• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don't think D/P need remakes yet. Remakes are mostly needed because hardware has become too advanced to play the past games, or the past games had fallen behind so much that they required remakes for anyone to play them or experience them. It also has to do with demand. Hoenn remakes were in high demand, so of course Game Freak took this opportunity to remake them to make more money. People just don't seem to be interested in D/P remakes, and honestly, the 3DS can still play DS games, so it's not like the hardware has become too advanced for it. I just don't see it happening.

Just wait. 5 years from now people will be equally as rabid for DP remakes as they were for ORAS. And HGSS before that.

Honestly, I don't think D/P need remakes yet. Remakes are mostly needed because hardware has become too advanced to play the past games, or the past games had fallen behind so much that they required remakes for anyone to play them or experience them. It also has to do with demand. Hoenn remakes were in high demand, so of course Game Freak took this opportunity to remake them to make more money. People just don't seem to be interested in D/P remakes, and honestly, the 3DS can still play DS games, so it's not like the hardware has become too advanced for it. I just don't see it happening.

Pokebank already isn't compatible with Gen IV, but conveniently there's plenty of commonly used stuff that you can only get there. GameFreak knows that nobody's going to go out and try to find a copy of D/P/Pt/HG/SS to trade to B/W/B2/W2 and then to Bank. So by slowly phasing it out they can work their way up to a remake and make more guaranteed money.

I think its too soon for remakes of D/P/PT right now, you can still play them on the 3DS with backward compatibility, I would wait a gen or two for it. However, if remakes were made I would love to see an expansion of the story and mythology in the game, maybe incorporate Arceus more into the main plot. Also another thing is that I really, really, really wish there would be less roaming legendaries to catch or make them easier to battle at least, its always such a pain to get them and there are way too many in those games.

Why do people always keep assuming that the existence of this topic implies that DP remakes will happen on the 3DS?

Why do people always keep assuming that the existence of this topic implies that DP remakes will happen on the 3DS?

I don't see it happening on the WiiU.

We don't know what Nintendo's next handheld consoles are like, so we're assuming them to be on the 3DS. If we knew what the next handheld is like of course we'd be speculating DPPt remakes based on the future handheld. But none has been announced so far.

We don't know what Nintendo's next handheld consoles are like, so we're assuming them to be on the 3DS. If we knew what the next handheld is like of course we'd be speculating DPPt remakes based on the future handheld. But none has been announced so far.

It's ridiculous to assume that it would be on any existing handheld, though. Remakes have always been released two generations after the originals, when the games are no longer playable and severely outdated. There'd be very little benefit to having it on the 3DS, there hasn't been enough time or advances in graphics or gameplay for a remake to feel fresh.

It's ridiculous to assume that it would be on any existing handheld, though. Remakes have always been released two generations after the originals, when the games are no longer playable and severely outdated. There'd be very little benefit to having it on the 3DS, there hasn't been enough time or advances in graphics or gameplay for a remake to feel fresh.

Yes.

So how are we supposed to speculate not knowing what the next handheld is like?

Yes.

So how are we supposed to speculate not knowing what the next handheld is like?

By going on what we know is possible.

For instance, the introduction of Mega Evolutions and their subsequent inclusion in ORAS tells us that DP remakes will likely feature some kind of enhanced Mega Evolutions for Dialga and Palkia (maybe Primal forms, maybe something similar but with a different name).

Just a few posts ago I was talking about potential dex expansions too.

I think there will be a remake but it depends what you think it will be like. Platinum is awesome as it is and Cyrus swore vengeance in it before staying in the distortion world (yes he's still alive it's only the anime that killed him) so I'd imagine a sequel is more likely then a remake.

As for when it will happen, maybe on the next handheld console? Or in gen 7 (if there is going to be a gen 7).

I think there will be a remake but it depends what you think it will be like. Platinum is awesome as it is and Cyrus swore vengeance in it before staying in the distortion world (yes he's still alive it's only the anime that killed him) so I'd imagine a sequel is more likely then a remake.

As for when it will happen, maybe on the next handheld console? Or in gen 7 (if there is going to be a gen 7).

I think the issue with a sequel is that most people will probably want to play the first game first. So if you release DP2 on the next gen handheld, a lot of the younger fans will feel like they're missing out on the originals. I think the only way this would work is through some kind of bundle deal where you can get both the first game and its sequel, and that's something I don't think Game Freak will be willing to do at this point.

I can't really see a remake till like 2018

Certainly it feels way too early to get a Gen 4 remake. The problem is that it came out for the DS, which is the NHC directly prior to the current one, the 3DS. I wouldn't see a point to it.

Keep in mind that Nintendo shut down the GTS WiFi servers for Gen IV and V back in May. Gen V games can still Pokebank, but Gen IV has pretty much no non-local multiplayer function now. So even though the current system can still run the game, it's limited as to what all you can do on it. Remakes might come sooner than you think.

Keep in mind that Nintendo shut down the GTS WiFi servers for Gen IV and V back in May. Gen V games can still Pokebank, but Gen IV has pretty much no non-local multiplayer function now. So even though the current system can still run the game, it's limited as to what all you can do on it. Remakes might come sooner than you think.
That has no bearing on when remakes should be released. There were no online features in Generation III and yet the gap between HGSS and ORAS' release dates is five years. Besides, the Generation IV games still have perfectly functional local wireless features.

Also note that by your logic HGSS and the Unova games should also be remade sooner rather than later. And what about the Kanto games which never had online features?

That has no bearing on when remakes should be released. There were no online features in Generation III and yet the gap between HGSS and ORAS' release dates is five years. Besides, the Generation IV games still have perfectly functional local wireless features.

Also note that by your logic HGSS and the Unova games should also be remade sooner rather than later. And what about the Kanto games which never had online features?
The Gen I games were remade in Gen III after they were no longer directly compatibile with the newest generation. Gen II remakes, of course, came during the next generation. The Gen III games were directly compatible with the first couple DS systems through the GBA slot. They started development on the remakes shortly after the DSi and 3DS took off, which got rid of that slot. It's possible something similar will happen with Gen IV next generation.

They started development on the remakes shortly after the DSi and 3DS took off, which got rid of that slot. It's possible something similar will happen with Gen IV next generation.
All I'm saying is that the Wi-Fi argument is pretty irrelevant.

Thus far the only two changes I could think of, in order from least to greatest in terms of desirability, is improving somewhat on the Galactic arc and doing a role swap with Barry and Lucas/Dawn (i.e.: make Barry the secondary rival and the opposite gender character the primary). There are quite a few reasons why I'd like the latter to happen so I won't put them all into this post (I'll probably do another one that goes into detail). That being said, I think the most understandable is it will create a balance between gens that had a unique character as your rival and ones where you fight whatever player character you haven't chosen. As stated above there were many more reasons behind this but I couldn't put them in this post or else I would be here for a while, bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom