• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Most people have considered the Switch as both a 3DS and Wii U successor. But, there is a group arguing that we may have another successor for the 3DS, due to nintendo's statements defining Switch as a primarily home console.
Which side do you believe in?

I think Switch is their successor.
1. I think, since Nintendo is drowning slowly, it might be their best bet to lure console, and handheld people at one place, with lesser effort at designing both a console and a handheld. Imagine combining the sales of 3DS and Wii U, of Wii and the DS, with minimum CP?
2. It makes sense for GF to make Pokemon games on the Switch, since their arguement for making games for handhelds is that they want people to communicate, and move around with their games. And Switch fulfils these conditions.

Rules:
1. No particular rules, but the general forum ones.
2. It is allowed to discuss Pokemon and its implications on the new system. I just wrote this one to clarify, since my post mostly focuses on the successor.

P.S.- I wrote 4DS on the poll to save space. I don't think that's gonna be the actual name.

Reggie from Nintendo stated the 3ds has a long life left but I think in the long run Nintendo will try to give the 3ds a successor eventually.

Whether the switch is a huge success or a flop they will try to make a new portable for no other reason than selling consoles is their main priority,not selling games.

I think phones have stolen the mobile market and Eventually Nintendo will be forced out of the console market.

The switch will have a nice initial sale run with all the hardcore Nintendo fans buying it,then it will stall and all the 3rd party publishers will leave like with the Wii u

Nintendo will release the 3ds successor then an it will sell half the 3ds's sales,then prolly one more desperate console attempt and it's over.

The switch itself is a sign of desperation,if it doesn't moves 20 million units in 3 years their screwed

Reggie from Nintendo stated the 3ds has a long life left but I think in the long run Nintendo will try to give the 3ds a successor eventually.

Whether the switch is a huge success or a flop they will try to make a new portable for no other reason than selling consoles is their main priority,not selling games.

I think phones have stolen the mobile market and Eventually Nintendo will be forced out of the console market.

The switch will have a nice initial sale run with all the hardcore Nintendo fans buying it,then it will stall and all the 3rd party publishers will leave like with the Wii u

Nintendo will release the 3ds successor then an it will sell half the 3ds's sales,then prolly one more desperate console attempt and it's over.

The switch itself is a sign of desperation,if it doesn't moves 20 million units in 3 years their screwed

You cannot be sure that Nintendo Switch will be a flop. Most are saying that it will succeed, and Nintendo will be making a profit. The proof of this is that Nintendo Switch pre-orders are sold out.

And, Switch is designed for the casual gamer in mind, and, what would you prefer- giving 600$ for a console and a handheld, or paying only 300$ for a hybrid?
It brings together the handheld and console franchises.

Basically, Nintendo is putting their best foot forward, and are giving their all on Switch.

A new handheld will just eat into switch's sales, it would become Switch's competitor. So, I think that Switch is both the 3DS and Wii U's successor.

Also, about the interview some users have said that this was often done before, with someone in the Stars thread pointing out that it was said that DS was not a GBA successor.
They are just doing so so that they can trick some people to buy the 3DS. They're milking out the last they can out of the 3DS, before sending it to the Junk.

You cannot be sure that Nintendo Switch will be a flop. Most are saying that it will succeed, and Nintendo will be making a profit. The proof of this is that Nintendo Switch pre-orders are sold out.

And, Switch is designed for the casual gamer in mind, and, what would you prefer- giving 600$ for a console and a handheld, or paying only 300$ for a hybrid?
It brings together the handheld and console franchises.

Basically, Nintendo is putting their best foot forward, and are giving their all on Switch.

A new handheld will just eat into switch's sales, it would become Switch's competitor. So, I think that Switch is both the 3DS and Wii U's successor.

Also, about the interview some users have said that this was often done before, with someone in the Stars thread pointing out that it was said that DS was not a GBA successor.
They are just doing so so that they can trick some people to buy the 3DS. They're milking out the last they can out of the 3DS, before sending it to the Junk.
Nintendo can say it's a hybrid all day long but until they release some of their mobile titles on it it's just their home console.

Yes pokemon just came out but its prime time to hear about monster hunter on the switch.

Yes the switch is "selling out" but so does everything Nintendo makes,from amiibo,to the classy NES,to special 3ds variants.

As a Nintendo fan part of the struggle is it's months and months of long gaps between releases and Nintendo only releases small amounts at a time.

They do this to make their products seem successful,but in the end it just drives fans away.

The Wii u showed at most there's about 13 million hardcore Nintendo fans ( Wii u sales) and they aren't producing 13 million switches for launch.

The switch will sell out its initial run because the initial run is small,and they will prolly have a nice holiday 17

But they will struggle when they get around that 10 to 13 million sold mark

It makes no sense for Nintendo to produce another handheld besides the Switch, it'd basically be competing with themselves for the handheld market. If the Switch takes off, the 3DS is going to sputter out. Gotta sell the shiny new stuff.
It just makes no sense, they make a console that can join their libraries just to create another one??? What???

Also that Reggie interview is pure PR speak, people really need to not take this stuff so literally.

Last edited:
Also that Reggie interview is pure PR speak, people really need to not take this stuff so literally.
It's the only thing we have to go by right now, and personally, I'm gonna stick to it because of reason I've explained in other threads - specifically, because until it's said otherwise (i.e. the 3DS ceases production, like the announced for the Wii U), I don't see the Nintendo Switch taking on the traditional role a handheld gaming console has typically done in the past just yet. It'd certainly be a bit less convenient for us handheld-centric gamers to pull out any of the controllers for the system, compared to what we're used to, and it'd be a bit bulkier in general if we leave the JoyCons attached to the system. I suspect that the kinds of games we'll be seeing here will be designed either for one system and many controllers for a party multiplayer experience, or designed to work primarily online while at home and played with multiple systems LAN style while out and about, and while the latter is possible for the existing handhelds, I'm thinking of stuff like Splatoon - which would probably be best played on the external control schemes rather than playing it while the Joy-Cons are attached to the system. I honestly don't buy that they'll have the same sort of feel that a 3DS currently has with pick-up-and-play where you can just pull the lone system out of your pocket or wherever you have it stored and just flip the system for EZ communication. I will eat my words if they introduce StreetPass for the system, wireless sleep mode functionality be damned.

What does that mean for my stance on Pokémon on the Nintendo Switch? Well, on that front, I'm just glad that it wasn't announced during the January presentation. It's too early for that. I could very well enjoy the game and eat my words just the same if it were announced at all, because I'd rather we had at least a year or two before the logistical problem starts coming up with the other stuff surrounding the potential of Pokémon on the system - such as the paid subscription online service, what it means for Pokémon Bank should you not have it, and other things.

Depends, when was the 3ds first hinted at and when in the ds's life cycle did it release? We still have no hints f a successor for the 3ds and its been out since 2011 so its now 6 years old, the Ds first came out in japan in 2004 by 2011 7 years later its succesor was out. But the gameboy advance came out in 2001 and was replaced by the ds by 2004 (altough games did continue to come out until 2008 so a total 7 year lifespan) he next successor would need to come out around next year so if its not annouced by e3 we might not have a handheld successor.

I don't think the Switch will be the 3DS successor, however there possibly will be a successor to the 3DS eventually. Many articles, and even Reggie, claims that the Switch will not succeed the 3DS.

As I said in a different thread, I don't get how the Switch can run Pokemon. Pokemon is confirmed for the Switch, but is it core series?

I don't think the Switch will be the 3DS successor, however there possibly will be a successor to the 3DS eventually. Many articles, and even Reggie, claims that the Switch will not succeed the 3DS.

As I said in a different thread, I don't get how the Switch can run Pokemon. Pokemon is confirmed for the Switch, but is it core series?
Well, you got it. Since the Reggie interview is all we have on this situation, I'm going to stick with it until it is officially confirmed that the Switch is the 3DS's successor.

Pokemon have had plenty of titles on consoles before. So if the Switch is going to have Pokemon titles, it will likely to be one similar to it's previous console games.

Sun and Moon pushed the 3DS to the limit, and since the Switch is portable, Pokémon will ditch the 3DS when Gen VIII comes.

Releasing a handheld successor to the 3DS alongside the Switch defeats the entire purpose, the whole point of Nintendo making a hybrid console is so they can pool together their resources and audience onto one device to help their games sell better and avoid another Wii U-like disaster. Releasing a dedicated handheld alongside of the Switch would put them right back at square one where they have to split their games between two devices and end up with more game droughts. I wouldn't get your hopes up for an announcement of a new handheld, in all likelihood, the Switch will be Pokemon's home by 8th gen.

Now then, as for what kind of effect it'll have on Pokemon, I think there's some interesting things they could do with the Switch's local multiplayer environment. In particular, now might be a good time for Game Freak to think about implementing more co-op features. The Switch would be perfect for allowing other players explore the region and battle with you, and you could interact with other players on a deeper level.

Releasing a handheld successor to the 3DS alongside the Switch defeats the entire purpose, the whole point of Nintendo making a hybrid console is so they can pool together their resources and audience onto one device to help their games sell better and avoid another Wii U-like disaster. Releasing a dedicated handheld alongside of the Switch would put them right back at square one where they have to split their games between two devices and end up with more game droughts. I wouldn't get your hopes up for an announcement of a new handheld, in all likelihood, the Switch will be Pokemon's home by 8th gen.

Now then, as for what kind of effect it'll have on Pokemon, I think there's some interesting things they could do with the Switch's local multiplayer environment. In particular, now might be a good time for Game Freak to think about implementing more co-op features. The Switch would be perfect for allowing other players explore the region and battle with you, and you could interact with other players on a deeper level.
There are so much problems with Pokemon on the Switch. Screen size, Switch being more console than portable, and paid online play are just a few. Just look at Fire Emblem...

I'm not saying that Nintendo cannot fix that. With modern technology and coding they can. However, you are right saying a handheld successor to 3DS defeats Switch's purpose, but don't forget Nintendo's actions on the mobile market, with Pokemon, Mario, and soon Fire Emblem having games on smartphones.

There are so much problems with Pokemon on the Switch. Screen size, Switch being more console than portable, and paid online play are just a few. Just look at Fire Emblem...

I'm not saying that Nintendo cannot fix that. With modern technology and coding they can. However, you are right saying a handheld successor to 3DS defeats Switch's purpose, but don't forget Nintendo's actions on the mobile market, with Pokemon, Mario, and soon Fire Emblem having games on smartphones.

Okay first of all, the mobile games are basically just a side venture right now developed by one dev team. Nintendo's development overwhelmingly favors 3DS and Switch, with 3DS support likely tapering off over the next year. As for the other "problems" you discussed, the screen size is about the same as a 3DS XL and the Switch is very much portable. And paid online is somewhat disappointing, but expected. Quality online just isn't cheap anymore.

As much as I dislike Awakening, what's wrong with Fire Emblem that can be attributed to the Switch? We don't even know anything about the recently announced Switch title other than it's a thing.

What's wrong with the Switch's screen size? If this is that portability argument again, it's already been shown Switch without Joycons attached is about the size of a 3DSXL.

Nintendo has already stated the paid online won't apply to all games iirc.

The actions with the mobile market is to court people into their main market, their console market. It's essentially a side thing to generate profit and potential audience by using what's popular at the moment. Mobile gaming is HUGE right now, everyone wants a slice of that pie.

Back
Top Bottom