• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM004: It's Mokuroh! Catching Pokémon in Alola!!

Gotta wonder what Mimikyu was saying? Maybe he was saying disturbing things like how he wanted to murder Pikachu? We will never know, but it leaves me curious!
That's probably exactly what it was. Mimikyu is not the lonely and innocent creature everyone thought it would be. It is a demon hellspawn that strikes fear into where ever it goes.

Gotta wonder what Mimikyu was saying? Maybe he was saying disturbing things like how he wanted to murder Pikachu? We will never know, but it leaves me curious!

I suspect that it got really angry that Team Rocket mistaken it for Pikachu. And thus began a barrage of curses at Pikachu along with plans to make Team Rocket suffer for their insolence. And I think it might be intending to hunt down every Pikachu for its malicious hatred. I think Team Rocket should think twice about capturing Pikachu. I don't think Giovanni would be happy of seeing a dead Pikachu be given to him.

I suspect that it got really angry that Team Rocket mistaken it for Pikachu. And thus began a barrage of curses at Pikachu along with plans to make Team Rocket suffer for their insolence. And I think it might be intending to hunt down every Pikachu for its malicious hatred. I think Team Rocket should think twice about capturing Pikachu. I don't think Giovanni would be happy of seeing a dead Pikachu be given to him.
That makes a whole lot of sense! In the case of your and my stance, Meowth has every right to be disturbed by Mimikyu. He was probably saying things that a kids anime couldn't even repeat haha. Though, I bet it involved the f word and a knife (or something on those lines).

@Lion-Cub - Hell no it aint! I have a feeling its going to be a gag we'll see appear every now and then. Poor Meowth. Also, poor Pikachu. Pikachu can understand him too!

Team Rocket waste so much time trying to catch a common Pikachu. Professional TR members go after legendaries.

Team Rocket waste so much time trying to catch a common Pikachu. Professional TR members go after legendaries.
That Pikachu must be level 5,000 by now though even though he struggles to beat Pokemon that are obviously way lower level he is. I blame Satoshi because he obviously doesn't know how to use Pikachu at his best! If that was me out there, I'd have Pikachu thunderbolt Golems and Rhydons. Oh wait.

I love the chemistry between her and Ash, it feels so cute and... genuine.

This I really don't agree with it. Mallow gets the most screentime with Ash and yet their interactions are really hollow and not memorable. For getting more screentime she also feels really bland and "meh", like she doesn't have some unique trait that makes her shine. Mallow also feels too much of a cheerleader. I know people complained about this in XY but at least they had reasons to admire Ash, here Mallow feels like the generic nice girl that becomes your friend isntantly in your typical school story.

I've had friends like Mao, who are just friendly people who make friends with just about everyone. She has no ulterior motives for wanting to be friends, just a nice girl who gets along with everyone.

However, I won't disagree with how you feel about their screen time together as what's memorable to me may not be for you. For example, one of my favorite scenes in the old Sailor Moon anime was when the titular character jumps off a high area to save her daughter despite not knowing how to fly... some people hate that scene.

This is the first few episodes, and because she's not there because of a crush from a few years ago or because of being impressed, I want to see their friendship blossom and see where it goes.

This I really don't agree with it. Mallow gets the most screentime with Ash and yet their interactions are really hollow and not memorable. For getting more screentime she also feels really bland and "meh", like she doesn't have some unique trait that makes her shine. Mallow also feels too much of a cheerleader. I know people complained about this in XY but at least they had reasons to admire Ash, here Mallow feels like the generic nice girl that becomes your friend isntantly in your typical school story.
Well, perhaps my lack of knowledge on other anime prevents me from finding her cliché.
In any case, I find her assertiveness to be a pretty unique trait amongst the cast, she even acts like a leader of sorts towards the group and it feels like she's the one who most strongly ties them together (though I think it's too early to jump to conclusions). By "genuine" I mean that she's willing to make friends and hang out with Ash from the start, and I don't really see any problems with that.

Well, perhaps my lack of knowledge on other anime prevents me from finding her cliché.
In any case, I find her assertiveness to be a pretty unique trait amongst the cast, she even acts like a leader of sorts towards the group and it feels like she's the one who most strongly ties them together (though I think it's too early to jump to conclusions). By "genuine" I mean that she's willing to make friends and hang out with Ash from the start, and I don't really see any problems with that.

I don't find her cliche at all. I agree with all you said about her. It's refreshing to see a female leader who doesn't need to be masculine or ultra tough to be a leader. People trust her lead and listen to what she says. She makes friends without getting electrocuted or needing a person to travel with, and I'm sure, as I am with the rest of the cast, we're going to find out there's a lot to her than what we initially see.

I've had friends like Mao, who are just friendly people who make friends with just about everyone. She has no ulterior motives for wanting to be friends, just a nice girl who gets along with everyone.

However, I won't disagree with how you feel about their screen time together as what's memorable to me may not be for you. For example, one of my favorite scenes in the old Sailor Moon anime was when the titular character jumps off a high area to save her daughter despite not knowing how to fly... some people hate that scene.

This is the first few episodes, and because she's not there because of a crush from a few years ago or because of being impressed, I want to see their friendship blossom and see where it goes.

That's okay but it's not interesting. I think the problem is that the characters introductions are so rushed that there is barely time to meet those characters. Old companions had an episode dedicated to their introductions and everyone meet Ash in a different way so their personality and relatioship with Ash was better established. We barely know anything about Mao.

Also Mao and everyone is too friendly to Satoshi when they barely know him, they made a party for him in the second episode for christ's sake. Like people could say Citron was too friendly but he had a battle with Ash, interacted more with him and saw him jump from the tower so it made Citron admire Satoshi. At least we knew and saw why he was attached to him. People wanted more conflict and we got the opposite and now it's even worse.

Also Mao and everyone is too friendly to Satoshi when they barely know him, they made a party for him in the second episode for christ's sake. Like people could say Citron was too friendly but he had a battle with Ash, interacted more with him and saw him jump from the tower so it made Citron admire Satoshi. At least we knew and saw why he was attached to him. People wanted more conflict and we got the opposite and now it's even worse.

This is how it is in the games, though. Alola is just this totally laidback place where people walk around shirtless and lay on beeches and fish all day. Being friendly and open with a stranger seems totally normal (especially if its a culture accustomed to tourists). It's not like Ash comes off as untrustworthy either.

On Mallow - it's fine for relationships to develop at their own pace, and there's nothing wrong with her character (simply because we don't know that much beyond a first impression), but I think it's fair to say her screentime in this episode wasn't very well utilised. When two characters are alone, sitting across each other at a table or traveling together, I expect more interaction than just expository dialogue. We have a much bigger cast this time around, so they need to make any screentime for characters count by making characters come across strongly. I don't think they achieved that with Mallow.

I really like the idea of a genuinely friendly, strong girl leading the gang but I agree that they missed an opportunity with her in this episode. I want to see what more there is to her and she barely even spoke let alone did anything. I hope she gets used properly soon.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with Mallow but there is not much to her character because we haven't seen anything about them. In the fist episodes of May,Misty,Dawn,Iris,Serena,etc you already knew more about them because the anime gave them more time. This episode felt like she could had a major role or at least show her character more but she was just tagging along.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with Mallow but there is not much to her character because we haven't seen anything about them. In the fist episodes of May,Misty,Dawn,Iris,Serena,etc you already knew more about them because the anime gave them more time. This episode felt like she could had a major role or at least show her character more but she was just tagging along.
I took it that they are just trying to force the characters on the screen in the early going. Mallow didn't add anything to the episode nor would of it been any different if she wasn't there. I feel like all the characters will get character development eventually though because I have an itching feeling this series will be more character driven than battle driven.

I have an itching feeling this series will be more character driven than battle driven.
Maybe but it depends of the characters' goals. If they are another Misty or Cilan then it will be hard to pull

Misty wanted be a water pokemon master but never did much to archive that. She and Brock did almost nothing inJohto until the Whirl cup. The typical "type master" goals never get proper development and focus because they are so vage and it seems like SM companions are closer to them than to May or Dawn.

Misty wanted be a water pokemon master but never did much to archive that. She and Brock did almost nothing inJohto until the Whirl cup. The typical "type master" goals never get proper development and focus because they are so vage and it seems like SM companions are closer to them than to May or Dawn.
At least its still early so there is still room for them to develop further than what you believe to be the case. I personally like the cast and think they're a relaxing bunch. I rarely watch Pokemon for development, but rather to just watch a fun episode of a kids show. Not that development is a bad thing though!

I feel like all the characters will get character development eventually though because I have an itching feeling this series will be more character driven than battle driven.
I strongly agree with this and I can't help but roll my eyes at comparisons with Kasumi.

I don't believe that character development and progression in your goal are the same thing. The Team Rocket trio are the classic example of this.

Kasumi did get character development. She did also progress towards her goal, but the two weren't always connected. Did they get her arc wrong? Yes. The show was new and series planning was still finding its feet. I know the general sentiment is that they also fudged Iris' development (though I can't comment myself), whereas Haruka and Hikari's arcs are generally praised. Can we generalise that plot coupon quests = better arcs? Well, Serena had to collect some keys and I think opinion is really split as to how well her arc progressed/ended.

Personally, I'm hopeful that we will get well developed companions without them having to jump through arbitrary hoops.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom