• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sun & Moon Postgame Guide: Summary of Ohmori/Masuda Interview

It´s not that I didn´t believe you, I just want to have the source personally, that is why I asked, to be able to check it out in the future.

Ok, thanks. So the number was bigger in 2012? I suppose that´s for XY´s development... And what was the number in 2013?

Yeah. It looks like it.

Or maybe they were not fired, just released after finishing the part of XY for which they had been signed. (for example, maybe they needed some extra help for the transition from 2D to 3D, and once they had enough experience with it, they didn´t need those people anymore).

I suppose they could have it pre-arranged it like that. Hopefully the new staff will stick around, as Game Freak can obviously afford to pay them on a regular basis.

They still haven't answered my main question with SM, is what's going on with third versions? If Stars is real that's even more confusing because then it means they're being completely arbitrary and taking the removal of features and gameplay mechanics to a new extreme to the point where you may or may not see entire games. Why is there no Z or XY2? Why leave all of these incomplete areas and unresolved plot elements if they weren't doing anything with them. As good as SM are, Game Freak really needs to get their shit together and provide more consistency in the games.

On top of that, they don't really make it easy to get those evolution-inducing trade items. In Gen 6, it was a pain to get the Up-Grade and the Dubious Disc necessary for Porygon-Z. The only options were the Battle Maison or the PokéMileage Club. I guess the latter wasn't too difficult, but it shouldn't be so daunting to get just within the game itself. They've been consistently ridiculous about the Razor Claw.

I think that's what he meant.

This hurts much more due to the fact that a lot of those forms were really lacking in design. They could' even easily made more forms. Vulpix, Sandshrew and Raichu are the only forms which freshen up thier older counterparts.

It seems like the reason (or at least one reason) for making certain Alola forms was to fill gaps in variety. If you notice, some of the types that got multiple Alola forms didn't have a lot of new Pokemon (Dark and Ice especially). Many of the types that got them are also rarer types in the Kanto Dex (Ice, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, Steel, Fairy). Most of them don't really stray too far from their original concept either (except Vulpix/Sandshrew, since there are very few Pokemon period that could reasonably be Ice type that aren't). It's like they just looked at the Dex, wanted to add more of a certain type, and then took a 1st gen Pokemon they thought would fit that type.

I don't really know when Stars entered development, but Eurogamer said that it had been developed in parallel to SM until some point in 2016 at which all focus was shifted to the latter. I rather doubt that a Switch game was in the making before ORAS were even done.

Eurogamer is the one who insisted Stars was being developed for the Switch.

It's not impossible that they knew about it. It would explain why, suddenly as of 2015, Game Freak is developing games for non-Nintendo systems again.

It is about them though because they chose to skip a third version or sequel to make a 7th gen game. They haven't answered why they made that decision.

Because no one cared enough to ask them.

That's kind of harsh. So, you're no one wanted to know the reasoning that the first region to ever enter 3D only got the initial pair? Considering the fact that BW at least got sequels, I would have thought the interviewers would have at least asked what made Game Freak move on. A lot of people were shocked when that happened, so the interviewers could at least have asked them that much.

Also, why didn't they ask why Zygarde was thrown in there? At least explain some of the plot holes like that and the Sina an Dexio side-quest were dropped at its climax.

Also, why didn't they ask why Zygarde was thrown in there? At least explain some of the plot holes like that and the Sina an Dexio side-quest were dropped at its climax.

Esserise and I talked about this in another thread.

Ultimately... The better question is, why wouldn't Zygarde be there? Zygarde's thing is basically spreading pieces of itself all over and then bringing those back together. They really don't need any more justification than that for why it might be anywhere.

That's kind of harsh. So, you're no one wanted to know the reasoning that the first region to ever enter 3D only got the initial pair? Considering the fact that BW at least got sequels, I would have thought the interviewers would have at least asked what made Game Freak move on. A lot of people were shocked when that happened, so the interviewers could at least have asked them that much.
i mean, even if it was asked you'd likely get nothing more than a canned PR answer anyways (eg., "we like to surprise fans"). regardless, i think it's a safe assumption that there was no same gen revisit in Gen 6 due to a combination of wanting to push SM for the 20th anniversary and not wanting to release too many games or too few games (and then wanting those releases to be the best representations) so we end with XYORAS into SM instead of something like XY alone into SM or XYORASZ-- Z being any sort of same gen revisit-- into SM.

Yeah, I can't believe that no one in the press is wondering about that. You'd think someone would've asked about this by now. It seems more like they're just not allowed to ask for whatever reason, I doubt they simply didn't want to.

• "Expressiveness" and "atmosphere" were key points of the games' concepts. Since the characters had more realistic proportions in these games, Ohmori wanted to make players feel more immersed in the region.
The expressiveness certainly did work for the NPCs - Hau and Gladion especially. Also, Lusamine's creepy face. But I felt Guzma was a bit limiting in expression, and also the main characters. In ORAS both Brendan and May had changes in facial expression when you play as them (such as frowning when Zinnia failed to summon Rayquaza), but then again I guess it is because they're not really "us" but "Brendan and May" and had a default personality...?

As for realistic proportions... well, I can see why they'd prefer the characters to look realistic, but is it really necessary? People never really had a problem with the chibi sprites up to Gen5. And even in ORAS the unrealistic proportions were easy to overlook because players relate to the characters by how they act, not how they look. Bianca pulling down her hat in embarrassment, Ghetsis slamming down his stick to intimidate the player, Wally blushing and fidgeting, Steven folding his arms for a thinking pose, Tabitha stomping his foot in irritation... poses are possible even in the most unrealistic proportions and we can still relate to them because they act like humans. I wish they had focused on giving the player character some actual expressions instead of trying to make everything look realistic because it was weird as heck seeing my avatar smile all the time even when Lusamine was trying to destroy him. If anything, that's the most unrealistic and unrelatable thing.

As for realistic proportions... well, I can see why they'd prefer the characters to look realistic, but is it really necessary?
I'd say it was necessary to set the games apart from their predecessors, graphically speaking.

And even in ORAS the unrealistic proportions were easy to overlook because players relate to the characters by how they act, not how they look.
I didn't find them easy to overlook. The chibi models were ugly.

Masuda chose Ohmori to direct Sun & Moon because with it being the 20th anniversary, it felt like a "turning point" and like the "ideal timing to consider the future of Pokémon," and Ohmori had previously worked hard and delivered satisfactory results as the director of Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. Based on that transition, Ohmori chose to make "transcendence" a theme of the games. He sought to remake the series from the bottom-up, asking himself if fundamental fixtures such as Gyms were really necessary.

"Transcendence"...I'm not so sure about that word. Because by 'rebuilding the game from the ground up', a number of perfectly good ideas ended up gone, and that brings the game down in some ways.

At least we got the Trials out of it.

Ohmori states that the idea for the Ultra Beasts was inspired by invasive species, and that he wanted to try to express those in the Pokémon world. To design them, they thought about the forms that Pokémon from other worlds would take. "Normally, whenever we create a new Pokémon, we have a clear standard for 'Pokémon-ness,' but we really tried to take a big risk with our graphic designers to exceed the limits of what a Pokémon can be when it came to the beasts."
And I am glad that they did <3 They were such a highlight to me.

Do Masuda and Ohmori explain anything more about the development of the game?

When they tell us development for SM started in 2013 after XY, do they mean it was developed alongside ORAS, or do they mean SM was only in "conceptual brainstorming" at that time and started proper physical development only after Ohmori was ready with ORAS ane could start a new project?

Because I dont get how is Ohmori supposed to be the director, if they had already made half of the game befor he even joined the project? It is kinda confusing.

A long time ago back when HGSS came out, I had heard that there were two teams developing games, one develops new main series titles, the other develops remakes and rehashes (Platinum, BW2, etc). That means as soon as the initial paired games drop, team 1 is supposedly working on the next gen's paired games, and team 2 takes what they brought to the table and uses that foundation to build the remaining games of the generation. It makes sense in my mind anyways, although I can't confirm if it's true, it does make sense for one team to specialize in creating new games, and another team that specializes in modifying that game's platform into the rest of the games for that generation.

I didn't find them easy to overlook. The chibi models were ugly.
sept_p18_01_en_uuk.jpg

if you did not think they were cute then you have no soul

I can see what you mean but still, all the expressions and actions were there with the chibi models so it wasn't as if the chibi models were preventing anything. We can understand a lot about Wally because his expression and actions were clear. The blush, the fidgeting pose, plus the dialogue that shows a momentary pause - all point to his timid and shy personality at that moment, and feeling nervous asking for help to a new friend he just met. His actions were realistic and players could relate to him because people know what it's like to ask for help to someone you don't know - all the more so if you're a shy person. The only thing that isn't realistic is his chibified appearance (and probably his gravity-defying hair) but players could overlook them since his actions were clear. The unrealistic proportions weren't much of a problem.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom