• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Can we not assume that they're making a dumb decision when nothing at all has been announced for this year yet? Give it time.

Two people commented on the issue and that they question why it hadn't been done yet. I provided a possible reason. A reason also possible for why they won't do it if it turns out they don't.

I never stated it was the definite reason.

In pure units sold, Red and Blue virtual console releases were the worst-performing main-series games ever released.

Yeah, every sale was pretty much pure profit, but they also were not even remotely popular as a release.

So it's entirely possible that they're not doing it because one part of the triad that owns Pokemon doesn't see the effort as worth it.

You've got to be kidding me. RBY on VC are the highest grossing eShop titles ever. It's pure profit, and from an eShop standpoint, it's huge. Extremely low cost, and a higher reward than anything else on the entire eShop. And your claim that they don't see that it's worth it is not only baseless, but most likely wrong. That's like saying it's not worth bending over to pick up a stray $100 bill.

The simplest explanation for why they haven't done it yet is that they just believe that the best time for release is yet to come. But after reading your most recent post, I suppose I can see what you're saying.

Well, to be fair, 90% of the time if you see a $100 bill laying around in some random location, it's a trick of some sort. So, it usually isn't worth bending over to try to pick one up.

But, yeah, I could be wrong. Probably am. It's pure speculation unless they outright tell us definitely.

IMO, if they do release a pokemon to Switch, they probably going to do like Gen V did, they can release it on Spin-off game and then move on to Gen VIII. They already started Sun/ Moon on 3ds, It wouldn't make since to release a main series game on a new system in the mid-generation. I think the next game would be on 3ds.

IMO, if they do release a pokemon to Switch, they probably going to do like Gen V did, they can release it on Spin-off game and then move on to Gen VIII. They already started Sun/ Moon on 3ds, It wouldn't make since to release a main series game on a new system in the mid-generation. I think the next game would be on 3ds.

GF. Don't. Make. Spin. Off. Games.

I may gain the ability to use fire type moves from the lack of facts people display.

Tbh, if it be on Switch, I wouldn't mind, if be a cross-platform, it will be the first time and I still wouldn't mind that either. Since Nintendo Switch isn't backward compatibility and the successor of 3ds, it would make since of 3ds and switch communicates, I wonder does trading pokemon between 3ds and switch consider communication or that will not happen, because the only way you trade pokemon between 3ds and switch is pokemon bank?

*cool down timer complete xd*
I wonder does trading pokemon between 3ds and switch consider communication or that will not happen, because the only way you trade pokemon between 3ds and switch is pokemon bank?
We don't know yet. Since the previous consoles and handhelds could communicate, I will not be surprised if you are able to trade from 3DS to Switch and vice versa .

*cool down timer complete xd*

We don't know yet. Since the previous consoles and handhelds could communicate, I will not be surprised if you are able to trade from 3DS to Switch and vice versa .

I could actually see them using a special accessory for this. They've done it before with spin-off games, and it worked well. Doing it for a main series game would be a major selling point for those who have the portable games, and wouldn't detract anything from those who don't.

I could actually see them using a special accessory for this. They've done it before with spin-off games, and it worked well. Doing it for a main series game would be a major selling point for those who have the portable games, and wouldn't detract anything from those who don't.
I think an accessory may cause a blacklash among 3DS owners.
Did any spin off on console ever require an accessory to communicate with the main games?

@shemar corbin Is there any evidence the 3DS and the Switch can't communicate? Has it been tested?
There is no evidence.

In fact, since the other console/handheld pairs can communicate, I think there is a great chance that 3DS and Switch can communicate too.

There is no evidence.

In fact, since the other console/handheld pairs can communicate, I think there is a great chance that 3DS and Switch can communicate too.

That's only been true when they're same generation. The GB/GBC and N64, the GBA and GC, the DS and Wii, and the 3DS and Wii U can communicate with each other, but those devices were same generation devices introduced all around the same time, which the 3DS and Switch aren't. The only way cross gen devices could communicate with each other in the past was through BC, which the Switch lacks. If we're going on precedence here odds are actually that the 3DS and Switch can't communicate, as that would be more like the Wii U being able to communicate with the DS.

That's only been true when they're same generation. The GB/GBC and N64, the GBA and GC, the DS and Wii, and the 3DS and Wii U can communicate with each other, but those devices were same generation devices introduced all around the same time, which the 3DS and Switch aren't. The only way cross gen devices could communicate with each other in the past was through BC, which the Switch lacks. If we're going on precedence here odds are actually that the 3DS and Switch can't communicate, as that would be more like the Wii U being able to communicate with the DS.

That is a terrible comparison. Nintendo DS was dead before Wii U was even released, so of course those systems couldn't communicate. That situation is vastly different to now, when Nintendo 3DS is still well and truly alive during the release of Switch. Nintendo 3DS still has a good year or two left, so there is no reason why Nintendo shouldn't have made communications between the two consoles available.

I think an accessory may cause a blacklash among 3DS owners.
Did any spin off on console ever require an accessory to communicate with the main games?

Yes. Pokemon Stadium and its sequel. Nintendo fixed that later on by intentionally designing both handheld and console to communicate directly. Something that, as far as we know, hasn't been done with the Switch and 3DS family.

Of course, we also don't know the Switch hasn't been designed for it either; there is, as you point out, no evidence.

The N64 wasn't designed to interact with the Game Boy, lol. They had no idea of how well Pokemon would be received back during the N64's development. Luckily, the Transfer Pak wasn't a complicated accessory. Also, saying that the N64 and Game Boy are part of the same generation is a stretch... Even the SNES hadn't even been released when the original Game Boy was.

This time around, Nintendo would know about a Switch Pokemon game interacting with SM and would prepare for it. They wouldn't tell us anything about it before it became relevant...

Last edited:
That is a terrible comparison. Nintendo DS was dead before Wii U was even released, so of course those systems couldn't communicate. That situation is vastly different to now, when Nintendo 3DS is still well and truly alive during the release of Switch. Nintendo 3DS still has a good year or two left, so there is no reason why Nintendo shouldn't have made communications between the two consoles available.

Okay, first of all, how do you know the 3DS has a year or two left? You're not Nintendo, you don't know for certain how long the 3DS has left. Second, whether or not the system is dead isn't as relevant as whether or not it's technically possible. But if you're that concerned about the system being "dead", a better example for that would be DS and GC. The DS was on the market for 2 years with the GC and could they communicate? Nope.

Either way, the point I was making was that the 3DS and Switch communicating would NOT be a typical relationship. They were created 6 years apart and are arguably from different generations, and the precedence is only for same generation hardware to fully communicate with each other and for previous generations to only communicate through BC. So either the 3DS and Switch are breaking convention or the Switch will only be able to communicate with itself until its successor. So let's not act like 3DS and Switch communication is completely expected, I would go into this expecting only being able to transfer Pokemon from 3DS to Switch via Bank.

Nintendo has said that the 3DS will be supported until 2018, lol. They didn't say that about the DS, and yet B2W2 were released over a year after the 3DS.

And the GB and N64 were released 7 years apart... Your argument is incredibly weak.

Nintendo has said that the 3DS will be supported until 2018, lol. They didn't say that about the DS, and yet B2W2 were released over a year after the 3DS.

It's PR, of course Nintendo's not going to say they're dropping the 3DS. They want the system to keep selling until its natural death. That doesn't mean that the 3DS has a long term future and it's going to be compatible with the Switch. "Support" could mean a couple of B or C tier games and some lingering third party releases, it doesn't necessarily mean that the 3DS is going to remain on the market. They claimed the DS was a third pillar just like they did with the Switch and look what happened, the GBA was dead within a year and the GC soon followed.

And like I told Akira Bond, the GC didn't get support just because it was on the market for another 2 years. Continuing to support a console means jack squat for compatibility, it just means they want to keep selling it.

And the GB and N64 were released 7 years apart... Your argument is incredibly weak.

3 console generations of that same pattern begs to differ. There's more historical precedence going against 3DS/Switch communication than for it regardless.

Bolt, you're making less sense these days than you did in 2015, and that's saying something. You do expect the next game to be a 3DS one, right? So cut the crap about the GBA comparison. It isn't just PR when their software projections for the 3DS are 40 million, which is higher than 35 million for the Switch. The 3DS' future is just fine for this fiscal year.

And the the home consoles that followed the N64... coincided nicely with new handheld systems. That says nothing. Was there a reason for the Wii U to communicate with the DS? Nope.

Analytical thinking. Learn it. Live by it. I beseech you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom