• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Should GameFreak make a Pokémon game with all regions in it?

Should GameFreak make a Pokémon game with all regions in it?

• Yes

Votes: 67 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 74 52.5%

• Total voters

Yagura

aka. Yaggy
Reaction score
So yeah the title says it all. It'll be a lot better if you accompany your vote with posting a reason.

I would love to see it happen, but there are some key drawbacks;

- Hardware. If we were still using sprites, I believe I would have given an overhwleming "YES!", however I'm pretty sure based on some slowdown on X/Y even with the 3D off that having to store 6 regions (and possibly side-regions too) would be taxing the memory a bit too much and/or require too high a number of Gate Houses. But anything that lets me see Hoenn again gets a +1 from me.
- Over-Levelling. You hear this one all the time, but the key problem would be that your Pokemon will all be in the 91-100 phase by the end of the second region on Trainer Battles alone. Additionally, wild pokemon would be far too underlevelled to make for decent grinding by the time you reached Unova/Kalos. A good way around this would be to make it so that you "reset" at each region with all your Pokemon being placed in the box except for a starter given to you by the professor, but even then it seems a bit stretched to lose your Pokemon. However, you could regain access to them after getting 8 badges in that region, and the E4's teams could be scaled to match or be within 6-10 levels of your strongest Pokemon.

So in short; if we get hardware that can cope with it, and do something to work around the over-levelling, and possibly if we get to CHOOSE the order of the regions (personally I'd start Hoenn-Johto-Kanto-Sinnoh-Unova-Orre-Kalos, meaning I'm always going East across the world), then I would say "Yes Game Freak. Make this game!"

Nope. We dont have the hardware for it to be done right yet, I would rather it not be an abomination.

So yeah, Lugia you kinda summed it all up for me. In my opinion it'll be a lot better to only have "Japan" regions (Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Hoenn). You can keep your Pokémon in it. But when you go to the far away Unova and Kalos you start from 0 (Much like Ash in the anime but without his stupid Pikachu).

In BW2, this always wanted dream was kinda resolved: You can battle E4/Gym Leader/Champions in the World Tournament which is good enough but not as go as traveling through each region.

Personally I think it's a great idea if it can be pulled off. It would be good if you can choose the order you go through the regions in, so you could go Unova->Johto->Hoenn->Kanto->Sinnoh->Kalos.

To combat the issue with over levelling, I think pokemon that have been caught in another region shouldn't be allowed to be used in a particular region, until you've beaten that region's E4. E.g. If I start with the Kanto region, I fight my way through it and beat the champion, then I get to choose the next region to start in (Johto in this case). I get my new Johto starter, but I can't access any of the pokemon I caught in the Kanto region in the PC while in Johto until I've beaten the Johto champion (obviously the pokemon you catch in Kanto will be automatially boxed). Also you can't travel to an incomplete region if you are holding a "foreign" pokemon.

I'd also make it so as long as each of the 2 regions is unlocked, you can fly from any 2 cities (e.g. Goldrenrod straight to Snowbelle) without having to fly to somewhere in between.

And while we're at it, changing the region's wild pokemon, trainers and maybe E4 would make each region nice and different.

However, I honestly think the idea is unrealistic due to the fact they want to make new regions, and a game like this would take a hell of a lot of memory. But I think it could be a amazing.

I think something like this would be the perfect excuse to make a pokemon game on the console. Not something like Stadium and Battle Revolution, which are just mindless battle simulators. But then you'd have the problem as already stated, overleveling and what to do with your godly pokemon that have already proven their worth. If they ever let you travel to all the regions, then I don't think it'd be as a traditional trainer.

Maybe something like a member of the international police trying to solve a worldwide crisis? And you can choose a team from the wealth of pokemon the international police have at their disposal. There could even be missions given to you by familiar faces from each region, as side quests to get things to improve that pokemon you decided to put on your team.

Anything that gives me more Looker.

I don't think it is a good idea.
Sure X and Y were flawed by not having enough content, but if a game has too much content then it would be too overwhelming or too long to hold the players attention all the way through.

Gen 2 had it right with 2 regions and I personally would like to see the next Kanto remake include Johto as well as the Sevii Islands as post game content (this time with Sevii Islands completely optional)
Also A Hoenn remake that leads into a region between Hoenn and Johto would be great.

@Cool and Spicy; Personally I'm hoping there will be a Stadium (and not a flop like Battle Revolution) for Wii U, Stadium was a great add-on to the Gameboy games and I'd love to return to the epic stadium style battles with my Sylveon, Pyroar etc. I also miss Earl's Academy which was a fun and engaging way to learn mechanics and strategies (I haven't been able to keep up with the latest mechanics very well due to a lack of engaging material).

I do not think a multi region game would be great on the console because I like to have my Pokemon adventure accessible to me where I go and the home console is better suited as a vessel to do high detailed competitive battling.

It would be nice to have more then one region for the next game, but like others have said you would be level 100 by the time you finish the second region.
I'd like to have access to all Pokemon in the wild, without having to trade.

I'm going to assume we have the hardware and enough memory space to judge by content.

If we were to have 6 regions in all one game in the form of RPG as we have now, they are going to have to come up with a massive story plot that can range over from Kanto to Kalos. Kids are going to be bored out by the time they get to Sinnoh and only the hardcore gamers will fully complete the game. And I doubt 2000 hours to complete the game would be any fun...

Now, if it were something like Super Smash Bros or Pokemon Rumble, and the regions became battle stages, that might actually work.

Stages
Kanto Stage
- Cerulean Cave
- Seafoam Islands
- Mt. Moon

Johto Stage
- Ecruteak City
- Lake of Rage/Radio Tower
- Whirl Islands

Hoenn Stage
- Mt. Chimney
- Sky Pillar
- Slateport Harbor/Sootopolis City

Sinnoh Stage
- Spear Pillar
- Distortion World
- Snowpoint Temple

Unova Stage
- N's Castle
- Plasma Frigate
- Pokemon League

Choice of pokemon
- either allow all of them knowing ONE move each
- or include only specific pokemons that are usable battle-wise (no baby pokemons, final evolutions only, etc)

Last edited:
That would be horrible, for these reasons:

-Not enough hardware space.
-Over-leveling. Unless you want a Pokemon game where gym leaders are 0-1 levels apart, with no wild Pokemon for grinding, or trainers. And you can't say that everyone will change their Pokemon after each region.
-Incredibly long game.
-A LOT of work for Gamefreak. Imagine all the work gone into this game, with 6 and possibly more regions. What if this included two battle frontiers, several more battle facilities, contest halls, Pokeathlon, musicals, and Pokestar Studios. That is way too much work and programming.Even if they complete it, there's bound to be a ton of bugs and gliches because of the game's size.
-All games following this game would be automatically inferior.

However, if there's a game where you can visit 1-2 places only per region, it would be much too different from the usual Pokemon games. Keeping character cameos and things like the PWT are good enough for me.

I think there might be a way to make it work - if it were a spin-off side game.

I think a game like Pokemon Conquest might be able to actually pull it off. 6 chapters taking place in 6 different regions. 8 Gym leaders as the 'warlords' in each region - the boss being the champion with the E4 as hidden recruitables.

So yeah... unless it is an entirely different game with a drastically different set, a game with all 6 regions is going to be really hard to get it done in the right way.

Why not in a nutshell

tumblr_msqikzwyDl1r10s59o1_500.jpg

I personally think it would be kind of a mess myself. Now there is just so much that would need to be put in such a game. There are 700+ Pokemon, 6 whole regions plus possible event exclusive and post game areas, all the attacks and such would need to be added. I think honestly it would be too big a Pokemon game. I also think it would be a huge effort to come up with storylines for such a game and keep it interesting for people. Such a game would probably have to be on a console, I cant imagine a handheld system handling it, and I like that I can carry my 3DS with me when I go somewhere and not be stuck at a home console. I would hate that.

I dont really think it would work and I do not see it ever happening.

I don't think it would be an idea solely for the fact that it wouldn't make for a coherent game. Each different region has a different feeling (except Johto/Kanto) and they would integrate terribly and make for terrible gameplay.

It's not an issue for these reasons, though:

That would be horrible, for these reasons:

-Not enough hardware space.

64 GB SD cards exist. There is more space used in graphics and rendering than maps.

-A LOT of work for Gamefreak. Imagine all the work gone into this game, with 6 and possibly more regions. What if this included two battle frontiers, several more battle facilities, contest halls, Pokeathlon, musicals, and Pokestar Studios. That is way too much work and programming.Even if they complete it, there's bound to be a ton of bugs and gliches because of the game's size.

They're paid to do work. They can do more work. The extra programming involved in including these things is not the lion's share -- there is more involved in graphics and hardware interfacing than in 3D modeling and background logic.

-All games following this game would be automatically inferior.

That's an opinion.

I don't think it is a good idea.
Sure X and Y were flawed by not having enough content, but if a game has too much content then it would be too overwhelming or too long to hold the players attention all the way through.

There's a game called The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim that begs to differ.

Games with tons of content are usually really fun, but they have to be fun to play in order to keep your attention. Not the Pokemon isn't fun, but you know what I mean. While I would love to see a game with all the regions, it would be pretty difficult to somehow incorporate all of them into one game. Not to mention the over-leveling issues (you'd be level 100 before you reached the third region). The thing that sets games like Skyrim apart from Pokemon is the fact that Pokemon is a linear story, while other RPG's are much more open-world and sandbox style, which gives you a lot more freedom. Making a sandbox Pokemon game would be pretty difficult to pull off, since Pokemon lacks the traditional objectives of a standard RPG (quests, upgrading items, etc...)

In short, I'm not sure how Gamefreak would even approach such a proposition. Pokemon is just such a different RPG that it doesn't fit into the standard formulas for open-world games.

Anyone who thinks this will happen is deluding themselves. Having two regions in one game screws up the game as is, 6+ would just be unplayable.

Not that a game like that wouldn't be interesting, but it would be very unnecessary and I can't think of any reason as to why Gamefreak should put the time and work in something like that. We've been getting a lot of - if not too much - references to earlier generations and their regions and surely remakes will keep coming, and you can always play the original games with their respective regions. I'd rather have more brand new regions with brand new content and surprises.

I actually hope not. Generation II got away with having two regions because not only was it a direct sequal but it had pacing issues. GSC with Johto only would have been a little boring. With that in mind, I cannot imagine having a region as big as Hoenn and Unova being together, much less all six of them at the same time. That would be too much Pokemon story-line for me to handle.

But in fairness, I am not saying it cannot be done. Technology, especially video game technology, is always getting better and a hypothetical game this big can be made. I'm just saying it wouldn't be very practical to make a game with all the current regions.

I actually hope not. Generation II got away with having two regions because not only was it a direct sequal but it had pacing issues. GSC with Johto only would have been a little boring.

You've got it backwards, there aren't two regions because Johto is boring, Johto is boring because there's two regions. There wasn't enough memory space to have two whole regions in the same game, so they had to make Johto smaller and remove many areas and features from Kanto.

Well at first I construed this post as "appearances from all regions". So I voted yes.

So like you have a bit of Seafoam Islands + Cinnabar Island, a bit of Hoenn's west island side, a bit of Sinnoh underground etc, and the majority of it is a mix between Unova and Kalos.

Of course a FULL 6-REGION mega game is impossible, and not only that, not very fun. If it's that case, I would vote no.

I prefer quality over quantity, thanks.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom