• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The 3DS Successor and its effects on Pokemon

Do you think Switch is the 3DS Successor, and we may get a Pokemon game on it?

• Yes, Switch is the true successor for Wii U and 3DS, and we're gonna have core games on it.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • No, we're gonna have a new handheld system to replace 3DS and Pokemon games will be restricted to it

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • No. We're gonna have a new successor to 3DS, and Core series will be present on both Switch and '4DS

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
I'm considering the possibility none of these will come about... and something far darker will result.

In 2015, Game Freak released their first game for a non-Nintendo system in over a decade. They had been Nintendo-loyal for 16 years... until that point. This year, they're releasing another.

I find it very strange that the point when Game Freak likely heard about the Switch being in development is the point when, suddenly, they're investigating other systems for selling products on. It's almost like they are considering if they would rather drop their most profitable line of games than develop for a Nintendo home console.

Some of the recent news about the problems the Switch has certainly isn't helping if they are considering that.

I'm considering the possibility none of these will come about... and something far darker will result.

In 2015, Game Freak released their first game for a non-Nintendo system in over a decade. They had been Nintendo-loyal for 16 years... until that point. This year, they're releasing another.

I find it very strange that the point when Game Freak likely heard about the Switch being in development is the point when, suddenly, they're investigating other systems for selling products on. It's almost like they are considering if they would rather drop their most profitable line of games than develop for a Nintendo home console.

Some of the recent news about the problems the Switch has certainly isn't helping if they are considering that.
Yep. Looks like Pokemon isn't coming to the Switch is GF is going to act like this.

Rare was like that until they were bought by Microsoft in 2002, and they have been developing many Nintendo games from 1985 to 2002. Heck, they had a partnership with Nintendo in 1995 to 2002, and produced gems like Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie. Even after the partnership there were still a few Nintendo games made by them.
Now look at GF. First, they are many years younger than Rare, and the only memorable game they have produced for Nintendo is Pokemon. Second, GF isn't in a contract with Nintendo, so it has the liberty to produce any game it wants with any company. Rare was bound to a partnership with Nintendo until being bought, so up until then almost all games produced were mainly for Nintendo systems. GF doesn't have any partnership, as far as I know. What I'm trying to say is that even if GF doesn't outright produce a Nintendo Switch game, that doesn't mean it will never produce one. It has to make other unique games, as it has the freedom to do so.
So? As I said before they didn't have to stick with Nintendo. Also, the Switch is bound to get a Pokemon game no matter what. Pokemon cannot be ported to any other non-Nintendo console, since its also partially owned by Nintendo. Plus, Masuda literally stated in an interview that "The Switch is the future" or something like that, as quoted may times before. They have already talked about the Switch and Gamestop even confirmed that there will be a Pokemon game, whether it's core or spin-off, by accidentally leaking that a Pokemon game will be on the Switch. They are developing a Pokemon game, it's just not announced yet.

Rare was like that until they were bought by Microsoft in 2002, and they have been developing many Nintendo games from 1985 to 2002. Heck, they had a partnership with Nintendo in 1995 to 2002, and produced gems like Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie. Even after the partnership there were still a few Nintendo games made by them.
Now look at GF. First, they are many years younger than Rare, and the only memorable game they have produced for Nintendo is Pokemon. Second, GF isn't in a contract with Nintendo, so it has the liberty to produce any game it wants with any company. Rare was bound to a partnership with Nintendo until being bought, so up until then almost all games produced were mainly for Nintendo systems. GF doesn't have any partnership, as far as I know. What I'm trying to say is that even if GF doesn't outright produce a Nintendo Switch game, that doesn't mean it will never produce one. It has to make other unique games, as it has the freedom to do so.

The Pokemon Company is a joint partnership between Game Freak and Nintendo. It oversees all Pokemon merchandise.

So? As I said before they didn't have to stick with Nintendo. Also, the Switch is bound to get a Pokemon game no matter what. Pokemon cannot be ported to any other non-Nintendo console, since its also partially owned by Nintendo. Plus, Masuda literally stated in an interview that "The Switch is the future" or something like that, as quoted may times before. They have already talked about the Switch and Gamestop even confirmed that there will be a Pokemon game, whether it's core or spin-off, by accidentally leaking that a Pokemon game will be on the Switch. They are developing a Pokemon game, it's just not announced yet.

Until we have an announcement of what that game will be, I'm not holding my breathe. Games do end up changing. Grey, for example, became Black 2 and White 2. I mean, I'm hoping we do see something on the Switch and I think the Switch would be good for Pokemon, but I'm also realistic enough to recognize there are other factors involved.

I just find it interesting those statements are the only support GF has given the Switch. GF has actively avoided any other public support of the system, to the point it's conspicuous, and then there are those games.

We pretty much have what looks like a pure "toeing the line" PR statement from GF and a theory from Eurogamer as the only evidence that a Switch game is coming.

It could be that GF is just trying to keep quiet until they have a final product to show on the announcement side, which isn't out of character for them. But the developing for other consoles is out of character for them, and I don't think we can ignore that.

The Pokemon Company is a joint partnership between Game Freak and Nintendo. It oversees all Pokemon merchandise.
Yeah, but Game Freak itself is also a company that produces games. Your statement is what I meant by Pokemon games being Nintendo-exclusive.
Until we have an announcement of what that game will be, I'm not holding my breathe. Games do end up changing. Grey, for example, became Black 2 and White 2.

I just find it interesting those statements are the only support GF has given the Switch. GF has actively avoided any other public support of the system, to the point it's conspicuous, and then there are those games.

We pretty much have what looks like a pure "toeing the line" PR statement from GF and a theory from Eurogamer as the only evidence that a Switch game is coming.

It could be that GF is just trying to keep quiet until they have a final product to show on the announcement side, which isn't out of character for them. But the developing for other consoles is out of character for them, and I don't think we can ignore that.
And that's why we speculate ;).
As you have said before they have developed many non-Nintendo games before, like Pulseman and some Japanese games that none of us have heard of. When Pokemon blew up obviously GF had to focus on it, to make it live to get money. Now that Pokemon had established that it will always be a strong franchise, GF can start thinking about what else they can produce, hence Tembo the Badass Elephant and Pocket Card Jockey (though to be fair Nintendo was the one who released it worldwide).
Also, they haven't developed any games for XBox or PlayStation yet, and most companies have some PC games, so they are still Nintendo loyal, as far as I know.

Hold on a minute. For one, Game Freak isn't the only company to go mobile. Nintendo themselves have also made mobile games. Just because they're making mobile games doesn't mean they're not also making Switch games. Second, game developers generally don't like to show their hand until they're ready to officially announce a game, don't expect to hear much more than those kinds of statements from Game Freak until they actually show us a Switch game. This is common practice, not just in gaming but in business in general so as not to give competitors time to plan around your product.

So this is definitely jumping to conclusions. We don't know the full picture of what Game Freak is doing, some of the things Game Freak is working on now we may not even see until 2019 or maybe even 2020. It's simply too early to say Game Freak isn't doing anything for the Switch, all you're going to get from them for the time being is vague and noncommittal statements about the possibility of Pokemon on the Switch.

Yeah, but Game Freak itself is also a company that produces games. Your statement is what I meant by Pokemon games being Nintendo-exclusive.

Ah, okay!

And that's why we speculate ;).
As you have said before they have developed many non-Nintendo games before, like Pulseman and some Japanese games that none of us have heard of. When Pokemon blew up obviously GF had to focus on it, to make it live to get money. Now that Pokemon had established that it will always be a strong franchise, GF can start thinking about what else they can produce, hence Tembo the Badass Elephant and Pocket Card Jockey (though to be fair Nintendo was the one who released it worldwide).
Also, they haven't developed any games for XBox or PlayStation yet, and most companies have some PC games, so they are still Nintendo loyal, as far as I know.

Tembo the Badass Elephant is available on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4. There's also Giga Wrecker on Steam, directly published by Game Freak.

And, I could see this. I just question why they wouldn't have done it sooner. Maybe there was an exclusivity contract between them and Nintendo that expired? That wouldn't be out of character for Nintendo.

Hold on a minute. For one, Game Freak isn't the only company to go mobile. Nintendo themselves have also made mobile games. Just because they're making mobile games doesn't mean they're not also making Switch games. Second, game developers generally don't like to show their hand until they're ready to officially announce a game, don't expect to hear much more than those kinds of statements from Game Freak until they actually show us a Switch game. This is common practice, not just in gaming but in business in general so as not to give competitors time to plan around your product.

So this is definitely jumping to conclusions. We don't know the full picture of what Game Freak is doing, some of the things Game Freak is working on now we may not even see until 2019 or maybe even 2020. It's simply too early to say Game Freak isn't doing anything for the Switch, all you're going to get from them for the time being is vague and noncommittal statements about the possibility of Pokemon on the Switch.

It's not going mobile that I'm talking about. It's actually making a game for Xbox and PlayStation I'm talking about. And I did note they could just be silent until they know for certain it's going to be published in an above post.

And I didn't say for certain they're not doing anything for Switch; that is a case of jumping to a conclusion to accuse me of jumping to conclusions. I stated they might not. Nothing more than speculation as to what they are considering for making a Switch game and a possible outcome of that consideration.

Tembo the Badass Elephant is available on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4. There's also Giga Wrecker on Steam, directly published by Game Freak.

And, I could see this. I just question why they wouldn't have done it sooner. Maybe there was an exclusivity contract between them and Nintendo that expired? That wouldn't be out of character for Nintendo.
I was thinking of Pokemon when I typed that, so lol.

There's also some issues with the Switch's online functionality that you should be considering.
All I can think of as of now is that Nintendo Wifi will need a subscription. That's the strongest reason why Stars might not exist, and was the one I was sticking with before I became neutral

It isn't a theory, but a leak. Also, GameStop said that we'll be able to play Pokemon on our home consoles, with a new experience.

There's also some issues with the Switch's online functionality that you should be considering.
The web browser is sort of "coming soon" stage, and they'll find out a solution to the wifi problems.

Yep. Looks like Pokemon isn't coming to the Switch is GF is going to act like this.
Pokemon is bound to come on Switch if there is no Nintendo handheld. Nintendo owns a third of TPCi

It isn't a theory, but a leak. Also, GameStop said that we'll be able to play Pokemon on our home consoles, with a new experience.

It's a theory. The only leak that Eurogamer reported on was that there was a Pokemon Switch game in development side-by-side with Sun and Moon. Eurogamer theorized that this is a) going to come out this year; b) a third game in the series; c) not going to be released next year or cancelled despite an apparent delay during development. Despite the fact that nowhere in their article do they indicate their sources say any of this. And including the fact one of those sources claimed Breath of the Wild would not be a launch title. So add d) the source isn't wrong again.

It's not an unreasonable theory, but they make it pretty clear early in the article it is a theory. They base most of their evidence for it on the past history of Game Freak.

It's a theory. The only leak that Eurogamer reported on was that there was a Pokemon Switch game in development side-by-side with Sun and Moon. Eurogamer theorized that this is a) going to come out this year; b) a third game in the series; c) not going to be released next year or cancelled despite an apparent delay during development. Despite the fact that nowhere in their article do they indicate their sources say any of this. And including the fact one of those sources claimed Breath of the Wild would not be a launch title. So add d) the source isn't wrong again.

It's not an unreasonable theory, but they make it pretty clear early in the article it is a theory. They base most of their evidence for it on the past history of Game Freak.

Read the original article. Sources: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon version

Multiple sources tell Eurogamer the game is already well into development, will launch in 2017, and currently holds the codename of Pokémon Stars.
The rest of the post first explains us about third versions, then goes on to Pikipek HD model as more evidence.
It isn't listed at all that it is a theory. It may be a bit of speculation on their part, but, Stars was provided by sources, so technically, it's existence is a leak, not theory. The article includes leaks. Also, Eurogamer got that one thing wrong, and proceeded to predict most of Switch's features accurately. So, Zelda could've been a mistake.

Also, you completely neglected the GameStop part. GameStop Leak Accidentally Reveals 'Pokémon' For Nintendo Switch
They said that we'll be 'even [...] be able to play Pokémon at home', the word 'even' indicates that it is a new experience and not a standard spin off.

The rest of the post first explains us about third versions, then goes on to Pikipek HD model as more evidence.
I personally consider Pikipek HD to be the official reference model and just that. (I know that's a pretty boring explanation.) Obviously, it is difficult to judge just how many polygons made it into the in-game battle models just by viewing them, but when the game starts lagging with more than three such models onscreen at a time, it has to be a lot.

Read the original article. Sources: Nintendo Switch to get Pokémon Sun and Moon version

It isn't listed at all that it is a theory. It may be a bit of speculation on their part, but, Stars was provided by sources, so technically, it's existence is a leak, not theory. The article includes leaks. Also, Eurogamer got that one thing wrong, and proceeded to predict most of Switch's features accurately. So, Zelda could've been a mistake.

Also, you completely neglected the GameStop part. GameStop Leak Accidentally Reveals 'Pokémon' For Nintendo Switch
They said that we'll be 'even [...] be able to play Pokémon at home', the word 'even' indicates that it is a new experience and not a standard spin off.

I did read the article. Now tell me: Where in the article does it say their sources said it was a third game in the main series? They also admit elsewhere the game has been delayed according to those sources, but then state they believe it'll be still released in 2017.

And, you're right... I am ignoring GameStop's leak. That's because GameStop leaks are usually wrong. Whenever GameStop leaks a release date, then pulls back the information, the leaked information has turned out to be false 90% of the time. A large portion of the time, so have major technical details. So if anything, the GameStop leak is evidence against what you're saying.

It has not been proven by anything. GameStop leaks are usually wrong.

I did read the article. Now tell me: Where in the article does it say their sources said it was a third game in the main series?

"A new version of Pokémon Sun and Moon will launch for Nintendo Switch.

Multiple sources tell Eurogamer the game is already well into development, will launch in 2017, and currently holds the codename of Pokémon Stars."

Right there, at the start of the article. Sources have told them there is one game in development, and that it's a new version of Pokémon Sun and Moon. That is the very definition of a third version. This is not a theory, this is literally the rumor/leak.

"A new version of Pokémon Sun and Moon will launch for Nintendo Switch.

Multiple sources tell Eurogamer the game is already well into development, will launch in 2017, and currently holds the codename of Pokémon Stars."

Right there, at the start of the article. Sources have told them there is one game in development, and that it's a new version of Pokémon Sun and Moon. That is the very definition of a third version. This is not a theory, this is literally the rumor/leak.

Couple of things with that:
"A new version" - Do they mean "new" like Crystal was for Gold/Silver? Or do they mean "new" like Pokken was for X/Y? New doesn't have to mean that it's a 3rd version launch, it could just be a new spin off type. Personally I hope it's a 3rd person, open world game that allows us to go to each region. That would be a way to revitalize the spin off games into something awesome for me.

Also, by definition, rumors are the least reliable type of news. Period. Until I see something official, I have no desire to believe a simple rumor. Leaks are also suspect because you only have one source that you cannot verify. Again, I'm content to wait for more information.

I will reiterate that I don't feel the Switch is a handheld console, it is a mobile console. The biggest question will be does GF/TPCI want the Pokémon core games to continue to focus on handhelds.

Couple of things with that:
"A new version" - Do they mean "new" like Crystal was for Gold/Silver? Or do they mean "new" like Pokken was for X/Y? New doesn't have to mean that it's a 3rd version launch, it could just be a new spin off type. Personally I hope it's a 3rd person, open world game that allows us to go to each region. That would be a way to revitalize the spin off games into something awesome for me.

Also, by definition, rumors are the least reliable type of news. Period. Until I see something official, I have no desire to believe a simple rumor. Leaks are also suspect because you only have one source that you cannot verify. Again, I'm content to wait for more information.

I will reiterate that I don't feel the Switch is a handheld console, it is a mobile console. The biggest question will be does GF/TPCI want the Pokémon core games to continue to focus on handhelds.

1. Is it a third person open world game which allows us to go to each region, then it won't be a 'new' version of Sun and Moon.
It was specifically compared with Sun and Moon, it was said that it is a new version to Sun and Moon. I doubt a new version of a main game will be a spin-off, specially since GF dosen't develop Spin offs.
2. Also, according to you, what will happen if Switch merges the handheld and console markets with Switch? TPCi won't have any choice and will have to develop for Switch. Since appearentlu there is no handheld successor is in line, I think this is the case.

Back
Top Bottom