• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM018: Really!? Mao's Great Cooking Operation!

Because if Amakaji and Mokuroh are romantic foils (on the basis that predator and prey is not the intended interpretation), then Mokuroh will have to evolve to keep up with his sweetheart.

(Same rule applies to Nyabby and Ashimari.)

(I hope I am not forced to eat my words in 2.5 years time.)

I saw the evolution scene on twitter and I have to say the magical girl reference was gorgeous XD I haven't seen much of SunMoon, but I think I might be watching this series as well.

This episode was okay, but nothing all to exciting imo. Mallow is probably the classmate that I'm least interested in, so that's probably the main reason why I wasn't all to into this episode. I do love Bounsweet though, so seeing a lot of focus on her was great. I also adore Oricorio, and I loved seeing more of them. Especially the transformation from the Baile style to the Pom-Pom style. The only other main thing I liked was Sophocles, who was hilarious as usual.

Everything else was really dull and I didn't have much interest in anything until nearly the end of the episode. Also, that scene of Oriciorio flying away, getting distracted by Sweet Scent, regaining its composure once Bounsweet stopped, and flying away again...really did not need to last as long as it did. Seriously, that was probably my least favorite part of the episode. Probably an unpopular opinion, but I was really upset that Bounsweet evolved in this episode. She's literally had no focus up until this point, and the first time she finally gets some decent screen time...she evolves. I would have liked to see some more focus on her as Bounsweet before evolving into Steenee personally. I did think the new evolution sequence was interesting though, so that was nice to see, but at the same time, I don't think Bounsweet should have been the first Pokemon to show off the new evolution animation.

I'll give this a 5/10. Not terrible, but nothing I'd re-watch.

Ha, so it looks like I was wrong about Mallow's Bounsweet probably not evolving!

The main question that I'm sure will be lingering on everyone's mind now is...judging by Steenee & Tsareena's Pokedex entries and online descriptions and how early on in the series it has evolved, will Mallow's Steenee (and later Tsareena presumably) ultimately end up becoming just like Ash's Charizard/Dawn's Mamoswine?

I think there's probably going to be a pretty heated rivalry between her and Ash's Rowlet in any case, especially once it evolves into Dartrix and actually gains much more of an ego.

I again repeat: anyone know some english subs for the episode. It feels like this episode is taking too long to put them up.

Apparently, the evolution was done by Takashi Shinohara, the animation director for this episode. Shinohara has been in this position since the beginning of BW.

I just REALLY hope they don't end up going the "Overshadowed by Awesome" route with Ash's Rowlet (in comparison to Mallow's Steenee) like they did with Ash's last two Grass-type starters (Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra & Snivy)

That's assuming that Mallow will be a main character. Once Ash starts inevitably travelling to the other islands, Steenee will be nowhere in sight and his party Pokemon will undoubtedly have the most focus (as they currently do).

Oh my... I can just imagine the craziness that could happen if Ash's Rowlet evolves into Dartrix. Mostly due to how the dex entry points so much to how that pokemon has the persona of an upscale spoiled adolescent. >.>

Once Ash starts inevitably travelling to the other islands, Steenee will be nowhere in sight and his party Pokemon will undoubtedly have the most focus (as they currently do).
That's assuming that Satoshi will travel to other islands...

This is the debut of Ayumi Sekine as an episode writer for the Pokemon anime. Does anything stand out about her writing style? Is it similar to her previous works?

This was a nice episode. I love getting background on characters so I was happy to finally see Mallow's! I liked seeing her father and learning she has an older brother. Her father's design was nice; he resembled Mallow without being a total clone. We didn't see much of her brother, but it seems like he resembles their father. I hope we get to see Mallow's brother in "person" one day!

I also enjoyed seeing Mallow's passion for cooking and hearing the background of the Alola Stew, namely how it was served at celebrations long ago. I'm seriously loving all of these little Alolan culture lessons we've been getting! It's great to see how important this is to the region and the characters.

Bounsweet evolving was also a nice little surprise! I love the new evolution animation and I'm excited to see Steenee's development.

And as always, I'm still loving those little moments we get to see between the classmates! All of them sitting together and eating at the restaurant was super cute and fun. The reaction to the electricity in the cooking was awesome! The low stakes, hanging out and bonding moments have been among my favorite parts of these episodes.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom