• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tell Us About Where You Live!

Do you like where you currently live?

• Yes; I absolutely love it!

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Yes; it’s pretty nice.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I don’t really feel one way or the other.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No; I’d prefer to live elsewhere if I could.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No; I absolutely hate it!

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
I currently live in Oklahoma, and TBH, I struggled between choosing "No, I'd prefer to live somewhere else" and "No; I absolutely hate it!" In reality, I feel more the latter, but I went with the former because it is still the US and I do live in a large suburban town that is very safe from general crime. In terms of the US, though, it is toward the very bottom perhaps only with Texas and Florida being worse.

To put it simply: I hate the politics, I hate the hyper-Christian nature, and I hate the climate.

More in depth:

I'm a leftist, I'm a woman, I'm bisexual (leaning heavily lesbian), I'm non-religious. The Oklahoma government is hostile to every category. Reproductive freedoms are gone, Christianity is being intertwined with government (despite that being blatantly unconstitutional). Recently, the government approved the first Christian charter school in the entire country, meaning my tax payer funds are now going to a discriminatory religious school that I don't believe in. Plus, LGBT rights are being targeted. So far trans people have gotten the worse, and I feel very disgusted with what the government is doing to them, especially the youth. Once the Supreme Court strikes down Obergefell, I know that same-sex marriage will be struck down in Oklahoma immediately, just like abortion was. Which effects me very much because I lean lesbian.

Also, public education is under attack, we have always been toward the very bottom of the list, but the radicals are trying to take us down even further, they even want to "defund" public education. LGBT kids can not be respected in schools anymore. A teacher friend in band told me that they can not even refer to trans kids by the right pronouns in classrooms. Absolutely disgusting. What an evil policy. Evil people control the government through and through. I have had it.

The hyper-Christian nature has already been explained in how it is taking over the government. Oklahoma is home to a university that teaches televangelists how to scam people through the prosperity gospel scam. Many, many big name televangelists have attended that university. These televangelists are not only scam artists, but they're also a HUGE part as to why the right is the way it is today. They have meshed religious beliefs with right wing ideologies so much now that abortion, which was never a religious belief before, is now somehow a religious belief. Plus, they worship Trump. I can't even with Trump. He is a disgusting predator, criminal, and straight-up fascist. I can not stand living in a state that voted for him. I cannot.

The climate? Well, perhaps because of medications I'm on, but I have become extra-sensitive to heat. It's to the point where the 70s are too warm for me, especially with sun. If the sun is out it's going to be too hot for me, perhaps even in the 60s under the wrong conditions (no wind, humid). Oklahoma has been hit hard by global warming. Winters are much milder than they were as a child. 60s and 70s are now a regular occurrence in winter. Now imagine that with what I said before. If even winter can get too warm for me, then I'm in trouble. Because every other season is much, much warmer/hotter. When it gets really hot, then I can hardly even breathe when outside or in a car.

It's not just that, though, it's also the severe weather. I panic every time there is a tornado warning. Oklahoma is not known for basements, so the best I can do is go to the bathroom in the middle of the house to take shelter and it's extremely frightening. Spring is such a scary time to me, I have come to dread and despise Spring while everyone else loves it. It's not fun, let me tell you.

---

So, yeah, I don't have a positive view of this place. I think the only thing it has going for it the safety of where I live. But even that is nullified when the government itself is not safe, the weather is not safe, and the people around are hostile to minorities. One thing I will say good about the place is public education in regards to music. I was privileged to grow up in a high-quality band program. A nationally competing one, even. It has shaped my love for music and wind instruments more than I can even speak of.

It's for all of these reasons that I am currently in the process of researching moving. My target state right now is Connecticut. In August, we'll be taking a trip there and hopefully getting started with the actual moving process.
i know this is an older post but i just want to say... jfc, that's so sickening. oklahoma sounds heinous, i'm so sorry.

Hey, I wanted to ask this question for a while now, so…

For those of you who live either in Canada or the UK, I have perhaps a deceptively simple question to ask you all: what’s it like to live there right now? I ask this as someone who is seriously considering moving to either of those places in the near future. Would you recommend moving there right now for someone who’s currently living in the US? And what are some things that I should know, again as someone who’s currently living in the US? Like cost of living, health care, social issues, and all of that?

I think I live in a pretty nice place. The streets are wide, there are plenty of stores (and the stores I don’t have access to are pretty close by), and it seems fairly safe.

It’s not too crowded but also not too quiet. And I feel like if I wanted it quieter I could just take a step to the right or if I wanted it louder, I’d just take a step to the left.

I used to think where I live is boring. Although it definitely is, that might not be so bad. It’s definitely something I wouldn’t take for granted.

I would feel so much better in a small, quiet, spread out place, without so many people and skyscrapers around. Personally, living somewhere unexciting and "boring" has always sounded like something I would enjoy... because, well, I'm a "boring" kind of person, lol.
I can somehow relate to this. I've been living in the south for pretty much my whole life, and as much as I wish I could live in a more....city like place, it's probably gotta be way too expensive for me to live in a city like NYC for example. I heard that NYC has a ton of rats there, and I'd honestly be concerned about getting some kind of disease from being bit by one. They might as well just change NYC's name to Rat City.

Troy is a small, suburban town in Missouri, which is the exact opposite of NYC. I'm not sure if you'd actually like living in Troy, but you did say you would feel so much better in a small place. I lowkey wish we could swap cities lol.

Hey, I wanted to ask this question for a while now, so…

For those of you who live either in Canada or the UK, I have perhaps a deceptively simple question to ask you all: what’s it like to live there right now? I ask this as someone who is seriously considering moving to either of those places in the near future. Would you recommend moving there right now for someone who’s currently living in the US? And what are some things that I should know, again as someone who’s currently living in the US? Like cost of living, health care, social issues, and all of that?
I’m living in canada and while I’m technically a younger person Im probably not the best person to answer this, but I’m pretty sure costs of things might be lower here (but inflation and the Canadian dollar being worth less than the US dollar also come into play..) but the free healtho are really seems like a plus compared to the us

does your access, or lack thereof, to public transportation affect your impression of where you live?
Absolutely, i was raised in a big city that started as a small one and didn't grew planned, so there's no urban planning at all. That said, the public transportation is absolutely crap, the bus often is being late and delay its arrival in destination. So people that don't own a car has to rely on uncertain schedule everyday. My dad has traveled to many places in my coutry, and he told what's like to be in a place where public transporation is efficient: he can take a bus and arrive in a place that's 10 km away in 30 minutes, while in my city the bus takes at least 30 minutes to arrive in a place that's 5 km away.

Answering the main question, i think my ideal place to live is a medium sized city that's close to a big city, because i don't like the crowd, the fast routine, the traffic that exist in big cities, but i do like the places that a big city offers to visit and spend time. And in a medium sized city i can go everywhere without necessarily needing a car, i can go using a bicycle, which i prefer.

I live in a pretty big city compared to everything else in the area, but compared to most other cities you actually know the name of, it’s tiny

also so much empty space in between cities

and it’s usually so cold and there’s snow early November-early may ish, but this year there still hasn’t snowed and it’s pretty warm (6 ish degrees Celsius) which is strange but I’m not complaining

I live in redneck territory, which is great because my favourite thing to hear at 3 AM is nonstop gunfire. We don't tend to lock our doors, and I'm surprised nothing has come of that yet.

Still don't hate it because at least it's not the suburbs, which I despise with a passion. It's fun to explore random forests even though it comes with the risk of getting shot (people can legally do this), but you take the bad with the good I guess.

Back
Top Bottom