• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM006: The Shocking and Prickly Togedemaru!

Hoh boy, it's gonna be fun seeing how TPCI handles the sparkly vomit scene! :ROFLMAO:

You have bigger cajones than I thought you would, SM! I knew you were going to try emulating Kanto's slapstick, but it looks like you're bringing back its energy, edginess and insanity as well.
I approve.(y)

Yeah, Ash vomiting on Pikachu was definitely something I'd never thought I'd see...

I realize Japan seems to be more sensitive to vomit than Americans, I remember seeing vomit in a ton of cartoons but it always seems to be censored in anime---I know Gintama always does, and speaking of Applimon whenever the Appmon are freed from the control of the bad guy virus they always vomit pixels in almost the exact same way as Ash. On the other hand Japan seems much more willing to show poop than American cartoons.

When was the last time we saw Team Rocket working odd jobs like in this episode?

They should of left out the vomit bit. That is inappropriate for a kids show in my opinion.

I never understood why "vomit" is considered inappropriate for kids. Children throw up all the time. It's not scary, and it's certainly not violent. It's an ordinary function when the body doesn't like a certain organism within itself to try to get rid of the disturbance within.

American children, in general, are sheltered from the oddest things in comparison to many other countries. We won't show someone vomit, but we will show a dog getting shot at or put down in a kid's movie/show. Not logical...

Wait, you guys think Satoshi vomited on Pikachu? That interpretation never even crossed my mind.

When I watched it I saw it more like how characters breathe fire whenever they eat something spicy. It's a cartoony spit-take at worst.

This episode solidifies the fact that people are either going to love this series or hate it. I don't see many falling in between. Those here who enjoyed this episode like the comedy this series is going with and it's fine but to me the comedy seems far too zaney even compared to previous series. I think it will work for me at times depending on the characters. Yes, for a series that is taking such a huge departure from the usual formula up until now every episode will be hit or miss for me personally depending on what character is being focused on and how the anime translates them from the games.

This episode features a character I could honestly care less about who I didn't care for in the games either so I'm not really going to review it one way or another. I'm simply just not that interested in this episode. I felt like last episode improved on the art but it was ATROCIOUS this episode. I don't think I've ever seen background Pokemon look so god-aweful, even in the first season of the anime back in the early 90's. Especially when it featured fan favorites such as Eevee or Psyduck. The funny faces thing is forced a bit too much, though I can accept that they're just paying tribute to the game (those wide eyed shots of Team Rocket reminded me a lot of Team Skull in the games).

What I will say that whether this series is a disaster or a pass in my eyes all depends on how they adapt the story from the games. I won't give game spoilers here but I feel the story in the games is the best story we've had, even better than gen 5. Lillie in particular felt like such a strong character in the games so I'll be really disappointed if they don't do something big with her. As it's only episode 5 there's still plenty of time but I think I'm going to use the first Totem Pokemon encounter to really make my decision on the series. I can deal with filler comedy slice-of-life episodes like this so long as the series can get serious enough when it needs to.

Wait, you guys think Satoshi vomited on Pikachu? That interpretation never even crossed my mind.

When I watched it I saw it more like how characters breathe fire whenever they eat something spicy. It's a cartoony spit-take at worst.

Originally, I thought like you also. It was never quite clear to me that it was anything---but something disgusting like stank breath. I think it's a scene that can be translated however one sees fit to make it funny for them.

I never understood why "vomit" is considered inappropriate for kids. Children throw up all the time. It's not scary, and it's certainly not violent. It's an ordinary function when the body doesn't like a certain organism within itself to try to get rid of the disturbance within.

American children, in general, are sheltered from the oddest things in comparison to many other countries. We won't show someone vomit, but we will show a dog getting shot at or put down in a kid's movie/show. Not logical...

It's not that is inappropriate but it falls into the toilet humor category which is the worst of the worst.

Are you going to reply to every criticism people writes here? get over yourself

ii kanji said:
TBF satoshi does make a vomiting noise. We all vomit, but who here spits? I definitely find one more disgusting than the other...

He also kind of makes a vomiting noise when he breathes fire after eating something really spicy. It's a common audio trope for "this tastes awful."

I am really enjoying this series, I never thought I'd be saying that.
It's also very nice to see that many things look like their game counterparts, especially Kukui's lab with the loft and the water tank (that outside shot was so close to the game, it impressed me)
The use of game music is also something I appreciate, it kind of brings the anime and games together, loved it.
Also, those Mimikyu/Bewear gags will be the death of me. I didn't think they could top last week's running-on-water bear but it impressed me.

Last edited:
It's not that is inappropriate but it falls into the toilet humor category which is the worst of the worst.

Are you going to reply to every criticism people writes here? get over yourself

I do find this particularly funny coming from you since you tend to be negative towards everyone on here. If someone thinks something could be good, you seem to often take it upon yourself to tell people why the idea is stupid and why only your way would be superior.

I respond to good and bad. I'm not policing to make sure everyone agrees with me. For one, I like to understand people's opinions, and I almost press "like" to every comment.

Also, vomit is often completely taken out of animated shows when it comes to America. No matter whether it's humorous or serious thus it must be deemed "inappropriate." My speaking on this subject was on the idea of "vomit often being omitted" from viewer's eyes on television. Do questions about censorship upset you, trigger you in any way? Being actively involved beyond one sentence bother your sense of what's right and wrong?

Please, before getting your feathers ruffled up, think before talking and maybe "get over yourself" before giving that advice to anyone else.

Eh, I don't know about you guys but I felt this episode was rather weak in my personal opinion. Although I do love myself a bit of comedy most of it (besides the Bewear gag) to me felt forced here unlike the other episodes and Sophocles didn't get a lot of development. I really hope the writers do better next time Sophocles gets an episode to himself because at the moment I feel like he's the weakest of the new companions.

On the plus side though, Bewear is an absolute beast. Honestly he or she or whatever gender it is, is probably one of the highlights of Sun & Moon so far. It pops up in random places, grabs Team Rocket and runs like hell. You just never know where it'll be and what situation it'll get up to and that's why I like Bewear so much.

Anyways, Litten next week. Fingers crossed Ash catches it. (Though judging the route the episode's taking it looks like he's no doubt catching it)

Do you have a screenshot of that? I think I missed it.
023.jpg

Most of the companions isn't appeared at all in a regular episode. That's the first time something like this happened.

Oy, I am so far behind in watching these episodes.

I wasn't terribly enamored of this episode and I had to think about what it was that was bothering me about it. It's because his other classmates weren't present in the episode this time. I'm so used to Ash being surrounded by his traveling companions that it just felt kind of 'empty' to me. 5 episodes in and I feel that I'm adjusting pretty well to the new art style and the new story format, but I'm apparently not adjusting well to the lack of traveling companions that were constantly in place around Ash. Not sure how long it will take me to get used to this particular aspect.

Still, it was nice to see how Ash is when he's just at home hanging out with his Pokies. That Rowlet is such an adorable ditz, ha. I have noticed that Ash & Pikachu are really in sync with each other as far as their body/language and gestures are concerned. In-sync pratfalls when they slipped in the laundry room; In-sync body language when they realized they were starving and needed to eat something.

If RotomDex watched a cooking show with Kukui, did it not take notice of the ingredient measurements? Ash dumping an entire bag of salt into the mix instead of just, say, a teaspoon? Sorry, Roto, but that's on you. EpicFail for not making Ash aware that he had to actually get out the measuring cups and spoons and measure stuff. I, too, didn't think that Ash was puking because I didn't see him actually swallow what he had shoveled in his mouth. It just looked like a prolonged spitting-everything-out-of-his-mouth scene. But, yes, poor Pikachu, omg....

Sophocles is so far shaping up to be my least favorite of Ash's classmates and this episode did nothing to flip my opinion. No, I don't feel that he's a mean kid, or a braggart or anything. Eh, I just don't really find him that interesting. Perhaps that will change as the series goes on. Pikachu landing on his head when he jumped down to help Togedamaru was funny. The whole trapped-in-the-mall stuff was okay I guess. Was not much of a fan of Ash running into every gate that was down.

I won't say that I felt this episode was horrible or anything, this particular story just didn't really do much for me, interest-wise.

Really enjoyed this. i love that the first 5 minutes are just showing how Ash cannot function in a domestic setting after being on the road. This season has been so.....normal. It is great. No massive adventure or any league just Ash enjoying life and being relaxed. Such a good change of pace. Also nice that Mamane got some more character stuff. I assume everyone will get an episode dedicated to them soon.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom