• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[SPOILERS] Gen VII: The Future

As far as topics for movies go, we have plenty: Tapus, box legendaries, Necrozma, Marshadow (which I believe will be paired with Mew), Ultra Beasts. Those can easily keep being used for the next 2-3 years before a new main game pair.

As far as topics for movies go, we have plenty: Tapus, box legendaries, Necrozma, Marshadow (which I believe will be paired with Mew), Ultra Beasts. Those can easily keep being used for the next 2-3 years before a new main game pair.
But only two of those can be the main Stars for the next movies. Mew and Marshadow due to being Mythical.

I think we have the standard three movies that is the minimum. One of those movies would promote the next gen 7 game (s) on 3DS and showcase new form of Necrozma and possibly Marshadow. The other movie could have Ultra Beasts in it.

The only way I'd get excited about a third Kanto game is if we got post GII Pokemon introduced to Kanto with new Kanto Region Variants.

With only two mythicals think we're getting G8 in late 2018, unless we get a remake or new game that gives new forms to old Pokemon ala Mega Rayquazza.

There's still Necrozma. It's not Mythical but I like the thought of that crystalline creature being related to Solgaleo/Lunala in some form and would like it to have a role in their movie. Some of the Ultra Beasts could be used afterwards to fill the next one before moving to Marshadow.

My only argument against this logic is that it's never been done before. Movies always have a cute Mythical that ash befriends in the film.
My mind did flick to Cosmog for a moment, but Cosmog is a game-central Pokemon, and is technically already distributed.

Arguably (for usage sake) the Ultra Beasts are another set of legendary Pokemon. While they have a considerably bigger lore and weight behind them than other trios, are they really able to carry a movie the same way a "new" Pokemon like Marshadow can?

The first S/M movie is likely to be Solgaleo & Lunala with Marshadow, given the past generations have followed this style.

Maybe a new Mew form would go alongside the Mewnium Z distribution.

My only argument against this logic is that it's never been done before. Movies always have a cute Mythical that ash befriends in the film.
My mind did flick to Cosmog for a moment, but Cosmog is a game-central Pokemon, and is technically already distributed.

Arguably (for usage sake) the Ultra Beasts are another set of legendary Pokemon. While they have a considerably bigger lore and weight behind them than other trios, are they really able to carry a movie the same way a "new" Pokemon like Marshadow can?

The first S/M movie is likely to be Solgaleo & Lunala with Marshadow, given the past generations have followed this style.

Maybe a new Mew form would go alongside the Mewnium Z distribution.

I could see this happening, and I wouldn't be against it either. I can see the movie poster now

Uh, when did this turn into a discussion about future movies and not the future of Gen VII? Now, back on topic. Would you want Gen VII to stay on the 3DS or jump right to the Switch?

Uh, when did this turn into a discussion about future movies and not the future of Gen VII? Now, back on topic. Would you want Gen VII to stay on the 3DS or jump right to the Switch?

Future movies have been part of the topic since literally the original post of this thread, and that's because they are intrinsically linked to how the rest of the generation plays out.

Stay on 3DS. SM will have no way of communicating with the other gen 7 games if it is on Switch. It makes no sense and isolates the 3DS users from completing their gen 7 collection.

Anyway, I could see them do something special with Mew for 2018. Or they'll just tie the Mewnium Z into the movie and keep Mew as it is.

Generation 8 2018 lol

Nah tapus get the next movoe in 2017 with solgaleo and lunala
2018 ultra beasts and marshadow
2019 necorozoma and gen 8 pokemon
2020 generation 8 releases

Game wise dunno sequels would be nice

The two are intertwined, so I feel it's fair that they both get discussed. More on that in the OP.

But, answering the Switch question:
I don't mind it being on the Switch. I can understand why they'd want to move mid-gen, and how it can be beneficial to them.

A console jump mid-gen is an unusual thing, I agree, but I'm open to the prospect. Buying a Switch will be expensive (hopefully less so than the Wii U), but when you think about it, GF would inevitably move to the Switch sooner or later anyway. And sooner means more games for my console purchase, so I'm happy with that outcome.

2020 generation 8 releases

They'll never doing Gen 8 in 2020 for sure. That's way to late for a decent Switch release. 2019 at the latest.

Since Gen III the movies are all about mythicals or next generation promotion pokemon as the main stars for the simple reason to do events for the mythicals or to promote the next generation. We can obtain all legendary except Marshadow legally. The other legends like the cover pokemon as the secondary role like Victini+Reshiram/Zekrom or Diancie+Xerneas/Yveltal.

The only mythical right now without a movie/event is Marshadow. There isn't even another AZ Floette special pokemon in the code to use for an event.AZ Floette is still in the code but I doubt them using it for a movie except if the next games ties with AZ and Kalos.

One mythical for three years. That's not going to work, especially since these events about unreleased pokemon were a reason to visit those movies in Japan.

Last edited:
Nothing is too late for the Switch. It can have spin-off pokemon games until 2020.But no one knows what exact date the Switch would get main series games. We can only speculate on the matter.

The only mythical right now without a movie/event is Marshadow. There isn't even another AZ Floette special pokemon in the code to use for an event.AZ Floette is still in the code but I doubt them using it for a movie except if the next games ties with AZ and Kalos.
We do have Ash-Pikachu. Or maybe the Mewnium Z like some people speculated with Mew in a future movie.

Nothing is too late for the Switch. It can have spin-off pokemon games until 2020.

So, you want Nintendo's next handheld console to wait THREE YEARS for a main series entry? lmao bye

By 2020 GF would have been supporting the 3DS for seven years. They've never supported a console that long before, they don't need to start now. Nintendo waited for them for two years with the 3DS, why on earth would they wait three years now when they are in a much more risky position regarding the Switch.

Game Freak's efforts with the franchise (ie main series titles) ALWAYS outsell spin offs by a colossal margin. You only have to look at ORAS sales figures compared to SMD's. Nintendo are not going to want to pass that kind of console presence and selling power.

Movie 20 = Marshadow
Movie 21 = Mew with Mewnium Z
Movie 22 = Generation VIII Pokemon (Just like Lati@s, Lucario, Zoroark, and Magearna)
Movie 23 = First Generation VIII Movie

Personally I'd rather it'd stay on the 3DS, but Its not the end of the world if the games go to the switch.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Last edited:
Personally I'd rather it'd stay on the 3DS, but Its not the end of the world if the games go to the switch.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.
Yeah.... let's maybe not drag that whole argument into yet ANOTHER thread.

Some things I'm hoping for for the future of this gen are move tutors and mega stones (the unavailable ones). Other than that, I'm not too picky.

Back
Top Bottom