• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM020: Satoshi and Pikachu, the Promise between Them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I'll be forced to eat my hat, but surely, although it won't be the episode we may have dreamed of, this is an anniversary episode in some manner.

Oh come on, this is undoubtedly an anniversary episode. The reason it doesn't seem to be all that special is probably because M20 is already celebrating the anniversary in a big way but they still wanted to do something around the actual anniversary date when it all started.

I'd personally like some flashbacks but I don't think they would fit in very well with SM's art style and from the preview it doesn't seem like a flashback episode. On the other hand, it'd be weird if they didn't include at least a couple of flashbacks (or at the very least, some callbacks to earlier events without flashbacks).

At least I hope Tapu Lele's appearance will be significant to the plot. Perhaps it will drive Ash to finally move forward to Akala Island.

Even if it's technically an anniversary episode, if it's just a generic Ash/Pikachu episode then it's not really special or anything. I'm not saying they have to go all out, especially bc we do have M20, but if there's nothing unique about the episode then it's not really a big deal or anything. Which again is fine bc M20

All in all, I doubt this being an Ash/Pikachu episode is just a coincidence.
And be it what it may, I think this is still more of a special episode than the ones they aired after the 10th anniversary, which was one of Dawn's contests.

I'm just saying previews show Tapu Lele shining and floating in the sky, so odds are that the summaries were referring to it all along.

Before the preview, I just thought it could be Ho-Oh because the episode focuses in Ash and Pikachu's relationship. They haven't seen it in a while despite it will be featured in the movie, which means it would've served as some sort of connection (especially for younger fans). Now it just seems unlikely.
But your post implied that it was never going to be Ho-oh. We know it isn't Ho-oh now, but before the preview was released, there was a chance that it could have been.

Don't know why people think the animation looks bad. Ash and Pikachu look like the same flushed down the toilet vomit they've looked like since SM001.

Don't know why people think the animation looks bad. Ash and Pikachu look like the same flushed down the toilet vomit they've looked like since SM001.
Animation is not artwork, but regardless I think both are fine and I honestly don't see anything wrong with the animation in this episode, at all.

Last edited:
But your post implied that it was never going to be Ho-oh. We know it isn't Ho-oh now, but before the preview was released, there was a chance that it could have been.
But it was never going to be Ho-Oh. Wether we knew that or not at the time doesn't change the fact that it wasn't going to be Ho-Oh.

Here is a new summary of the episode which Dephender translated. There are so new images of the episode.

DYB9RhR.jpg

SM20

It's finally the 20th anniversary! A celebratory special

Ash has gone shopping with his entire class when he hears when he hears talk about a small island located nearby that's known under the name "Treasure Island". He and Pikachu immediately headed there to explore. As the two of them spend some alone time together, Ash further strengthens his feelings towards Pikachu. Before long, it gets dark, and then a mysterious, shining Pokémon appeared in the sky!

But it was never going to be Ho-Oh. Wether we knew that or not at the time doesn't change the fact that it wasn't going to be Ho-Oh.
Prove it then.

Last edited:
Yeah if this is just 22 minutes of Ash and Pikachu dicking around on some island it's not much of an anniversary episode.

Like we don't already know Ash and Pikachu are the best of friends ever and whatnot...

What's more to show? Give Pikachu some strange Ability?

Prove it then.
Well you got me there.
I just find that much more likely than the writers having Ho-Oh appear in the episode, then changing their minds about it just before the preview aired. Tapu Lele appearing was probably decided all along (or at least much before), and we were just mislead by the summaries.

Well you got me there.
I just find that much more likely than the writers having Ho-Oh appear in the episode, then changing their minds about it just before the preview aired. Tapu Lele appearing was probably decided all along (or at least much before), and we were just mislead by the summaries.
I'm pretty sure that no one thinks it was a last-minute decision. Playerking is just saying that Ho-Oh was a possibility until it was deconfirmed.

I never expected it due to the floating description.

Playerking is just saying that Ho-Oh was a possibility until it was deconfirmed.
That's what I'm talking about though. I simply said "it wasn't going to be Ho-Oh", as in... well, "it wasn't going to be Ho-Oh, the summaries only had us believe so". I don't get how could this cause so much confusion.

Well you got me there.
Okay, now you're just being absolutely stupid. I never said they "changed their mind". I said that before there was any evidence that Tapu Lele would be the said light in the sky, that there was nothing to stop speculation that it could have been Ho-oh. So to say that there was no point in speculating, because it was always obvious that it was never going to be Ho-oh before the preview aired is false and that's all there is to it.

Okay, now you're just being absolutely stupid. I never said they "changed their mind". I said that before there was any evidence that Tapu Lele would be the said light in the sky, that there was nothing to stop speculation that it could have been Ho-oh. So to say that there was no point in speculating, because it was always obvious that it was never going to be Ho-oh before the preview aired is false and that's all there is to it.

Ho-Oh doesn't float.

The VA list for SM020 and SM021.

Ash: Rica Matsumoto

Lillie: Kei Shindō

Kiawe: Kaito Ishikawa

Mallow: Reina Ueda

Lana: Hitomi Kikuchi

Sophocles: Fumiko Takekuma

Professor Kukui: Keiichi Nakagawa

Pikachu: Ikue Ohtani

Rotom Pokédex: Daisuke Namikawa

Steenee: Chika Fujimura

Popplio: Rikako Aikawa

Jessie: Megumi Hayashibara

James: Shin’ichiro Miki

Meowth: Inuko Inuyama

Wobbuffet: Yūji Ueda

Nurse Joy: Risa Shimizu

Litten: Chinami Nishimura

Bewear: Mika Kanai

Here is a new summary of the episode, which Dephender translated.

To celebrate 20 years on air for the anime, we're bringing you two special episodes! Ash and Pikachu's adventure on their own and the reunion with Litten are both must-sees! And the show will be giving out extravagant prizes as well.

Having heard of an island called "Treasure Island" from their classmates, Ash and Pikachu immediately set off to explore. This is their first adventure together alone in a while, which leads to Ash strengthening his feelings towards Pikachu. And as it was getting dark, a mysterious, shining Pokémon appeared in the sky?!

Ho-Oh doesn't float.
PREVIEW: - SM020: Satoshi and Pikachu, the Promise between Them
PREVIEW: - SM020: Satoshi and Pikachu, the Promise between Them

A very interesting 20th anniversary special. But it's unclear who's gonna appear in both episodes because it's kind of confusing. It's very surprising that Ash and Pikachu will have their first adventure since arriving on Alola besides sticking around with the other classmates at the school than going on an adventure. Nurse Joy will probably appear in Litten's episode, so does the old Stoutland. I'm looking forward to seeing this 20th anniversary special episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom