• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should I try the Nuzlocke challenge again?

DigitalGen6

Amid the snow falling down in flakes from the sky
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. They/Them
For context: In 2022, I got my Nintendo DSi, and I began playing Pokémon Pearl (not the first time I played it, I have played it before, but deleted all of the data from it multiple times). I also watched JaidenAnimation’s Nuzlocke Vids which is what inspired this. Anyway, I’ll tell you about my (FAILED) Nuzlocke Adventure.

So, basically, this is the Nuzlocke rules:
You can only catch one Pokémon per Route and this repeats after you get every Gym badge.
Didn’t follow that rule.
If a Pokémon faints, it dies, and you can no longer use it. (in my version, you put it in a PC Box: “deceased”)
This is why I stopped doing Nuzlockes.
You have to nickname all of your Pokémon to grow closer to them.
I did. Half of them I found via Google searches.
And there’s one more rule.
Your starter depends on the last digit of your ID number (ex. if it’s 7-9, choose Water type)
Here was my team:
  • Piplup, male (Nickname: Snowy)
    • Named Snowy because penguins are often found in the snow
  • Bidoof, female (Nickname: Treeflower)
    • Named Treeflower since I searched up “beaver names” on Google
  • Starly, male (Nickname: Oreo)
    • Named Oreo since it has the same colors as an Oreo (black and white)
  • Shinx, female (Nickname: Brontë)
    • Named Brontë after Greek thunder goddess (also found on Google)
Either the Youngster or the Lass wiped out all of my whole team and I lost the Nuzlocke. I’m wanting to do it again, but what game should I try?

Edit:
The games I have are X, Alpha Sapphire, Ultra Moon, Black, HeartGold, LeafGreen, White, Pearl, Moon, Shield, Sword, Brilliant Diamond, Shining Pearl, Legends Arceus, Scarlet, Violet, Let’s Go Eevee (Idk if that was way too much information to give), and I most likely want to try to Nuzlocke Moon as I want to start over and this is probably a perfect opportunity so I guess wish me luck! I’ll make a new post that documents the start of my Nuzlocke journey.

Last edited:
I would say maybe give yourself a mercy rule. Like, only faints in trainer battles count as deaths. This way, you can train against wild Pokemon without worring about it.

I might be a bit late on that one...

In terms of games to Nuzlocke, I'd avoid the Gen 5 games (Black, White, and their sequels) due to the experience yield diminishing as you go up in levels, and without the Exp. Share, training each Pokémon will take more time than you might like.

HeartGold is an interesting one, since you can potentially get a Geodude before getting to Falkner and will stay relevant up to Morty (especially if you get a female one to counter the infamous Miltank's Attract). LeafGreen... I don't know how tough that one will be, but at least the Vs. Seeker will be most helpful for training. X has a lot of gift Pokémons and this introduced the Exp. Share as a means to speed things up. I'd say it's a good beginner game for Nuzlockes.

But ultimately, the choice is yours to make. All I can say is, go have fun with that !

That’s alright! You’re never late on this thread. And thanks!
I might be a bit late on that one...

In terms of games to Nuzlocke, I'd avoid the Gen 5 games (Black, White, and their sequels) due to the experience yield diminishing as you go up in levels, and without the Exp. Share, training each Pokémon will take more time than you might like.
I was going to! And the reason I didn’t do Black or White Nuzlocke? Already had data in those (I don’t know about White, but Black? Definitely!)
Huh. No wonder two of my Pokémon in Black are still legit teenagers!
(I wish I had one of the sequels)
HeartGold is an interesting one, since you can potentially get a Geodude before getting to Falkner and will stay relevant up to Morty (especially if you get a female one to counter the infamous Miltank's Attract).
Didn’t think of that lol. Thanks! I’m gonna get a copy of SoulSilver (since HeartGold is filled, not as filled as before I wiped my data in late 2022) and try to do a Nuzlocke there!
LeafGreen... I don't know how tough that one will be, but at least the Vs. Seeker will be most helpful for training. X has a lot of gift Pokémons and this introduced the Exp. Share as a means to speed things up. I'd say it's a good beginner game for Nuzlockes.
X is like, really easy. However, I might get a copy of Y and maybe do a Nuzlocke there (I gave my copy of Y away a few months or so ago and X is filled lmao).

That’s alright! You’re never late on this thread. And thanks!

I was going to! And the reason I didn’t do Black or White Nuzlocke? Already had data in those (I don’t know about White, but Black? Definitely!)

Didn’t think of that lol. Thanks! I’m gonna get a copy of SoulSilver (since HeartGold is filled, not as filled as before I wiped my data in late 2022) and try to do a Nuzlocke there!

X is like, really easy. However, I might get a copy of Y and maybe do a Nuzlocke there (I gave my copy of Y away a few months or so ago and X is filled lmao).
Eh. Any game can be hard with the right rules. Like, no using TMs. That would make things more interesting, since by level up, Pokemon tend to only learn normal type moves and moves of their type(s) with maybe a few moves from other types. At least, from what I noticed in looking at move lists.

That would change what Pokemon are good.

I get that. My Y file has a completed National Dex and this is my first file for this game ever !
I did consider Let's Go Eevee as one of the easiest Nuzlockes to do since you'll be catching Pokémons 95% of the time to train your own, but even then, Trainer Battles can be quite tough. But I wonder : how does a Nuzlocke of Legends Arceus even work in terms of "one Pokémon per route" rule ?

I get that. My Y file has a completed National Dex and this is my first file for this game ever !
I completed Y twice (I played as Hilda the second time I did, more on that later)
I’m really close to completing X. On the first file for that, I gave up because of the stupid Furfrou in the gardens that I couldn’t catch.
I did consider Let's Go Eevee as one of the easiest Nuzlockes to do since you'll be catching Pokémons 95% of the time to train your own, but even then, Trainer Battles can be quite tough. But I wonder : how does a Nuzlocke of Legends Arceus even work in terms of "one Pokémon per route" rule ?
I have no idea lol

in my experience, the Kanto games tend to be easy to nuzlocke. I can't really explain what makes them easy, but i only lost 3 pokemon i cared about during my Firered Nuzlocke.

in my experience, the Kanto games tend to be easy to nuzlocke. I can't really explain what makes them easy, but i only lost 3 pokemon i cared about during my Firered Nuzlocke.
Maybe if I get a DS (I have DSi), I’ll play LeafGreen again.
I’ll start from the beginning (and maybe do a Nuzlocke) as I haven’t gotten past the first gym as my team is:
Charmander (Fire; weak to Rock/Ground)
Weedle (Bug/Poison; weak to Rock/Ground)
Caterpie (Bug; weak to Rock)
Pidgey (Normal/Flying; weak to Rock, immune to Ground)
Pikachu (Electric; weak to Ground)
4/5 is weak to Rock, 3/5 is weak to Ground, one immune to Ground, and 2/5 are weak to both.

Brock's pokemon don't have any ground moves though, so you don't have to worry about that.
Thanks! But I’m still worried about most of my team being weak to Rock (and I made the dumb mistake of choosing Charmander when it’s literally weak to Rock and Water… Didn’t have to worry about that in LGE but this? Oh man oh man…).
The funny thing is, other than like fanart, Leaf isn’t even associated with Charmander, the only reason I chose it was I have a (almost two years old, wow) plush of it

true; one of the reasons why Kanto tends to be easy for me is probably that i always pick Bulbasaur, because it's my favorite kanto starter. I still think Brock is doable if you grind enough though; Geodude tends to be a joke, and you have both of the early route bugs to throw at Onix.

true; one of the reasons why Kanto tends to be easy for me is probably that i always pick Bulbasaur, because it's my favorite kanto starter. I still think Brock is doable if you grind enough though; Geodude tends to be a joke, and you have both of the early route bugs to throw at Onix.
I got LGE a year after it released, it was the third Switch game I got. Brock and Misty were a piece of cake, maybe since I had my Eevee and Bulbasaur by my side and likely others, idk, that was in my first data, which is gone. I’ve also gone as far as the E4 in that game lmao. I also had all three starters in that data.
I have a three years old Bulbasaur plush that I got from a bookstore.
I also remember getting a Charmander in X (the first time I played, got it the Christmas after I got my third 3DS, aka the day before). I have a Charizard in X (current data), and my last data in Y had Venusaur. I think I remember in the data before that, I had Blastoise, I don’t remember.

Maybe if I get a DS (I have DSi), I’ll play LeafGreen again.
I’ll start from the beginning (and maybe do a Nuzlocke) as I haven’t gotten past the first gym as my team is:
Charmander (Fire; weak to Rock/Ground)
Weedle (Bug/Poison; weak to Rock/Ground)
Caterpie (Bug; weak to Rock)
Pidgey (Normal/Flying; weak to Rock, immune to Ground)
Pikachu (Electric; weak to Ground)
4/5 is weak to Rock, 3/5 is weak to Ground, one immune to Ground, and 2/5 are weak to both.
I played Red with a Charmander recently, and Yellow recently, and in both of those games, I figured out easy ways to stall out rock types. Haven't played Leaf Green or Fire Red since I lost the cartridges, but Charmander is not as bad as people tend to think, especially early game.

I played Red with a Charmander recently, and Yellow recently, and in both of those games, I figured out easy ways to stall out rock types. Haven't played Leaf Green or Fire Red since I lost the cartridges, but Charmander is not as bad as people tend to think, especially early game.
IKR Please do tell me how to beat the Rock gym in LG! Of course, I’ll likely wait until I get a DS to play it again, so it’s going to take a long while.
(Why? Because GBA has no backlight)

The games I have are X, Alpha Sapphire, Ultra Moon, Black, HeartGold, LeafGreen, White, Pearl, Moon, Shield, Sword, Brilliant Diamond, Shining Pearl, Legends Arceus, Scarlet, Violet, Let’s Go Eevee (Idk if that was way too much information to give).....

Trade Pokémon White for White Version 2 and be happier.

Trade Pokémon White for White Version 2 and be happier.
That’s funny.
The thing is, I actually wanted White 2 for my birthday last year, then I was asked if White was the one I wanted and I said yes. Two reasons why I made the mistake.
First of all, I blindly agreed to White.
Second, I wanted to be left alone, and I said yes with like no further discussion.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom