• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The First Starter You've Picked For Each Generation?

Generation I - Pikachu (I've only played Yellow)
Generation II - Cyndaquil
Generation III - Torchic
Generation IV - Turtwig
Generation V - Oshawott
Generation VI - Froakie
Never actually played the Generation VII - VIII.

1. Squirtle
2. Chikorita
3. Mudkip
4. Piplup
5. Oshawott
6. Chespin
7. Rowlet
8. Sobble

And now I see I’ve never picked a fire starter first. Maybe Fuecoco this time?

Edit: the closest I came to picking a fire starter first was Torchic in Sapphire but seeing Roxanne’s gym was first led me to change my mind.

I - Squirtle
II - Totodile
III - Treecko, I think. Nowadays I usually get Mudkip.
IV - Turtwig
V - Snivy
VI - Froakie
VII - Popplio
VIII - Sobble

2: cyndaquil
3: either torchic or treecko
4: piplup
5: oshawott
6: fennekin or froakie

that's all I've played

Bulbasaur -Leafgreen, never played actual gen 1 games.
Totadile - Gold + Heartgold
Mudkip - Sapphire + Omega Ruby
Turtwig - Platinum
Oshawott - White + Black 2
Chespin - X
Rowlet - Moon + U Sun
Grookey - Sword
Rowlet - Arceus

My memory is trash but I'll try.

Gen 1 - Pikachu (only played Pokémon Yellow)
Gen 2 - Chikorita (SoulSilver playthrough)
Gen 3 - Can't remember what I did with my OmegaRuby playthrough
Gen 4 - Turtwig
Gen 5 - Tepig
Gen 6 - I thiiiiiiiiiink I went with Froakie

Can't remember what I chose for the next gen, and I never played anything past the 3DS era. Technically my first ever Pokémon would be Plusle from Pokémon Ranger, but that doesn't really count.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur
Gen 2: Cyndaquil
Gen 3: Mudkip
Gen 4: Chimchar
Gen 5: Tepig
Gen 6: Froakie
Gen 7: Popplio
Gen 8: Sobble

That makes 1 Grass, 3 Fire, and 4 Water. Time has largely put out the flames though, as nowadays I prefer Turtwig and Oshawott over Chimchar and Tepig. Froakie has also lost out to Chespin once my dislike of Greninja happened.
Thus we have 3 Grass, 1 Fire, and 4 Water when we consider how my tastes developed.

firered: charmander
heartgold: cyndaquil
sapphire: torchic
pearl: chimchar
white: tepig
x: chespin
sun: popplio
shield: sobble
scarlet: fuecoco

by the time pokemon x and y were coming out i realized that my starters had always been fire type so i became determined to keep the tradition, but chespin ended up winning my heart against the odds. charmander, cyndaquil, chimchar, and maybe tepig (very hard for me to choose between it and snivy...) are the only ones that aren't my favorite starters of each game anymore.

In the order I played them through.
The first two have been an iconic thing of my online themes for years.
Gen 3 : Torchic
Gen 1: Squirtle
Gen 2: Chikorita (baaad idea, little did I know back then: but it did lead to an overleveled grindy starter, so OK)
Gen 4: Piplup
Gen 5: Tepig
Gen 6: Chespin (I did get spoilers there are Charizard and Lapras available later. Failed to consider that it shares a type with Lucario anyway...)
Gen 7: Rowlet

*these days I consider Treecko, Charmander, Cyndaquil and Turtwig the most fitting ones for their protagonists tho

Well, when I first picked my starters…

Gen 1: Charmander (LeafGreen; I…didn’t play RBG) and Eevee (LGE…also didn’t play Yellow)

Gen 2: Totodile (HG; I don’t think I had Crystal at that time yet, when I did get it, I still chose the same starter, Crystal has no remake, right?)

Gen 3: Torchic (AS; anime reasons; I didn’t play RSE…)

Gen 4: Piplup (Pearl; same as Torchic)

Gen 5: Tepig (Black; because I liked it the most)

Gen 6: Fennekin (X; anime)

Gen 7: Popplio (Moon; anime)

Gen 8: Sobble (Shield; because the crying)

Gen 9: Sprigatito (Scarlet; cat)

Kanto: nyever actually played any of the Kanto games, but I DID always pick Bulbasaur when Sycamore gives you a Kanto starter in X and Y. Syo I guess Bulbasaur.
Johto: Totodile.
Hoenn: Mudkip.
Sinnoh: Piplup.
Unova: Oshawott. (Though I DID choose Tepig in a Pokemon fangame I played on Roblox like 4 years before I ever actually played a Unova game...)
Kalos: Fennekin.
Alola: Popplio.
Galar: Sobble.
Paldea: Sprigatito.
...I think I might have a bias towards water types... (I even almost picked Quaxly in Scarlet before thinking about it and deciding I liked Sprigatito more, and when I was younger I would almost always pick Froakie in replays of X and Y.)

Kanto: nyever actually played any of the Kanto games, but I DID always pick Bulbasaur when Sycamore gives you a Kanto starter in X and Y. Syo I guess Bulbasaur.
Johto: Totodile.
Hoenn: Mudkip.
Sinnoh: Piplup.
Unova: Oshawott. (Though I DID choose Tepig in a Pokemon fangame I played on Roblox like 4 years before I ever actually played a Unova game...)
Kalos: Fennekin.
Alola: Popplio.
Galar: Sobble.
Paldea: Sprigatito.
Literally most of these I also got haha
...I think I might have a bias towards water types... (I even almost picked Quaxly in Scarlet before thinking about it and deciding I liked Sprigatito more, and when I was younger I would almost always pick Froakie in replays of X and Y.)
I picked Froakie TWICE and only the latter time I got a Greninja (not Ash-Greninja obvi), I still have it

Back
Top Bottom