• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Of course they are still profitable, however, you must ask what benefit Nintendo Switch's hybrid feature is if Nintendo also plan to create a seperate handheld console alongside it anyway. Unless of course, we go with my theory that Nintendo will release a handheld only version of the Switch. That way, there will still be a cheaper, 'dedicated' handheld line, without making Nintendo Switch's handheld aspect redundant.

Simple: They didn't originally plan to maintain a separate handheld line. Something in the sales figures, probably in Japan, forced them to.

Simple: They didn't originally plan to maintain a separate handheld line. Something in the sales figures, probably in Japan, forced them to.

I may remind you that such decisions don't change overnight...

Well, I'm expecting Nintendo to be working to phase out the 3DS line slowly (with the stopping of repairs for O3DS being the first step), only to replace it with a handheld Switch version fully compactible with the regular JoyCons and the dock, while also releasing a 'Pro' dock for the whiners.

I hope Nintendo realised that the Switch is an accessory-selling heaven.

They did, but why would you hope for that? It's all so gimmicky and cash grabbing.

Becuase that would be a selling factor, I guess. I'm expecting to see Pokemon-themed JoyCons for one, along with a Pokemon-themed Switch.

(And if they're creative enough, they can distribute RBY games with their respective neon-coloured JoyCon)

I may remind you that such decisions don't change overnight...

Well, I'm expecting Nintendo to be working to phase out the 3DS line slowly (with the stopping of repairs for O3DS being the first step), only to replace it with a handheld Switch version fully compactible with the regular JoyCons and the dock, while also releasing a 'Pro' dock for the whiners.

I hope Nintendo realised that the Switch is an accessory-selling heaven.

This is Nintendo. Such decisions can, and have, changed overnight. Sometimes literally.

Just ask Sony about it. The Playstation wouldn't even exist if Nintendo hadn't jerked them around on developing the N64DD.

But what is most likely is that we're both wrong. That wouldn't surprise me with Nintendo either.

This is Nintendo. Such decisions can, and have, changed overnight. Sometimes literally.

Just ask Sony about it. The Playstation wouldn't even exist if Nintendo hadn't jerked them around on developing the N64DD.

But what is most likely is that we're both wrong. That wouldn't surprise me with Nintendo either.

These things usually require careful planning.

What if the Wii U began to sky rocket in sales now? Would Nintendo just reduce Switch production?
I think it would not be something which cannot be decided in a day.

These things usually require careful planning.

What if the Wii U began to sky rocket in sales now? Would Nintendo just reduce Switch production?
I think it would not be something which cannot be decided in a day.

The N64DD, Virtual Boy, and Wii U all reveal how well Nintendo handles careful planning at times.

It is something that can be decided in a day. Companies make decisions in a day on this scale and bigger all of the time. Implementation is usually the lengthy process.

But a variant 2DS? They probably had a design for that for a year or two. Just decided to put it into production.

A new Direct has been announced! It will focus on ARMS and Splatoon 2, and I think that the chance of a new Pokemon game being revealed here is 0%.

Well, the odds of being announced here is 0%, but Pokemon directs are usually independent(?) from Nintendo...

This does decrease the odds of a Pokemon game, I'll admit.
This direct AFAIK dosen't focus on Splatoon (I've just read a Reddit post) it just listed ARMS.

Has anyone hearing any plans for announcement from pokemon direct, pokenchi, or release date for announcement?

What if they have a surprise Pokemon Direct on the same day that Nintendo Direct will be announced May 17th?

I'd advise everyone to not hold their breath for any "surprise" announcement.

Personally, after this bust, I'm not expecting anything for the rest of this month.

That being said, I have a hard time believing that this would be a break year. Even if I don't get my preferred outcome (Kanto sequels), I expect something like Stars at the very least. Back-to-back break years would be agonizing, and how could they not want to capitalize on the momentum generated by SM? Surely even Game Freak can tell that there's not enough content in SM to hold people over for two years?

Actually, speaking of that. Who knows how much relevance this actually has; it could just be a complete coincidence. But I got to thinking recently - they've held Global Missions at a rate of once a month since last November. But we actually know how many Global Missions are planned, because the datamine included the Festival Plaza text for each one (see the spoiler box in this post I made a while back for those details, though keep in mind that two more of those missions have been completed since then). Next month's mission is the fishing one, which will leave one mission each for June, July, August, September, and October. If we are getting a new game this year, that would align with this schedule - the missions will all have been completed (or will at least be wrapping up) by the time the new game comes out.

Well that's a shame, weird to have another 'regular' Direct after we've just had one though, couldn't they just have included this info in the previous one?

Also don't believe there'll be a surprise Pokémon announcement in this one, if they wanted to announce anything regarding Pokémon they would've probably made a seperate Pokémon Direct as they always do iirc.

Do believe E3 is still an option though. With them revealing so much stuff now already, it can be they don't have much left to announce at the E3 so a Pokémon game could be one of the announcements there. Yes, they haven't done it before, but that still doesn't mean they can't do it now.

We're not currently sure if the Nintendo Switch will be the true successor (replacement) of the Nintendo 3DS. As of now, the plans are for the 3DS to coexist alongside the Switch. However, I don't think Gamefreak should worry about current consoles playing games from the previous consoles, when the potential for great Pokémon games can be achieved for Nintendo Switch. Sure, it is a shame that Nintendo Switch cannot play 3DS games, however, it is what it is. I don't want that to be an excuse for game freak not to develop Pokémon games for Nintendo Switch.

I also don't currently believe there will be a '3DS' successor. In my opinion, there would be little point in making Nintendo Switch a completely hybrid console, only to go around and create a new handheld console. What I see happening is Nintendo creating the next handheld console to be a 'miniature Switch,' that is to say, a handheld only version of the Switch that serves as a cheaper alternative to Nintendo Switch, and plays Switch games. I only see handheld consoles being created if the Switch fails (which I highly doubt), or if the next home console is not a hybrid console like Nintendo Switch.
If the switch is the 3ds successor there'd be no way to transfer our gen 7 Pokemon to gen 8

You think the gen 2 to gen 3 backlash was bad just try telling all the Pokedex completionists and shiny hunters none of their Pokemon can go forward. (Plus all those event pokemon we just got wasted)

If the switch is the 3ds successor there'd be no way to transfer our gen 7 Pokemon to gen 8

Pokémon Bank is a thing and the Wii and Wii U were able to connect with the handhelds too so there could definitely be a way. There is no confirmation at all of the 3DS not being able to connect with the Switch yet.

I'm still giving them until August, so there's a few months left.

Back
Top Bottom