• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sludge Bomb VS. Sludge Wave

Reaction score
Sludge Bomb and Sludge Wave are pretty interesting moves in my opinion, Sludge Wave has 5 BP more than Sludge Bomb with two secondary effects, being able to hit all Pokemon in Double battle and all Adjacent Pokemon in triple battles, which is pretty neat.
While Sludge Bomb has 90 BP and a 30% chance of poisoning which is also pretty neat. Having the same BP as Tbolt,Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Psychic, Bug Buzz, Earth Power and Energy ball, is a factor that makes Sludge Bomb great, too.
So which one is better?
(This is opinion based so no hate pls)
Sludge Bomb is better in my opinion

Personally I prefer Sludge bomb. I keep forgetting Sludge wave's existence from time to time.

I love Sludge Wave, basically because I love Triple Battles. I love having Nidoking in the centre with Earthquake and Sludge Wave, with Skarmory on one side and Bronzong with Levitate on the other.

overall, I'm more of a sludge bomb fan, but it depends on the mon. On something offensive like gengar, sludge wave would be the preferable option, unless perhaps you're running a hex set...meanwhile, on a fat mon such as mega venusaur, sludge bomb is better. Though if you want to avoid status confliction, ie said venu is also running sleep powder or you have another mon on your team that relies on burning things, you could run sludge wave anyway. I like having these two similar special poison moves with benefits over each other, it irks me when types only have one move for each spectrum of attack that is ever used, no variety. Looking at you, ground.

Edit: eh, wait....venu doesn't get sludge wave? Whatever, same point

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom