Even if it didn't, people would be upset that he lost at the League again with a Legendary Pokemon under his common. People were already enraged over Ash losing when he has Ash-Greninja. Ash losing when he has a Legendary Pokemon in his team would probably create even more backlash than the Kalos League did.

Because that would still make him over powered. Even if it didn't, people would be upset that he lost at the League again with a Legendary Pokemon under his common. People were already enraged over Ash losing when he has Ash-Greninja. Ash losing when he has a Legendary Pokemon in his team would probably create even more backlash than the Kalos League did.

They would make his opponent a Mary Sue like they did with Alain.
Not that fans would like it, but it's still possible to make him lose even with a Legendary.

They would make his opponent a Mary Sue like they did with Alain.
Not that fans would like it, but it's still possible to make him lose even with a Legendary.
They could have it be like Charizard and not respect him.
But that’s it. Unless a Trollbias-like char comes.

All the more reason to give him one. I'll have the popcorn and soda ready for the glorious chaos.

I mean, Zygarde promised to join Bonnie when she turns 10...

I feel like he shouldn't, but it would feel unfair if a companion were to get one while he didn't IMO. If he were to get one, it'd probably be during a finale/when the show ends, which isn't happening anytime soon.

EDIT: As for what the Legendary should be, that's hard to determine. I could see Latias, Victini, Meloetta, or Keldeo wanting to join him. Maybe Tapu Koko, but it's early to tell. Ho-Oh and Lugia would be too OP, and Hoopa would be as well, plus he already has a family that he's been with since they were small kids.

Last edited:
I mean, Zygarde promised to join Bonnie when she turns 10...

I feel like he shouldn't, but it would feel unfair if a companion were to get one while he didn't IMO. If he were to get one, it'd probably be during a finale/when the show ends, which isn't happening anytime soon.

EDIT: As for what the Legendary should be, that's hard to determine. I could see Latias, Victini, Meloetta, or Keldeo wanting to join him. Maybe Tapu Koko, but it's early to tell. Ho-Oh and Lugia would be too OP, and Hoopa would be as well, plus he already has a family that he's been with since they were small kids.

Victini would be OP as it grants victory to its Trainer.
Tapu Koko is considered a deity.
I think few fans will remember that about Bonnie, especially since we aren't going to see her as a Trainer.

I don't think Ash love catching them, because they are the rulers of the world, and made the peace for it. Also, the legendary pokemons are mostly don't exist in the episodes, and they made such as they exist. For example, the clash between team aqua, and magma episode, we saw the how ash saw them, but in the Mega Evolution Episode, they made it like that ash really didn't see them before. Right, I am agree that he also remember Ho-oh but this pokemon is the only pokemon that they made him clearly remember from all legendaries. He already knows the names but don't remember the events when he saw these pokemons.

Only if they plan on Ash winning a league or ending the series which I have officially given up on thanks to the secret reboot bullshit they apparently pulled.

Catching Ho-oh would make an epic epilogue though.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom