• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should we get more Ultra Beasts in Gen VIII?

Guzma

Actually Your Boy Guzma
Reaction score
Okay, I have to admit it: I love the Ultra Beasts. I'm normally not big on "legendary" tier Pokémon, but the Ultra Beasts are so damn weird that I can't help liking them. They're some of the craziest concepts in Pokemon - Nihilego's the stereotypical anime "jellyfish alien," Buzzwole is downright hilarious, Pheromosa is a really cool subversion of what we expected a cockroach Pokémon would be like, Guzzlord is terrifying and kinda cute at the same time, and Celesteela, Xurkitree and Kartana are just plain cool. So, personally I hope that we get more of them in the next Gen, since GF can use them as an excuse to make designs that are even weirder and cooler than the usual post-Gen V designs. The only downside is it'd make the metagame even more dominated by the UBs than it already is, sadly.

Okay, I have to admit it: I love the Ultra Beasts. I'm normally not big on "legendary" tier Pokémon, but the Ultra Beasts are so damn weird that I can't help liking them. They're some of the craziest concepts in Pokemon - Nihilego's the stereotypical anime "jellyfish alien," Buzzwole is downright hilarious, Pheromosa is a really cool subversion of what we expected a cockroach Pokémon would be like, Guzzlord is terrifying and kinda cute at the same time, and Celesteela, Xurkitree and Kartana are just plain cool. So, personally I hope that we get more of them in the next Gen, since GF can use them as an excuse to make designs that are even weirder and cooler than the usual post-Gen V designs. The only downside is it'd make the metagame even more dominated by the UBs than it already is, sadly.

Firstly, glad to be the first one of liked this thread, with being the first one who answer you also.

They idea of UB were so good. It is a new one, and one of most exciting event is when, you, and lillie are working together with the Legendary Pokemon. I do Love the moment when the mother will do a fuse with first.

Unless Gen VIII is closely tied to Gen VII, whether by story or themes, then no, I don't think new UBs are necessary.

See, I think new Ultra Beasts would make a lot of sense for future Gens regardless of whether it'd be tied to Gen VII. There's hundreds of "normal" species of Pokémon, and we keep discovering more - who's to say there aren't undiscovered species of UBs? It would be odd if Ultra Space only had seven species - Well, technically thirteen if you count Necrozma and the Cosmog line. Even though they don't have Beast Boost, the backstory states Cosmog and its evos are UBs, and Necrozma is hinted (but not confirmed) as being a UB that's gone native. Granted, I could understand if GF didn't want to introduce more, but considering how they tied in new stuff for Zygarde into Gen VII, if they don't make Stars, they could give Necrozma some new stuff in Gen VIII, which could be used justify more UBs appearing in some manner. Of course, the downside to more UBs is that they could end up dominating the metagame more than they already do, unless they're competitively weak like poor Guzzlord.

I've always seen the Ultra Beasts represented The Seven Deadly Sins as a sorta theme.
UB-01:Greed
This is because what happens between it and Lusamine in the endgame. Where *horrible flashbacks* that happened, and Lusamine's Obsession/Greed over it.
UB-02 Absorption; Pride-Mostly because of what its Sun Pokedex entry states about it.
Buzzwole:
This Ultra Beast appeared from another world. It shows off its body, but whether that display is a boast or a threat remains unclear.
It seems to really take pride in those muscles.
UB-02 Beauty:Lust-This one is obvious.
UB-03:Envy-I didn't know where to put this one.
UB-04 Blade:Wrath-For some reason I think just fits. Must be the FMAB Fan in me.
UB-04 Blaster:Sloth-I read its Pokedex entries saying it has high speed while flying, yet it fits best to Sloth. A FMAB reference? Sun & Moon are pretty anime inspired.
UB-05:Gluttony-This one was even more obvious than UB-02, heck it's code-named Glutton.

So if there is more UB's I would hope that they also have another theme like this one, there is a parallel version of them but I can't remember what the name of them were. So I just assume they were the opposite of each of them.

There could also be other themes like fears or something like that. I would like more or more explanation on them.

The problem is that their gimmick of "Are they really Pokemon?" is already resolved, the next time we see an Ultra Beast we'll already know that it has a normal name and a Pokedex number, and that it will be catchable.

However, it depends on how much they want to connect the UB dimension with their "multiple dimensions" overarching plot. I'd like to see more, as outside of the bug ones they got surprisingly good designs, ages better than the Alola forms.

The problem is that their gimmick of "Are they really Pokemon?" is already resolved, the next time we see an Ultra Beast we'll already know that it has a normal name and a Pokedex number, and that it will be catchable.
However, it depends on how much they want to connect the UB dimension with their "multiple dimensions" overarching plot. I'd like to see more, as outside of the bug ones they got surprisingly good designs, ages better than the Alola forms.

We still have the Fallers to be explained more properly, along with how exactly Ultra Wormholes work besides Cosmog and the Legendaries abilities. Besides I don't want this plot thread to close so suddenly like they did with Mega Evolution and then throw out the window like it was not being built for the past few games.

I don't tend to think so. Mind you, I love the Ultra Beasts; Xurkitree is my favorite Pokémon ever. But we got a nice spread of ideas in SM, and Game Freak clearly didn't have that many interesting thoughts about them from a story perspective because only Nihilego and Guzzlord have any plot value; the rest are literally just the same gameplay sequence repeated three times over for the sake of padding, with nothing interesting to be said about them other than some biology trivia. To me, that suggests that Game Freak made the point they wanted to: they're an assortment of weird alien creatures that appear in our world as invasive species. How many more do they need to illustrate that?

Besides, as you said, they're already taking over the metagame, and I don't think it's very useful to keep clogging the drains with more and more overpowered Pokémon. They're bad enough about that as it is with Legendary Pokémon. Stuffing in more Ultra Beasts feels like it would be begging for a power creep.

Last edited:
If they're going to make them all 570 BST and borderline min-maxed? No, no more please. If they want to try including more that are lower power levels, sure, that might be ok and might even be interesting to see a non-legendary evolving UB line. Things like the Caterpie or Rattata line of the UB world, for example, could be fun to see.

Personally I don't really care for more though, since I'm not a fan of the current ones outside of Kartana and Nihilego (and even then I'm not crazy about those two), so if we don't get any it's no loss for me.

I've seen enough Celesteelas everywhere, so I don't really want anymore UBs around. I'm perfectly fine with them being limited to a single generation.

I pretty much agree with everything Esserise and Zeb said above.

Most likely, Ultra Space does contain more than seven distanct species in it, but a) the point was already proven that Ultra Space contains powerful creatures, b) the so-called plot that they used to introduce most of those creatures was repetitive and unnecessary, c) we don't need more overpowered creatures in the metagame, though if they introduce "weaker" Ultra Beasts, that would be okay, and d) while I do still feel like there's a potential to explore the idea of Ultra Space as a location and the fallers as a concept some more, but given how well Game Freak did with further exploring/expanding upon the Distortion World after Gen IV, I'm not too hopeful

I suppose the latter half of c and d go together, as by exploring Ultra Space further, one can encounter "weaker" species that wouldn't necessarily travel through the Ultra Wormholes...

Yes, add them. I think that they can do things like this: Waay more UBs entered the Pokemon world then we thought, some are in Sinnoh. Finding these UBs would be cool...
But hear me out on this.
Maybe the Disortion Realm and Ultra Space can be one and the same! Ultra Beasts could live in the Distortion Realm, a different sector of Ultra Space where Giratina lives. Giratina is a weird Pokemon, and that would go with the theme of Ultra Beasts being flat out strange.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom