• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM014: The Crystal of Courage, Lilie and Rokon!

• Where is the Crystal?
The fact that she touched and/or has a relationship with Shiron is the "crystal." From what I can see, "kesshou" can mean a literal crystal, or it can mean a figurative crystalization, "to give a definite form or expression to," i.e. a product/result/effect, which is why you may also see the title translated "The Fruit of Courage."

I haven't minded Lillie so far, but I didn't love her like a few of the other companions. This episode changed that. This was some really great focus and development for her! I love that Lillie can now touch Shiron, but is still uncomfortable with other Pokémon. I was really afraid they were either going to drag her fear out or resolve it too quickly, but I like the pace it's going at right now.

Similarly, I love how determined Lillie is to get over her fear, even though it's very difficult for her. The way that was portrayed specifically in this episode is what really made me relate to Lillie and her struggle. Not to mention...she actually battled! It was so awesome to see her defending herself and putting in the effort. This makes me excited to see what else she'll accomplish in the future.

I will never get over Mimikyu just wandering around all over the place and being generally creepy. It's so funny. I'm still appreciating Team Rocket so far...their appearances really haven't bugged me.

OH! The friendship between Lillie and Mallow! I LOVE IT! I loved it before now too, but I really love how it's become a recurring thing. It's really sweet.

This episode was adorable. Shiron and Lillie are the cutest pair. Also, before I even begin this review, can I just say how ULTRA SUPER ECSTATIC I am that FINALLY, we have a Pokemon on the main cast with a nickname. Seriously, 20 years with random cotd Pokemon here and there with nicknames, even some belonging to main characters, and only now do we actually have a main character on the main cast with a nicknamed Pokemon. This is great, but it really should have come sooner. Please oh please let Lillie get more Pokemon and nickname them, too.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they hatched the two Vulpix within the same day. I found that to be kind of boring (could have had another episode focusing on them later), but whatever. I can say that I loved the personality differences between the two Vulpix, however. Vulpix was super friendly right off the bat, while Shiron preferred to be by herself. I did love how Vulpix climbed on the desk and physically forced Shiron to interact with the other Pokemon.

I loved how Lillie was so crummy at throwing the Pokeball to catch and release Shiron. It was a nice touch to show how seriously inexperienced she is. But c'mon, that was the perfect opportunity to give her a non-standard Pokeball to catch Shiron in. Hell, Sampson gives the player like 3 apricorn balls in Sun/Moon. Couldn't he have given her one of them? Whatever... I also liked that Lillie still couldn't bring herself to touch Shiron right away. Personally, I would have considered it odd for her to be so comfortable with her, even if she did take care of the egg. It was also nice that they focused on just showing the two bond throughout the episode.

Why on earth would Ash send out that incompetent owl to look for Lillie? He had a better chance of having Pikachu just run around the city. Anyway, I like that Lillie was brave enough to battle TR and that Shiron sometimes acted on her own to protect her trainer. But honestly, I really don't like how they made Lillie comfortable touching Shiron in this episode. I like the slow development they've been doing with her and having her catch Shiron and become fine with touching her within one episode just seemed too fast for me. I would have preferred for this to last for a few more episodes. At least she's not completely fine with all Pokemon yet.

I'll give this episode an 8/10. It was great, and I can't wait to see more of Shiron :)

Awww! Vulpix is so darn cute! I like how their initial personalities matched their typing. I'm glad Lillie could touch Shiron, but I'm also glad they didn't resolve her fear in one go. That would've felt rushed to me. Her and Shiron are so adorable together! I could be wrong, but it looks like it picked up some of Lillie's personality while it was an egg

Ash apparently forgot that Lillie had just thrown herself over a two story wall and would have met concrete had Rowlett not caught her. Speaking of Rowlett- fruit? Really? You were supposed to find Lillie, not food (and why weren't you in the pancake episode!!!). I wonder how its personality will change as it evolves.

I thought it would be James who would catch Bewear but it looks like it will be Jessie instead.

Now the big question is what would Shiron's name be in the English dub, we'll just have to wait and see what they think of, we'll leave that for another time

This episode was great. And I actually quite like that Lillie nicknamed the Vulpix.

And is it just me or does the episode seem to hint that Bewear might go to Jessie instead of James? I mean, Mimikyu doesn't listen to her /at all/, though she did catch it in a Luxury Ball... She'll have to get through to it somehow. Speaking of Mimikyu, did anyone see how it ate?

Seriously, 20 years with random cotd Pokemon here and there with nicknames, even some belonging to main characters, and only now do we actually have a main character on the main cast with a nicknamed Pokemon. This is great, but it really should have come sooner. Please oh please let Lillie get more Pokemon and nickname them, too.

What about Squishy? I mean, I know he wasn't captured, but he was part of the main cast still.

Now the big question is what would Shiron's name be in the English dub, we'll just have to wait and see what they think of, we'll leave that for another time

Snowball works well imo.

Sorry but an episode being 'cute' just isn't good enough for me. This was another incredibly slow paced episode that I found boring. I can't get myself to give a damn whether Lillie can touch a Pokemon or not. The plot is just not interesting.

Really liked this episode. Glad that Lillie's progression is a gradual thing. Also nice to see mallow getting more character stuff and her and Ash playing off each other again. I know people are shipping her and Lillie (which I think is pretty obviously just Mallow being maternal likely setting up some parallel with Lillie's actual mother but hey shippers gotta ship and what not) but Ash and Mallow (whatever the ship is gonna be called) is still going strong for me. Funnily she kinda is the Brock of this generation, always hanging around Ash more than the others but often not getting as many focus eps. Also Mallow finally got a character trait that being being nosy. I liked that she actually admitted that.

As for the other egg being another Vulpix.....(n) Not a fan. This is the reason Ash even ended up being at the school in the first place after all yet it led to such a weak and glossed over result.

Loved Jessie giving the donuts to Bewear. Nice character moment.

I was thinking Ash's Phanpy, May's Eevee, Brock's Happiny, and Dawn's Cyndaquil vs Scraggy and Noibat.
I get Happiny, but rest doesn't seem OP or powerful to me.
Adamant translated it as "Snowball".
The fact that she touched and/or has a relationship with Shiron is the "crystal." From what I can see, "kesshou" can mean a literal crystal, or it can mean a figurative crystalization, "to give a definite form or expression to," i.e. a product/result/effect, which is why you may also see the title translated "The Fruit of Courage."
LOL I just see that Adamant already translated it as "Fruit". Who is translating the episode titles for Bulbagarden?

Every time I see Bewear, I can't stop thinking about this quote

Ah, a Dexter reference, thank you. Then I guess Mimikyu would say "Disguise, mother****er" every time it sees Pikachu then. Also, I'm glad that Mallow is still protective of Lillie and that she took Ash with her. I hope they keep doing this every now and then, but eventually stop as they learn to trust that Lillie can take care of herself. I mean, she did get Shiron to freeze Team Rocket, even though it wasn't that much of a task and did stop one of Mareanie's Sludge Bomb attacks.

Think the world is fudged up enough (yet) that they can call it Whitey?

This episode sets up some interesting ideas. Since Mimikyu only wants to battle when Pikachu is there, she'll eventually need a different Pokemon. And now she's starting to bond with Bewear. I like it.

Ah, a Dexter reference, thank you. Then I guess Mimikyu would say "Disguise, mother****er" every time it sees Pikachu then
Probably, didn't though about that quote until episode 12 when Bewear appeared before the TRio could finish Ash off

Since Mimikyu only wants to battle when Pikachu is there, she'll eventually need a different Pokemon.
I just feel certain that that'll have to change at some point though... Say in a year's time when they start doing boy-and-his-dog episodes with Musashi & Kojiro, surely there will be an episode which involves delving into why Mimikyu is such a little git and some resulting bonding/character development? Because, so far, Musashi and Mimikyu have not actually battled together even once! And surely that cannot continue indefinitely?!

(I guess I just also really wanted Musashi & Kojiro to have equal team sizes again and if K caught Kiteruguma then it would work :p)

I just feel certain that that'll have to change at some point though... Say in a year's time when they start doing boy-and-his-dog episodes with Musashi & Kojiro, surely there will be an episode which involves delving into why Mimikyu is such a little git and some resulting bonding/character development? Because, so far, Musashi and Mimikyu have not actually battled together even once! And surely that cannot continue indefinitely?!

(I guess I just also really wanted Musashi & Kojiro to have equal team sizes again and if K caught Kiteruguma then it would work :p)
Musashi should catch Kiteruguma, because if Mimikkyu has no intentions to fight anything but Pikachu battling could be a problem. But, she could always use Sonansu. :) The only problem I see with this is that she would have 3 Pokémon while Kojiro would only have one.

What I'm saying is that I think Mimikyu should (and will!) change a bit as the series progresses.

What I'm saying is that I think Mimikyu should (and will!) change a bit as the series progresses.
Hopefully, but as it is now, I'm glad that it only wants to battle Pikachu, because it's a funny gag and I think it ads a unique aspect to Team Rocket.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom