• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sounding Board 2.0 - Post & Discuss Your RP Ideas!

Oh, hey! //Dusts the cobwebs off this thread. I was looking for a place to discuss this stuff and somehow kept missing this thread!

@lisianthus and I have been discussing creating some sort of RP others can enjoy! I am an avid roleplayer, it’s been a huge hobby of mine for years and I’d love to conduct something here— but my problem is I have a lot of ideas. TOO many ideas, and I’d like to know what kinds of things others like to RP? (genres like fantasy, sci-fi, AUs, drama or action… what kinds of plots pull you etc) I could just toss my various ideas into the aether, but I’d really like to see what seems to pull you into an RP before I place down anything concrete.

Hey!

I’ve actually never RP’ed before, but there’s always been a part of me that’s wanted to try. As far as the kind of stories I imagine myself being part of, I think I kind of like any kind of story that puts the characters in challenging situations, both physically and emotionally. Something high-stakes with lots of action, but also with lots of room for just little character moments, too. Opportunities for characters to connect with others and grow. Like big loud action movie, small quiet drama scene in TVTropes parlance, maybe.

(Am I showing my inexperience here? Haha…)

As for setting, I think I’d kind of like urban fantasy the most. Less “stuffy” than your standard dungeons-and-dragons stuff, yet still with plenty of opportunities for the fantastical in a familiar yet different world that said fantastical things can contrast with. Kind of like Pokémon, actually. Speaking of which, sci-fi would also be fun, but I’d probably like it more mixed up with the fantasy stuff. Perhaps reminiscent of a modern Final Fantasy game or something?

Should I decide to jump in, I might bring one of my original characters that I’ve created into the mix. I initially created them in the context of an existing IP, but their personalities are completely from my own mind and can easily be separated from said IP (save for… well, you’ll see if and when I publish the fic featuring these characters, haha!).

Let me know if any more ideas from me are helpful or inspiring to you! I’d love to contribute more.

Hey!

I’ve actually never RP’ed before, but there’s always been a part of me that’s wanted to try.
No time like the present! Besides, RP is basically just writing a collaborative fanfic! I bet you’ll be a pro in no time.

As far as the kind of stories I imagine myself being part of, I think I kind of like any kind of story that puts the characters in challenging situations, both physically and emotionally. Something high-stakes with lots of action, but also with lots of room for just little character moments, too. Opportunities for characters to connect with others and grow. Like big loud action movie, small quiet drama scene in TVTropes parlance, maybe.
Yes!! I totally get this feeling! I usually love writing more on the side of drama with action sprinkled in rather than more action than drama— but either way, the mesh of the two can really make you feel for everyone’s characters and make the story feel so deeply woven…

(Am I showing my inexperience here? Haha…)
Not at all!! This kind of stuff is perfect for RPs!

As for setting, I think I’d kind of like urban fantasy the most. Less “stuffy” than your standard dungeons-and-dragons stuff, yet still with plenty of opportunities for the fantastical in a familiar yet different world that said fantastical things can contrast with. Kind of like Pokémon, actually. Speaking of which, sci-fi would also be fun, but I’d probably like it more mixed up with the fantasy stuff. Perhaps reminiscent of a modern Final Fantasy game or something?
Have you heard of Arknights? It’s the one mobile game I’m super into in all forms, the art, the music (by my favorite band no less) and the plot and character designs are all up my alley. Arknights (trailer linked so you get a feel for the vibe!!) is a sort of sci-fantasy set in a dystopian world where a pharmaceutical
company is fighting (both literally and not) to find a cure for a terminal disease that’s ravaged their world. It’s something I’ve been dying to make an RP out of (among many other ideas LMFAO), or at least a very similar idea— with Pokemon of course. It’s not too modern FF esque but?? It has that ‘high stakes’ and everyone depending on each other— fear of losing each other vibe with cool powers or skills mixed in that people might crave for.
Should I decide to jump in, I might bring one of my original characters that I’ve created into the mix. I initially created them in the context of an existing IP, but their personalities are completely from my own mind and can easily be separated from said IP (save for… well, you’ll see if and when I publish the fic featuring these characters, haha!).
I’ll read about them right now!! I personally only have ever written canon characters, but I always enjoy playing with others’ OCs and have developed strong feelings about characters my friends make! LMAO And no worries.. I separate the ones I play from their IPs for AUs too LOL. I can’t wait to see them in your fics!! I’ll check them out riiight now…

Let me know if any more ideas from me are helpful or inspiring to you! I’d love to contribute more.
They’ve been super helpful already!! If the idea I shared appeals to you or is something you can build off of let me know! Or if you’d like something different entirely! I’d love to RP with you Baku, and I hope I’m getting close to a pulse of something we’d both love to write!

As for me... I mean, I'll kind of mostly do anything?

LOL, I don't particularly have much of a preference I think!

Most of the RPing I've done has been in relatively short-form styles, and I've never done anything like... formal, I suppose, but at least I have experience with the one character I RP as...

Maybe I'm not much of a help in ideas (I'll go along with whatever sounds best~), but of course, I'd love to do something here!!

What I love in RPs

--huge sweeping quests across worlds bursting at the seams with lore (usually fantasy or inspired by ancient Japan/China, but I would be willing to try something like a Star Wars-like sci fi (on the more fantastic end of sci fi)
--lots of powers/spells/abilities to discover
--lots of neat items and treasures to find
--slice of life, usually if performance is involved

Thank you everyone for the input! I have an idea of what kind of plotline I want to make-- I want to run a more story oriented RP and a slice of life one on the side so I can get a taste of both flavors I enjoy, LOL. But for now, I'm going to focus on making some CGs and expository write-outs for my larger idea, so please look forward-- no, rather, keep an eye out for it? LOL...

I know that long-form/multi para RP isn't common here, but unfortunately I'm a wordy heathen and my replies will no doubt become long, I will keep the play as lax as I can, though!

DUSTS OFF THIS THREAD AGAIN, so I know it’s been a hot minute, but just updating that my personal little (big) RP project is almost done! What’s taking the longest is the fact I’m extra and I’m painting a few story CGs. This isn’t really necessary of course, I just have a bad habit of getting pretty passionate about stuff like this because RP has been a constant pastime of mine.

That said! I realized something important! I’m not really versed in the format of forum RP, and I realized that unlike discord where I can have a bunch of members disperse to different channels at a time… Here RP is very contained, and only allows for about 4-5 participants at most before it starts to get messy— It’s not something I’m used to.

So I’ve come up with an interesting proposition that— 3 different threads following 3 different paths in the same intertwining story, that I can have various different members participate in. Now, this idea won’t be necessary if I end up with a small lot anyways, but in the event I don’t, this would be a cool way to guide characters through different perspectives that would ultimately, bring them together in the end. Does this make sense? I hope so! If not, it’s fine. I’m prattling! Either way, been plugging away at CGs, and honestly I’m ready to slap a sign up down right now, but I want to put out my best…

DUSTS OFF THIS THREAD AGAIN, so I know it’s been a hot minute, but just updating that my personal little (big) RP project is almost done! What’s taking the longest is the fact I’m extra and I’m painting a few story CGs. This isn’t really necessary of course, I just have a bad habit of getting pretty passionate about stuff like this because RP has been a constant pastime of mine.

That said! I realized something important! I’m not really versed in the format of forum RP, and I realized that unlike discord where I can have a bunch of members disperse to different channels at a time… Here RP is very contained, and only allows for about 4-5 participants at most before it starts to get messy— It’s not something I’m used to.

So I’ve come up with an interesting proposition that— 3 different threads following 3 different paths in the same intertwining story, that I can have various different members participate in. Now, this idea won’t be necessary if I end up with a small lot anyways, but in the event I don’t, this would be a cool way to guide characters through different perspectives that would ultimately, bring them together in the end. Does this make sense? I hope so! If not, it’s fine. I’m prattling! Either way, been plugging away at CGs, and honestly I’m ready to slap a sign up down right now, but I want to put out my best…
I agree with you about the part I put in bold. Too many players not only causes the RP to become messy, it also slows it down.

I've always wanted to RP a game based of the setting of my crossover, Rain Fall, found in my signature. I've considered opening a thread in the forums, plus I have a Discord server for the lore I've made so far. It's be confined to the setting though, but since most guys around here have Pokemon/Trainer OCs they can just... use their existing ones?

Hopefully.

I think the reason most, if not all, the Roleplays here die so fast is because they are a bit too ambitious. Instead of one specific area and one goal, they are world trotting adventures. They tend to require a lot of time and motivation to continue a world trotting adventure.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post. I think it's interesting to read role plays because of the different styles of writing and storytelling that each player has. Some have posts that include more description, some might have more inner monologues and so on.

No worries, and I agree! I’ve actually been meaning to start a couple one on one threads but I’m conquering my writing shyness again…

That being said it’s super fun and interesting to see different writing styles and how they bounce off each other. The way I write is often verbose and kinda wordy and dramatic… but thankfully my RP partners don’t seem to dislike it LOL.

Woah I wish I saw this place sooner-

I know it's a pretty old question, but I like roleplays that can both be calm or action-packed, but gives you a chance to unwravel a character, with their feelings, actions, dialogue, and the like. It gives an insight on them throughout meaningful moments or conflicts, without feeling like a waste of a rp, if that makes any sense? But then again, I don't mind generic silly fun stuff too lmao

most likely yeah
I can see why:
1) If there are a lot of players, they tend to update slowly. If a roleplay is updated too slowly, people will get bored and stop.
2) They tend to be world-trotting adventures. Those tend to take a long time to complete. If the goal of the adventure was to go and explore a mine in order to find a missing child, then it would not take as long. Also, they require a lot of commitment.
3) It's very hard if not impossible to plan ahead. Sure, the person who started the roleplay might have an idea on what the ending would be, the question is how it would happen. In regular fanfic, you are the one in control of every aspect of the story. In roleplay, the ending depends on how the players approach it.

To add my thoughts: when it comes to having to make your own character sheet, it can feel like a lot of effort you have to put in to something when you don't know for sure if the roleplay is going to last for more than a week and/or not just get stuck at the first hurdle.
That is indeed a factor. I have seen roleplays that would for a week or so (or maybe a month) only to die.
Would it be a good idea to achieve the roleplay section?

2) They tend to be world-trotting adventures. Those tend to take a long time to complete. If the goal of the adventure was to go and explore a mine in order to find a missing child, then it would not take as long. Also, they require a lot of commitment.
So, to solve this one, if I or someone else made one where a player could leave or join at any time, might it help bring this part of the forums back?

I am asking, because I don't want this archived, so I will do anything to save this

Last edited:
So, to solve this one, if I or someone else made one where a player could leave or join at any time, might it help bring this part of the forums back?

I am asking, because I don't want this archived, so I will do anything to save this
I think that would be helpful. Allowing people to come and go throughout the adventure (as opposed to having just the people who initially signed up) would certainly be new, HOWEVER, the newcomers would have to be aware of the events that happened up to that point. Plus, if someone were to want to leave, it would have to be during a point where it makes sense (like resting at an inn). Wouldn't make sense for someone to decided to quit in the middle of a battle.

Back
Top Bottom