• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
If the switch is the 3ds successor there'd be no way to transfer our gen 7 Pokemon to gen 8

You think the gen 2 to gen 3 backlash was bad just try telling all the Pokedex completionists and shiny hunters none of their Pokemon can go forward. (Plus all those event pokemon we just got wasted)

Care to explain why you jumped to that conclusion with nothing factual to back it up? Just because Nintendo Switch can't play 3DS games doesn't mean the two consoles can't communicate. Home console and handheld have been able to communicate in the past, and with even better technology, there is no reason to assume 3DS and Switch can't communicate.

Also, Pokémon Bank/transporter is a thing. In case you've forgotten, these apps were designed specifically to be able to transfer Pokémon to newer generations.

Ah, regarding the New 2DS; I don't really see it as an indicator that they'll keep the 3DS line, or even the dedicated handheld line, alive for years to come. As far as I'm aware, this is nothing new? They released the Wii Mini after the Wii U was released, if I recall correctly.

And I don't really want them to release a brand new Pokemon game for an aged console like the 3DS, it will only serve to limit it - unless they made it New 3/2DS exclusive and made use of the superior hardware, but even so, not very good. I'd rather they start jumping at the Switch now. A third version of Sun/Moon would be a pretty good - and safe - approach, let's Game Freak dip into HD mainline Pokemon and Switch development with a game that still has appeal, but is already done, while preparing for a bigger, brand new one made specifically for Switch.

Tl;dr I want them to phase out the 3DS line already and focus on developing exclusively for the Switch, for a host of reasons~

I think they should ditch the 3DS when Gen 8. If we get Sinnoh remakes this generation, I think they should be on both the 3DS and the Switch.

If we get Sinnoh remakes this generation, I think they should be on both the 3DS and the Switch.
Hmm, not sure how likely this would bez though. So far, each console generation (not Pokemon generation) has had one remake of past games, first the GBA with FR/LF, then the DS with HG/SS, then the 3DS with OR/AS, would be odd if they made D/P/Pt remakes on the 3DS, too.

And tbh, I think that, unless they're really different, which would be odd, simply having the DPPt remakes on 3DS will also hold back the Switch version :<

Hmm, not sure how likely this would bez though. So far, each console generation (not Pokemon generation) has had one remake of past games, first the GBA with FR/LF, then the DS with HG/SS, then the 3DS with OR/AS, would be odd if they made D/P/Pt remakes on the 3DS, too.

And tbh, I think that, unless they're really different, which would be odd, simply having the DPPt remakes on 3DS will also hold back the Switch version :<

They make it for the Switch but port it to the 3DS?
Thing is that some people bought the 3DS just for SM.

They make it for the Switch but port it to the 3DS?
Thing is that some people bought the 3DS just for SM.
1. I'd research if I were buying a system close to its end. I had an option to buy a 3DS at the time of SM but then lord Stars rumour had to crop up to stop me from going to the dark side.
2. They have got compensation in the form of XY, BW, BW2, DP, HGSS, RBY

1. I'd research if I were buying a system close to its end. I had an option to buy a 3DS at the time of SM but then lord Stars rumour had to crop up to stop me from going to the dark side.
2. They have got compensation in the form of XY, BW, BW2, DP, HGSS, RBY

I personally got lucky because my friend gave me his 3DS. Else, I would have waited, so I would have been without a Pokémon game right now.
I think GF should put the old games on VC.
Some people still like playing Emerald even though ORAS exists.

Some people still like playing Emerald even though ORAS exists.
You mentioned that people bought a 3DS just for SM.
So either they have Nintendo systems or have never played emerald.

How can people like emerald without playing it? I'd think that a newcomer would say that ORAS is better just due to graphics.
EDIT: Also, you're mentioning one game vs 3-4 pairs of games? Surely one cannot have everything? I thought it was common consent that earth isn't heaven?

You mentioned that people bought a 3DS just for SM.
So either they have Nintendo systems or have never played emerald.

How can people like emerald without playing it? I'd think that a newcomer would say that ORAS is better just due to graphics.
EDIT: Also, you're mentioning one game vs 3-4 pairs of games? Surely one cannot have everything? I thought it was common consent that earth isn't heaven?

Maybe I should have been clearer.
Since Gen I was released on VC, many people wanted Gen II to follow suit. Reasons: one of them is that you can't transfer your Pokémon from Gen II onwards. It also seems that there are issues with the GSC save file on the Game Boy.
I know HGSS exists, but you need another handheld to transfer your Pokémon from Gen IV to V.
In addition to that, it doesn't take much for GF to release games on VC. What? One week.

There is the matter of HGSS's existence though.

On the one hand, while the possibility now exist for one person to visit the entire Pokemon world with one console, the price tag associated with transferring the pokemon up (requires another system, and the games themselves apparently range form full retail price to sextuple that) renders that an improbability for most.

But on the other hand, GF might see the possibility as enough reason to no make VC ports of Gen 2. It might stand to reason that they think only one version of a given generation games is enough and that they would likely not port past games there if the games already exist on the same console in another form. And that the VC remakes and ORAS would likely not exist had the 3DS retained the original DS' backwards compatibility with the GBA.

This presents an interesting dilemma. The inability to play the 3DS games would likely mean that this status could be diminished (as the lack of backwards compatibility would make the Switch's library mutually exclusive with the 3DS Library regarding the pokemon franchise), and while they can port the first 3 Generation games and Shuffle to Switch, and that Gen 7 has diminished the use of the 2nd screen to the point where porting it there is eaiser (important for the Stars rumor), Gen 4 and 5 still have a slight dependence on the second screen (especially with Sinnoh's regional gadget, the Poketch), that might require a remake instead of a straight port, something possible for Sinnoh, but not for Unova until the successor arrives and has backwards compatibility for the Switch. (though GF could likely choose to eschew this aspect. Gens 3 and 5 didn't have all the games up to this point being immediately available, and the anniversary passing makes this coincidence less necessary to maintain)

Maybe I should have been clearer.
Since Gen I was released on VC, many people wanted Gen II to follow suit. Reasons: one of them is that you can't transfer your Pokémon from Gen II onwards. It also seems that there are issues with the GSC save file on the Game Boy.
I know HGSS exists, but you need another handheld to transfer your Pokémon from Gen IV to V.
In addition to that, it doesn't take much for GF to release games on VC. What? One week.

I was replying to how you said that people would like playing emerald.

Geez. A VC release of GSC would be easy to pull off and would generate a generous profit. Why overthink it?

THIS.

This is why I'm honestly baffled that we still haven't gotten it. HGSS compatibility, available Pokemon, transferal, etc. doesn't mean $#!%. It's an insanely cheap and quick way to make loads of money. If they don't at release GSC on 3DS VC this year, I don't know what's wrong with GF's mind lol.

It isn't too late. My bet is that they're waiting for the next game announcement to coincide with a surprise VC release.

Hope so. That would be fantastic. Like you said, they could announce the new game, add on the surprise GSC release, and then be like "hey! You can transfer any Pokemon you catch in GSC to [New Game] and get these special bonuses! GSC releases today and [New Game] releases in Autumn!"

Please let this happen soon lol

Geez. A VC release of GSC would be easy to pull off and would generate a generous profit. Why overthink it?

THIS.

This is why I'm honestly baffled that we still haven't gotten it. HGSS compatibility, available Pokemon, transferal, etc. doesn't mean $#!%. It's an insanely cheap and quick way to make loads of money. If they don't at release GSC on 3DS VC this year, I don't know what's wrong with GF's mind lol.

In pure units sold, Red and Blue virtual console releases were the worst-performing main-series games ever released.

Yeah, every sale was pretty much pure profit, but they also were not even remotely popular as a release.

So it's entirely possible that they're not doing it because one part of the triad that owns Pokemon doesn't see the effort as worth it.

In pure units sold, Red and Blue virtual console releases were the worst-performing main-series games ever released.

Yeah, every sale was pretty much pure profit, but they also were not even remotely popular as a release.

So it's entirely possible that they're not doing it because one part of the triad that owns Pokemon doesn't see the effort as worth it.
I am sorry, but a huge LOL is in order here. Why on earth would you compare a straightforward re-release of 20-year old games to the regular main series games? Almost zero effort is required for them.

The only relevant comparison is to other eShop games. Guess what? RGBY are the highest-selling games in that department.

I am sorry, but a huge LOL is in order here. Why on earth would you compare a straightforward re-release of 20-year old games to the regular main series games? Almost zero effort is required for them.

The only relevant comparison is to other eShop games. Guess what? RGBY are the highest-selling games in that department.

Here's a better question for you: Is it out of character for Nintendo to make a decision that dumb with a franchise they have ownership over?

Back
Top Bottom