• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM027: Come Forth! The Red, Red Gaze of Lugarugan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this battle will calm the internet rage?

It won't because fans are never satisfied. Even if Gladion is as serious in the anime as he is in the games, they will find something to complain about. They will say Gladion is weak if he loses, they will say Ash is dumb if he loses, and they will say that it was super meh and anti-climatic if the battle ends in a tie. Regardless of the outcome, there will be enraged fans.

And I have to agree with Sakuraa about Gladion owning an Umbreon. Urgh. The only positive thing about it is that Umbreon evolves with high friendship, and that's Gladion's thing in the games as pointed out by ShadowZone1996. I would have preferred an Espeon, but maybe pink wouldn't suit Gladion?

Not going to complain about the absence of Type: Null here because it would be super awesome if the writers later showed us Gladion stealing/rescuing it from the Aether Foundation. But Midnight Lycanroc and Umbreon? Meh.

It won't because fans are never satisfied. Even if Gladion is as serious in the anime as he is in the games, they will find something to complain about. They will say Gladion is weak if he loses, they will say Ash is dumb if he loses, and they will say that it was super meh and anti-climatic if the battle ends in a tie. Regardless of the outcome, there will be enraged fans.

And I have to agree with Sakuraa about Gladion owning an Umbreon. Urgh. The only positive thing about it is that Umbreon evolves with high friendship, and that's Gladion's thing in the games as pointed out by ShadowZone1996. I would have preferred an Espeon, but maybe pink wouldn't suit Gladion?

Not going to complain about the absence of Type: Null here because it would be super awesome if the writers later showed us Gladion stealing/rescuing it from the Aether Foundation. But Midnight Lycanroc and Umbreon? Meh.

Maybe they gave him Umbreon because he's part of a villainous team.
Eeveelutions deserve more screentime. :p

Getting a Special episode or something showing him stealing it from the AF as well as leaving home would be really cool. I don't think Espeon would've been all that unfitting to be honest. I'd say it's more purple than pink anyways.

Finally, the plot continues, and with the awesome added element of Gladion being a master of Z-moves.

I wanted to see Type:Null, as its relationship with Gladion in the games happens 99% off screen and I really want to see Gladion riding it, but I understand that Lillie would know its origin and the writers wouldn't want to go there yet.

What I don't understand is why they showed Midnight Lycanroc in SM015 if a few months later he would have two very important roles.

I think that Umbreonm fits Gladion more then Espeon does because Umbreon has a similar color scheme to Gladion's. Gladion's cloths are mostly black and Umbron's fur is mostly black, Gladion's shirt has some red shape on it, he wears a red bag on his waist, and he wears red shoes while Umbreon has red eyes, finally Gladion has yellow hair while Umbreon has yellow rings.

In one of the pictures in the magazine scans, Gladion looks surprised that Lillie is holding a Pokemon, maybe we get to learn a little bit on what happened in the past.

Hey, we already saw her foot in SM11. Besides, she's bound to show up later. We're not even 30 episodes in and have over 100 to go.

Please god no lol. I'm enjoying the general more light heart nature of the storyline, but my little interest I have left will be gone if the anime continues on its current path.

Although Gladion doesn't seem to be the friendliest person in those images, his Lycanroc like Ash's Rockruff. Maybe Gladion won't be as bad, and he's just acting this way for a reason. Either way, I like that Rockruff and Lycanroc will get along, because I enjoy it when certain Pokemon are really friendly towards one another, like how Togedemaru acts towards Pikachu.
I just know that if Ash’s Rockruff evolves, it will be Midday form. I think that maybe Ash’s Rockruff evolving into Midnight form to be able to beat Gladion would be realistic, but I know there’s no chance that will happen. Oh well. One can dream...

I just know that if Ash’s Rockruff evolves, it will be Midday form. I think that maybe Ash’s Rockruff evolving into Midnight form to be able to beat Gladion would be realistic, but I know there’s no chance that will happen. Oh well. One can dream...
Maybe it won't happen "right now" ;)

Maybe it won't happen "right now" ;)
Again, many of Ash’s Pokemon are like him. What seems more like Ash: Pokemon that only enjoys battles or a Pokemon that chooses to live alone to prevent needless fighting? It would not make sense with the way many of his Pokemon are like him and Rockruff’s personality. Rockruff gets along well with any Pokemon and does not seem to be thrilled when called out to battle like Lycanroc Midnight would be.

Well I have an unpopular opinion here.

I am really tired with these "badass" anti-heroes. This is just about the most generic character you can come up with. They're all over cartoons/anime.

He's badass....just because. Usually, they just remain the same old character throughout the entire series. They're just the grumpy guy/girl who's only around to do cool stuff. And because they classify as anti-hero whenever they do something good or bad we count that as character development.

Why can't we have a character start off as a little wimp, then throughout the series as he learns life lessonshe learns that he's got to be strong on his own, or maybe multiple traumas that happen throughout his life that turn him into a cold, heartless, callous person.

Or we could reverse it. we could have a strong badass character slowly turn soft over time throughout the anime.

I don't know, as I stated before i'm really tired of characters being "mr.badass" for no reason at all.

While it is really cool to watch them do cool stuff, from a character standpoint it's boring, repetitive, uninteresting, and just plain overdone.

Let me know what you think... I guess.

I am really tired with these "badass" anti-heroes. This is just about the most generic character you can come up with. They're all over cartoons/anime.

He's badass....just because. Usually, they just remain the same old character throughout the entire series. They're just the grumpy guy/girl who's only around to do cool stuff. And because they classify as anti-hero whenever they do something good or bad we count that as character development.

I mean, aside from the fact I wouldn't even label Gladion as a "badass," it's not like he doesn't have a reason to be a little angsty (only taking the game into consideration, of course, since he hasn't actually appeared in the anime yet.) I mean he and his sister were pretty much raised by a neglectful, mentally abusive mother, so him being distrustful is pretty understandable. But he's not an outright jerk for no apparent reason. By the end of the game, he softens up a bit, largely because he can now trust you (the PC.)

I understand what you're saying, and I don't really like characters like that either (see: Alain.) But I wouldn't put Gladion in that category, especially when we haven't even seen what he's like in the show yet.

We know literally nothing about anime Gladio's personality. For all we know he's a joke.
Have you not see the images of him in the episode? How is that comedic at all? Not every character in Sun and Moon is going to be a joke. I don't think Hala was, Delia isn't, I don't think Mallow has been a joke, or at the very least, has hardly ever been a joke characters. It's a more light-hearted series, but it doesn't mean that even when a character look menacing, that they are going to be making fart jokes and falling over constantly.

Have you not see the images of him in the episode? How is that comedic at all? Not every character in Sun and Moon is going to be a joke. I don't think Hala was, Delia isn't, I don't think Mallow has been a joke, or at the very least, has hardly ever been a joke characters. It's a more light-hearted series, but it doesn't mean that even when a character look menacing, that they are going to be making fart jokes and falling over constantly.

That's the first impression, but it doesn't automatically guarantee that he won't be made more "funny" and used as a comedy punching bag along the line.

I REALLY hope they won't go this low, though. I'm sick of dealing with comedic gag character after comedic gag character. Just give me one serious character done right to balance out this excess of saccharine humor. It would only be fair toward people who want the plot to be taken a bit more seriously and to have a bit more of variety in the cast.

It's a more light-hearted series, but it doesn't mean that even when a character look menacing, that they are going to be making fart jokes and falling over constantly.
Your point? I didn't say that he's gonna be comedic or not, I said that we know nothing about him and it's early to criticize him. Apparently it's too much to wait and see before making assumptions based on still images from a magazine...

That's the first impression, but it doesn't automatically guarantee that he won't be made more "funny" and used as a comedy punching bag along the line.

I REALLY hope they won't go this low, though. I'm sick of dealing with comedic gag character after comedic gag character. Just give me one serious character done right to balance out this excess of saccharine humor. It would only be fair toward people who want the plot to be taken a bit more seriously and to have a bit more of variety in the cast.

I don't think Game Freak would like TPC butchering a popular character from the games, but I dunno how much influence they have over the anime.

Your point? I didn't say that he's gonna be comedic or not, I said that we know nothing about him and it's early to criticize him. Apparently it's too much to wait and see before making assumptions based on still images from a magazine...
A facial expression says a lot about a character. I don't see how Gladion can go from what he appears as in this episode to a character with a completely different personality, but sure, we'll have to wait and see, but the images and text seem to tell us quite a bit about him to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom