• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Dukane Region

Kelleo

Secret Sword of Justice
Reaction score
So, awhile back, I came up with an idea I thought would be cool for another Pokemon region, but never really went beyond the name, theme, and real-world location it's based on. Recently, however, I decided to put some more work into it. It's called the Dukane Region. I decided to make this separate from my art thread because it will be continuously updated. Anyway, I'll start with basic information.

Game Titles: Pokemon Forest Version, Pokemon Blaze Version, Pokemon Ocean Version (all three would be released at once and the starters' final forms would be the mascots)

Based On: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US (the city I'm from. I think it would make a fine base for a region. Plus, I know more about this place than any other. lol)

Theme: Geology/Earth’s history

New Type: Light

Light is strong against: Dark, Water, Dragon, Ghost

Light is weak against: Psychic, Grass, Poison, Fairy

Light is resistant to: Light, Fire, Water, Dragon, Ghost

Light is immune to: Dark

Cities/Towns: Chromine Town, Nickallo City, Copperton City, Alumina Town, Coballia City, Potassau City, Soden Town, Platinu City, Mangalo City, Lithville Town, Irono City, Zircon City, Tinoa Town, Silver City, Magneia City, Calcic Town, Zinco Town

Each city and town is named for a metal. You guess which is named for which. Some should be obvious. ;) The reason for this is that Pittsburgh was once the largest producer of steel in the country. It's still known as the Steel City today.

Map: Here's a (sort of) gen 5-style map of the region. It isn't quite complete though. But most of it is done. (And yes, I'm aware I forgot to label routes 129 and 130. xP)

Dukanemap_zpsdc6207ae.png

Many of the locations draw parallels to real-world places in the Pittsburgh area. I haven't come up with details for every place yet, but I'll explain what I've got.

Chromine Town - This is the starting town. Its real-world equivalent is Lincoln Place, the neighborhood I lived in when I was little. Its name is also a reference to another game outside the Pokemon series. Those who have played it should know what it is. lol

Alumina Town - This little town has a library and Pokemon trainer school. Its real-world equivalent is Munhall, a borough in the Pittsburgh area. It actually has a library as well.

Nickallo City - This city was once a factory and mill-based town, but the factories had made the area so polluted that they had to be torn down. It's now the location of an indoor water park and water type gym. Its real-world equivalent is Sandcastle Waterpark as well as the Waterfront.

Abandoned Mill - The only remaining mill of the ones that had been torn down along the river here. It was kept as a historic landmark and is home to many steel and electric type Pokemon. There are actually remains of an old steel mill located roughly in this area in Pittsburgh too.

Copine Square - Serves the same purpose as Amity Square in gen 4. Copine is another word that means "friend." Its real-world equivalent is the Doggie Park.

Mangalo City - This is a nature preserve and garden town. It's also home to the Safari Zone. Its real-world equivalent is the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.

Copperton City - The largest city in the region. It has the Contest Hall, Battle Institute, a skating rink where you can also find battles, a department store, and more. Its real-world equivalent is downtown Pittsburgh and even has a building that resembles the PPG Building (a tall glass building with little towers at the top).

Entralink - Basically the same as in gen 5, only it looks a little different. Its real-world equivalent is Point State Park.

Geological Dig Site - A public digging site and park where people can look at ancient rock formations, minerals, fossils, and even try their hand at digging up their own rocks. Real world-equivalent is the Carnegie Mellon Museum of Natural History.

Alleny Mine - A large mine where workers are digging up resources. Its name comes from "Allegheny," the name of the county Pittsburgh is in. It's also the name of one of the three rivers.

Molten Cave/Earthen Grove/Coral Lake - The location in this area depends on the version being played. Molten Cave appears here in Blaze Version, Earthen Grove in Forest Version, and Coral Lake in Ocean Version. In order to access all three in one version, the player would have to use the key system. Each location is home to a legendary Pokemon.

Shining Tower - This ancient and beautiful tower was built in tribute to the main legendary of this region and the master of the legendary Pokemon found in Molten Cave, Earthen Grove, and Coral Lake.

Silver City - This is a city that would only be accessible after the main story. It has the region's airport, which would be used to visit the Unova region. Its real-world equivalent is the Pittsburgh International Airport, though it's not in exactly the same spot. The Pittsburgh Airport is actually further west. xP

Steel Tunnel - A tunnel that makes travel through this mountainous area a bit easier. Its real-world equivalent is Fort Pitt Tunnel.

Floral Shrine - A mysterious yet beautiful place that's said to be the home of a mythical fairy-like Pokemon...

Dragon Forest/Dragon Clearing - A forest that's said to be the home of a dragon and plant-like mythical Pokemon.

Spooky House - A long time ago, during Halloween, my stepbrothers and I saw a really old and creepy-looking house in our neighborhood. So I thought why not throw in such a house on this map? lol As you might have guessed, lots of ghost type Pokemon live there. Dark type Pokemon do too.

Pokewood Park - This is another area that can't be accessed until after the main story is complete. But it's a really awesome place! It's a Pokemon theme park with lots of games to play, rides to ride, and battles to battle! You'll win rare items and stuff if you win the games, and you can ride a ferris wheel, roller coaster, carousel, and boat ride. You can battle while on the boat ride. The Battle Coaster works much like the Nimbasa Gym in Pokemon BW. You can ride the rides and play the games as much as you want, but you can only battle everyone in the park once a day. Its real-world equivalent is none other than Kennywood Park, which is an amusement park!

And that's all I have right now.

Gyms:

CityGymtable_zps79496eef.png

Pokemon League:

Pokemonleaguetable_zpsc8fb155b.png

(the teams section is blank cause I don't have a full dex for the region yet)

Antagonistic Teams: This region would have two villainous teams like gen 3 did. Team Tropic and Team Arctic. The former's goal is to make the climate warmer while the latter's is to make it cooler. They're both after the legendary Pokemon needed to do such a thing and the player has to save them. They'll try to use these Pokemon to bring Regasus forth as well and use it to complete their plans. After the player stops them, they can catch Regasus and two of the other four legendaries that were involved. The others would require the key system or trading in order to obtain.

I also have a few Pokemon drawn, namely starters and one legendary. You may remember them from my art thread:

fan_starter_pokemon_by_great_aether-d4s9g05.png

Grass type is Tawnog, fire type is Kinder, water type is Hippa. Info here.

fan_pokemon__regasus_by_great_aether-d3bd3ke.png

Light and flying type Regasus. The main legendary.

A new evolution stone would be introduced as well, the Rainbow Stone. I've got a pic of it somewhere as well, but I need to do a little digging to find it.

I don't have much of a Pokedex for this region yet, but I've decided there will be 192 total Pokemon in it, including event legendaries. There will also be more new fossil Pokemon than any other existing region has introduced. Here's what it has so far:

Dukane Pokedex

#001: Tawnog (Grass)
#002: Hograss (Grass/Normal)
#003: Punxaton (Grass/Normal)
#004: Kinder (Fire)
#005: Ignihorn (Fire/Psychic)
#006: Flaries (Fire/Psychic)
#007: Hippa (Water)
#008: Drippotta (Water/Fighting)
#009: Hydrotamus (Water/Fighting)
#010: Scorchant (Fire/Bug)
#011: Pyrant (Fire/Bug)
#012: Furacc (Normal)
#013: Burcoon (Normal/Dark)
#014: Chirjay (Normal/Flying)
#015: Jaybleue (Normal/Flying)
#016: Jayzure (Normal/Flying)
#017: Volunny (Electric)
#018: Harectric (Elecric)
#019: Pansage (Grass)
#020: Simisage (Grass)
#021: Pansear (Fire)
#022: Simisear (Fire)
#023: Panpour (Water)
#024: Simipour (Water)
#183: Pseudo Legendary Stage 1 (Dragon/Fairy)
#184: Pseudo Legendary Stage 2 (Dragon/Fairy)
#185: Pseudo Legendary Stage 3 (Dragon/Fairy)
#186: Mosarain (Water/Dragon)
#187: Ground/Grass legendary
#188: Fire/Electric legendary
#189: Flying/Ice legendary
#190: Regasus (Light/Flying)
#191: Event Fairy legendary
#192: Event Grass/Dragon legendary

And finally, that is all I have on this region so far. xP I'd like to add either a Battle Frontier or Battle Subway to the region. But I dunno which one yet.

Last edited:
Wow, looks good, and it's so detailed! I like that there are lots of towns. The fairy type match-up seems a little weird, but then the effectiveness of the existing types doesn't make all that much sense sometimes. I notice you forgot one thing though: O_O Who is the pokemon professor?

Ah, thanks. ^^

And I actually haven't come up with the Pokemon professor yet. xP

Ah, but I think I have a name now! She'll be a female named Professor Maple. That is a type of tree, I believe. lol

Also, here's that Rainbow Stone!

RainbowStone_zps45384c55.png

Styled like the Dream World pics of the evolution stones. It's the rarest of all evolution stones and was created by Regasus itself to help weaker Pokemon attain the strength the survive. It can also warrant a new Eeveelution, Illumeon, the light type evolution. I also plan to add a dragon type one. I will do a fairy type one as well, but only if Sylveon doesn't turn out to be that type. Haha.

Well, you know what this means: you have to write a pokemon fanfiction now.

Well, I would consider it, except I've got a few other stories in progress already. xP

Not to mention I was already planning on doing a Pokemon/My Little Pony crossover that had nothing to do with this fan region as well.

Does no one find my region interesting at all? D: Eh, oh well. I'm sure at least some do, they just haven't said anything. lol

Anyway, update! I finally decided to make some evolutions for one of those starters, namely Tawnog!

fan_starter_evolutions___tawnog_by_great_aether-d63ubn2.png

The designs don't show it, but both have three leaf/branch tails. I just hope they don't look too much like I fused Quilava with Grovyle and Typhlosion with Sceptile. ._.

Anyway, upon evolving, Tawnog gains the Normal type. And unlike most of the other grass starter lines we've seen, this one is the fast and strong of the trio. They are fast like Infernape or Floatzel fast and have both high attack and special attack. But also like Infernape, their defenses kinda stink. But Hograss and Punxaton also have a great movepool compared to past grass starter lines, able to use not only common grass moves like Razor Leaf, Leaf Blade, Solarbeam, Leaf Storm, etc., but also nearly any move that uses claws (like Scratch, Fury Swipes, Crush Claw, Metal Claw, Shadow Claw, etc.) and moves like Super Fang, Hyper Fang, Bite, and Crunch as well because of its highly developed front teeth. They can also use a brand new Grass type move I came up with for them, called Energy Fang. It works like Drain Punch, only using teeth instead of a fist.

Oh, and Tawnog's line also learns Dig, naturally. Helps with type coverage (kind of) as well. And of course, they can get other Normal type moves like Hyper Beam, Swift, Double-Edge, and more. Not all of the moves I've mentioned are level-up, of course, but some are.

EDIT: Also, here's a list of Pokemon that would gain the Light type or gain the Fairy type.

Light
Illumise
Volbeat
Ampharos
Cresselia

Fairy
Clefairy
Clefable
Snubbull
Granbull

Also, moves that would become Light type are Flash, Flash Cannon, Light Screen, Moonlight, and Tail Glow. Moves that would become Fairy type are Sing, Lucky Chant, Wish, Healing Wish, and Echoed Voice.

Last edited:
Okay, I think it's high time I revived this! More starter evolutions! ^^ I have a tablet now too, so my art might start looking a little different. :p

starter_evolutions__ignihorn_and_drippotta_by_great_aether-d7818se.png

Full description here. :)

Sorry for leaving this hanging for awhile, but I've added more Pokemon to the Pokedex, including the regional rodent, regional bird, a bug line, and electric rodent (the equivalent to Pikachu and such). The elemental monkeys also appear in this Pokedex as version exclusives. Pansage and Simisage are exclusive to Forest Version, Pansear and Simisear are only found in Blaze Version, and Panpour and Simipour in Ocean Version.

Scorchant and Pyrant are based off of fire ants, of course.

Furacc and Burcoon are based off of raccoons, which like roaming around at night and getting into people's garbage, so I thought the Dark type was fitting for the evolution. :p

The Chirjay line is based off of the bluejay and is also named after a friend of mine named Jay. lol

Volunny and Harectric are electric rabbits whose ears function like antennas to send absorbed electricity to their cheek pouches.

And that's all for now. ^^

Ok for this pokemon game when is the realease date so its coming soon maybe

(y)

BTW nice work on this i like the towns the evil teams team arctic and team tropic are good names and the starters are Sooo cute and i like the titles pokemon forest,blaze and ocean i like the sound of that i cant wait for this pokemon fanmade game is it on computer or pc

:LOL:Yay

RainbowStone_zps45384c55.png
The rainbow stone looks cute if the picture ia on thia comment i copy and pasted the picture on this comment

Sorry if i typed the comment wrong my keyboard on my phone is broken

Btw keleo your awesome at making this pokemon game your cool!(y):p

That's awesome! I second the fan fiction idea. :) Great job world building.

Back
Top Bottom