• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

@UB-01 Kenobi I got Zygarde with 31IVs on HP, Attack, and Defense, 240 on SP.Defense with a Careful nature. It's speed is at 202 with only 7IVs. Should I keep Zygarde as it is since this is the best one I got so far or should I continue soft resetting?

If it's gonna be the defensive Coil set then probably, yeah. If you wanna use Dragon Dance then prioritize Atk and Speed

If it's gonna be the defensive Coil set then probably, yeah. If you wanna use Dragon Dance then prioritize Atk and Speed
I can always increase Zygarde speed IVs with bottle caps in Pokemon Sun and Moon since the event Zygarde is already at level 100.

I can always increase Zygarde speed IVs with bottle caps in Pokemon Sun and Moon since the event Zygarde is already at level 100.

True, in which case it doesn't matter what IVs it has since you can just pop a Gold and max them all out. Or else just use 2 Silvers (if Gold is substantially rarer), since SpA doesn't matter

True, in which case it doesn't matter what IVs it has since you can just pop a Gold and max them all out. Or else just use 2 Silvers (if Gold is substantially rarer), since SpA doesn't matter
Yeah since the IV judge said that Zygarde's stats are superior and the only stat that needs a boost is the speed and maybe the SpD. We don't know how common the bottle caps are and how to get them yet, so we'll have to wait until Tuesday or when we're playing Sun and Moon.

Excuse me, I have a question. If I were to have an Ash-Greninja on my team, what nature, IVs spread and moveset should be? One thing for sure is that Water Shuriken will be increased.

Excuse me, I have a question. If I were to have an Ash-Greninja on my team, what nature, IVs spread and moveset should be? One thing for sure is that Water Shuriken will be increased.
You definitely want a speed-boosting Nature. I'd recommend Naive or Hasty so you can use a mixed set, but Timid works too. If you go with a special set IVs are 31/x/31/31/31/31 and for a mixed set ideally you want 6IVs but that's hard to breed so I usually settle for 31/31/31/31/x/31 (for Naive) or 31/31/x/31/31/31 (for Hasty). Greninja has so many coverage options so the moveset can vary a lot based on what you want to cover for and/or what your team needs. For a special set you can go with something along the lines of

Greninja
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water move (Hydro Pump, Surf, Scald, or Water Shuriken depending on how powerful it's become)
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot/Extrasensory/Substitute/Taunt/Spikes/Toxic Spikes

For a mixed set

Greninja
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam/Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick/U-Turn

You definitely want a speed-boosting Nature. I'd recommend Naive or Hasty so you can use a mixed set, but Timid works too. If you go with a special set IVs are 31/x/31/31/31/31 and for a mixed set ideally you want 6IVs but that's hard to breed so I usually settle for 31/31/31/31/x/31 (for Naive) or 31/31/x/31/31/31 (for Hasty). Greninja has so many coverage options so the moveset can vary a lot based on what you want to cover for and/or what your team needs. For a special set you can go with something along the lines of

Greninja
Timid Nature
- Water move (Hydro Pump, Surf, Scald, or Water Shuriken depending on how powerful it's become)
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

For a mixed set

Greninja
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam/Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick/U-Turn

I see. So the speeding nature may be the best nature for Ash-Greninja. I've already knew about Protean. But I believe that the Greninja have an exclusive ability, Battle Bond. An ability that when a special Greninja defeats a pokemon, it turn into the Ash-Greninja. Water Shuriken becomes more powerful.

I see. So the speeding nature may be the best nature for Ash-Greninja. I've already knew about Protean. But I believe that the Greninja have an exclusive ability, Battle Bond. An ability that when a special Greninja defeats a pokemon, it turn into the Ash-Greninja. Water Shuriken becomes more powerful.
Yeah but you can still use Protean to help net the KO to get Battle Bond ;)

Greninja
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

For a mixed set

Greninja
Hasty/Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam/Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick/U-Turn

I would tend to disagree - IF one is determined to use Ash-Greninja, I would recommend a set of

Greninja @ Life Orb
Battle Bond
Timid
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam/HP Fire/Grass Knot/Taunt/Spikes

Reasoning being that Protean Greninja is 100% stronger than Ash-Greninja unless Ash-Greninja is using a Water or Dark type move, so Ash-Greninja should be relying on brute-forcing its way through teams with Hydro Pump (which is, alas, inaccurate) and Dark Pulse rather than using coverage moves (since Protean coverage moves from regular Greninja are noticeably stronger). Water Shuriken is also 100% required on Ash-Greninja because the 1 niche I can think of for Ash-Greninja over regular Greninja is that it can outprioritize and revenge kill max speed Talonflame (but who even uses that when you can use roost SD or spdef stallbreaker).

Also, this is all assuming you can breed Battle Bond onto future greninjas. If you're required to use the Hardy nature-locked greninja from the demo then it will be a terrible pokemon, no reason to use it since it will be slower and weaker than regular gren.

Hi All

I'm really new to competitive battling, learning via Pokemon Showdown on Smogon.
I have taken a liking to a Volturn strategy. Any suggestions/improvements (IVs 31 unless stated)

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 168 HP / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dark Pulse

Really trying to force a situation so Talonflame to set up on, if not rely on general bulk to get me over the line.

Hi All

I'm really new to competitive battling, learning via Pokemon Showdown on Smogon.
I have taken a liking to a Volturn strategy. Any suggestions/improvements (IVs 31 unless stated)

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog

Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

Talonflame
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dark Pulse

Really trying to force a situation so Talonflame to set up on, if not rely on general bulk to get me over the line.
Firstly, it's good to see another bloke getting into battling competitively, since the Battle Center needs more activity these days. Good on you, Boss. :D

Secondly, as for the team itself... well, I can't really offer that much advice since I don't really do much competitive battling nowadays and thus can't offer any improvemnts to counter specific things your team may or may not struggle against, but I have noticed a few things that may or may not help:

Firstly, while an itemless Talonflame is good for Acrobatics use for those who don't want the recoil of Brave Bird, I would say that it is a personal pet peeve of mine since there are items that you can give it which will be used up as the battle goes on, thus giving you a slight edge. For example, Berries - you could give it a Sitrus Berry for a chance to set up a Swords Dance with less risk or just as some much-needed recovery on a frail 'mon like this, or you could give it a Liechi Berry to give you a last-minute Attack boost to beat a much-needed threat (that and it gives you a pretty powerful Natural Gift Grass if you want to do some damage to Water types).

As for other single-use items to take advantage of Acrobatics... the obvious pick would be a Flying Gem, but those aren't actually obtainable in-game right now so maybe in Gen VII. The second thing that springs to mind would be a Red Card because I'm wierd like that to potentially switch out something your opponent sent in to counter Talonflame and give you a free Swords Dance assuming the thing in question doesn't have a Rock move. Or, since you don't seem to want to use Flare Blitz on there for some reason, you could give it a Focus Sash to set up a 100% guarenteed Swords Dance or switch in/do some damage to a sweeper, assuming your opponent doesn't have Stealth Rocks set up. Not that I'd recomend that last one - in fact I'd strongly advise against it - but that's besides the point.

...OK, with my main issue I have with this team out of the way, let's move on to some other, less important things: for example is there any particular reason you are using Dark Pulse on Rotom-W or Focus Blast on Tormadus-T? Because HP Ice and Heat Wave are also respectable alteratives. Unless you're trying to target specific 'mons that give you problems like Heatran, but that's besides the point.

And the final thing I can be bothered to point out: why the Life Orb on that Scizor? Because it seems like it's designed to be a tad more on the supportive side, what with it getting rid of Stealth Rocks and all, so it wouldn't exactly be good for it to kill itself/put itself into range of a killing blow from the opponent while attacking, would it?

OK, that's all I can really complain about since I don't actually use Landorus and therefore don't know s*** about it, so whether you decide to alter this team or not, I wish thee best of luck in your future matches, Boss. Now watch Glory Blaze or Slife totally discredit all of this post in one go.

Hi All

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog

Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

Talonflame
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dark Pulse

First a quick note: Volt-Turn is all about maintaining offensive pressure, so you need to make sure that every time you switch in a Pokemon it can either
1) dish out substantial damage (usually a choiced or life orb user)
2) u-turn/volt-switch out (a u-turn/volt switch user obviously)
3) set up hazards/status on a predicted switch (usually a pivot or otherwise bulky mon)
Note that this means not every member of the team needs to know volt switch or u-turn. You want to have some good pivots that can come in on the right Pokemon/move and get the upper hand in that turn by putting themselves in a strategic position. If you win the turn-by-turn battle you'll eventually win the war. That's why team synergy is really important for this playstyle.

Onto your team. Landorus-T is always a great to have on volt-turn and the defensive set works alright for your team, but choice scarf works well too if you decide to add another defensive mon to your team. Scizor/Rotom-W have great synergy and so they do really well as a volt-turn pair. I would go for a banded set on Scizor, but if you want it to be defensive/bulky I'd just use Mega Scizor and replace Mega Manectric with a fast hazard remover like Starmie or Latios. As for Talonflame, having u-turn on a set up mon is sort of counter-productive, so I'd replace that with Flare Blitz and I'd give it Sky Plate/Life Orb/Choice Band so it can get off consistent big damage (since I personally prefer Brave Bird w/ item over Acrobatics w/ no item). With Volt-Turn it's nice to have powerful choice banded/specs/life orb users that can launch nukes and then switch out. I would replace Tornadus' set with something like this:
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off
The Mega-Manectric set looks fine, but if you decide to keep MegaMan I'd consider replacing Tornadus with something that has more reliable special bulk like Clefable, Mew, or Assault Vest Raikou.

I hope that helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions :)

OK, that's all I can really complain about since I don't actually use Landorus and therefore don't know s*** about it, so whether you decide to alter this team or not, I wish thee best of luck in your future matches, Boss. Now watch Glory Blaze or Slife totally discredit all of this post in one go.
Post discredited, needs more Bidoof.

Thanks a lot gents, really very helpful. Am enjoying playing competitively & I enjoy the planning involved in building teams.

Hey guys. I'm thinking of training up a Bronzong. I'm not totally sure about my setup though. I'm going for a defensive set, with the intent to outlast the opponent and wear them down with Toxic, Taking potshots with Gyro Ball when recovery isn't necessary. Here's what I'm thinking:

Bronzong
  • Ability: Heatproof/Levitate (not being picky, both seem decent)
  • IVs: I really don't care. I don't have the patience to get a really favourable set.
  • Nature: I don't really mind, so long as it's not detrimental.
  • EVs: I'm thinking an even spread between HP, Def, and Sp.Def.
  • Item: Chesto Berry
  • Moves:
    • Rest
    • Recycle
    • Toxic
    • Gyro Ball
So, seeing that, what do you guys think?

Hey guys. I'm thinking of training up a Bronzong. I'm not totally sure about my setup though. I'm going for a defensive set, with the intent to outlast the opponent and wear them down with Toxic, Taking potshots with Gyro Ball when recovery isn't necessary. Here's what I'm thinking:

Bronzong
  • Ability: Heatproof/Levitate (not being picky, both seem decent)
  • IVs: I really don't care. I don't have the patience to get a really favourable set.
  • Nature: I don't really mind, so long as it's not detrimental.
  • EVs: I'm thinking an even spread between HP, Def, and Sp.Def.
  • Item: Chesto Berry
  • Moves:
    • Rest
    • Recycle
    • Toxic
    • Gyro Ball
So, seeing that, what do you guys think?

Waaay too passive and easily worked around. You can just PP stall it out of gyro balls and then any steel or poison type beats it 1v1, and it can be abused by dark and ghost types because it has to waste a turn to use Recycle. Just use the standard:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/0 (if no HP Ice)
or 31/30/31/x/31/1 (for HP Ice)
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power Ice / Toxic / Protect

If you aren't willing to go for the optimal IVs and Nature that's your prerogative, although I would highly recommend reconsidering since you WILL see a noticeable improvement in performance if you get the good stuff.

Waaay too passive and easily worked around. You can just PP stall it out of gyro balls and then any steel or poison type beats it 1v1, and it can be abused by dark and ghost types because it has to waste a turn to use Recycle. Just use the standard:

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/0 (if no HP Ice)
or 31/30/31/x/31/1 (for HP Ice)
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power Ice / Toxic / Protect

If you aren't willing to go for the optimal IVs and Nature that's your prerogative, although I would highly recommend reconsidering since you WILL see a noticeable improvement in performance if you get the good stuff.
Hmm, I guess I hadn't considered how little PP Gyro Ball actually had, that's a good point. This looks pretty good.
I do know full well that I'd see better return out of my Pokemon with an optimal IV spread, I've just never had the patience to actually work for it. I have lucked out with some perfect Attack and Speed Dittos, so I can get one or (if I really feel like it, 2) perfect IVs easily enough, but any more and it just starts dragging on for me (plus I'd need to find Dittos with IVs in them). The natures are more easy to pull for though, I guess working for a good one of those wouldn't be too bad.
Quick question though, does "SpD" stand for Speed or Special Defence? I feel like the capital D should tip me off, but it's easy to make a typo.

Hmm, I guess I hadn't considered how little PP Gyro Ball actually had, that's a good point. This looks pretty good.
I do know full well that I'd see better return out of my Pokemon with an optimal IV spread, I've just never had the patience to actually work for it. I have lucked out with some perfect Attack and Speed Dittos, so I can get one or (if I really feel like it, 2) perfect IVs easily enough, but any more and it just starts dragging on for me (plus I'd need to find Dittos with IVs in them). The natures are more easy to pull for though, I guess working for a good one of those wouldn't be too bad.
Quick question though, does "SpD" stand for Speed or Special Defence? I feel like the capital D should tip me off, but it's easy to make a typo.

SpD is special defense, Spe is Speed. It is confusing, I agree lol

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom