• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

That rumor about the banned episodes being dubbed

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
So it seems like it's a widely accepted belief that the two banned Kanto episodes, "The Legend of Dratini" and "Electric Soldier Porygon," were dubbed into English. The story goes that one of the voice actors said, in an interview, that they recorded the episodes but that they were obviously never released. So, in theory, there's an English version on a tape or on someone's hard drive somewhere that's never been released.

However, it doesn't seem like anyone can provide a source for this supposed confirmation. The most I've been able to find is "an interview," but nobody seems to be able to state where that interview came from. Was it a magazine interview? A blog? A MySpace comment? Who said it? When? Why hasn't anyone been able to provide any links?

Is this just one of those "a friend of a friend told me"-type rumors, or is there actually something to this?

I once read Maddie Blaustein confirmed the "Electric Soldier Porygon" episode was dubbed and the flashes toned down. But that's all I know of it.

I think I recalled once finding a Tips&Tricks issue that dealt with the Porygon episode. I haven't read it completely (actually, I didn't even buy it, and there's no chance at my trying to find it again.), but I do know that it was in the Japanese section (you know, the section relating to stuff in Japan or antique items.). I'm not sure if it mentioned the interview or not.

'The Legend of Dratini'->I know it's been dubbed. Got it somewhere, don't remember.

'Electric Soldier Porygon'->Dubbed too, toned down the flashes, read it on some other forum.

These episodes of course has never been release, but who know, they may release it in the future, if not, then they will forever be stored on a hardrive by one of the producers of the Anime or somethin'.

Delrihuzz said:
I once read Maddie Blaustein confirmed the "Electric Soldier Porygon" episode was dubbed and the flashes toned down. But that's all I know of it.

You wouldn't happen to remember when and where she said that, would you?

Weedle Mchairybug said:
I think I recalled once finding a Tips&Tricks issue that dealt with the Porygon episode.

Do you remember if it talked about an English version of the episode existing? Or around what year the issue in question came out?

GameCodeTrainer said:
'The Legend of Dratini'->I know it's been dubbed.

How?

'Electric Soldier Porygon'->Dubbed too, toned down the flashes, read it on some other forum.

You do realize that "read it on some other forum" is not what I'm looking for here, right?

Leonardo10 said:
They were dubbed, just never shown on tv.

*sigh* That's not even the least bit helpful.

Blackjack Palazzo said:
Yeah, Maddie had mentioned that in her interview thread on Serebii. But you'd have to sort through about two years ago to find it.

The rumors that these episodes had been dubbed predate those threads by many years, though.

I would have to mirror Blackjack's post. I'm 99% sure I read it on Serebii's forum. I went to search on meta search engines, but hardly anything comes up.
I only found one mention of 4Kids having the intention of dubbing the episode but it was still up in the air whether the Japanese government would allow them to.

Do you remember if it talked about an English version of the episode existing? Or around what year the issue in question came out?

First part, no, but I do know that it was around 2006 in the summer time.

Delrihuzz said:
I would have to mirror Blackjack's post. I'm 99% sure I read it on Serebii's forum.

But, like I said, this rumor about the episodes being dubbed was out long before that thread.

I could try and ask Jimmy Zoppi via Facebook whether he knows? He might have guest voiced in either.

Edit: strangely, BP makes mention of these episodes in fact being dubbed

I could try and ask Jimmy Zoppi via Facebook whether he knows? He might have guest voiced in either.

Edit: strangely, BP makes mention of these episodes in fact being dubbed

Like I said, they have been dubbed. You have to look hard to find them though

And we should take your word for it because...?

So far, neither you nor anybody else has provided any proof that English versions of these episodes exist.

And we should take your word for it because...?

So far, neither you nor anybody else has provided any proof that English versions of these episodes exist.

Look for them mate. Some of us have better things to do with our time.

Given the infamy of Electric Soldier Porygon, I don't think something like that would be misremembered... but even still, she didn't mention the other banned episodes from the two posts you found, so I guess the best idea would be to try to contact one of the other voice actors again.

So, in theory, there's an English version on a tape or on someone's hard drive somewhere that's never been released.

This may not be the case; they could have recorded the voice work without actually touching the episode, maybe.

Well I sent Eric Stuart an email, and he responded almost immediately, but it isn't certain. And at the same time, it does point to the current information being incorrect:

ericemail.png

It's possible he confused Electric Soldier Porygon with Holiday at Aopulco since he says he thought it aired once.. but he does says that Legend of Dratini was never dubbed.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like he's referring to the "Beauty and the Beach" episode, which was only aired like once or twice on KidsWb and then never again.

I dunno...part of me doesn't think the voice actors are going to be able to solve this one for us since we're basically asking them if they remember dubbing a specific episode they would have dubbed ten years ago. It would be crazy if they didn't mis-remember things or get things mixed up; some of these people have done thousands of episodes of various TV shows over the years.

At the same time, though, I wouldn't know who else to ask.

Is there anyone else we can contact?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom