1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

The Generation IV Remake Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Video Games' started by Joshawott, Jan 1, 2014.

Voter count: 103
?

Do you think there will be remakes this year?

1. Yes, there will be a remake of Diamond/Pearl.

51.5%
  2. Yes, there will be a remake of Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen.

4.9%
  3. No, we will likely have another hiatus in 2017.

43.7%
  1. Tigertot

Tigertot New Member

Blog Posts:
    I've been lurking for a while, but it's time for my take on this:
    Game Freak did a recent hiring stating that they were looking for developers to animate 3D creature models, and also have hiring going on for a new RPG game, which is probably a main series Pokemon game. We also have walking animations for all 802 Pokemon, and those would be used for sure in one place.

Amity Square.

Also, I do think they should finish Gen 7 on the 3DS, and then kickstart Gen 8 with a bang on the Switch. Gen 5 was still on the 3DS, and they were fine. Splitting up a gen is a bad idea for sales, as many people may not want to buy a whole new console just to play Pokemon (though people did do that for Zelda).

All the evidence is leading up to a Sinnoh remake. Even the fact that there's only two new Mythicals in the Gen 7 Pokedex shows us that they will need some Mythicals to fill in the gaps, and Sinnoh had plenty.

2. FlowerMagician

FlowerMagician Blooming...

Blog Posts:
    I hope that we see a Sinnoh remake soon, but soon meaning in 2019 or 2020. The time doesn't feel right for them now. It would be better if they arrived in the Switch-era of Gen 8 and after the initial pair. Imagine the HD experience!

Bolt the Cat likes this.
  3. Tigertot

Tigertot New Member

Blog Posts:
    There's no real reason to split a generation between two consoles. It's a horrible business decision since you'll be relying on people who are willing to buy a whole new console just to play Pokemon.

Bolt the Cat likes this.
  4. Soki

Soki Beep Boop

Blog Posts:
    Making all those models was a lot of work, with unique walking and running animations and all that. It would be a huge waste of effort to only use them in Amity Square, it makes more sense if Pokémon will be able to follow you through the whole game again. Though with Amity Square being a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the DPPt remakes are the game in which we're getting that again. One can only hope they will actually keep it in future games this time then too...

They will have to do that at some point anyway. Why does it matter if it happens in gen 7 or in gen 8?

And Pokémon isn't the only game on the Switch, like you said: a lot of people bought the thing to play Zelda for one and a lot of people will do it for Splatoon 2 too. This thing has been sold a lot already, they aren't relying on people willing to buy it only for Pokémon at all. They are relying on people who've already bought it and want to play Pokémon on it. And those won't be just a few people.

PkmnTrainerV likes this.
  5. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

Blog Posts:
    Because new generations sell better and are much better at capitalizing on the Switch's popularity? Because they have more flexibility with new graphical engines and gameplay mechanics designed from the ground up for the Switch? Because putting 7th gen on a new console is an incredibly awkward transition and defeats the purpose of having 7th gen debut on 3DS in the first place?

Meta Boss likes this.
  6. PkmnTrainerV

PkmnTrainerV Flame Trainer

Blog Posts:
    Can you please give me the definition of a generation?

What if SM was never meant to be a complete generation? We haven't got the official definition of a generation anywhere. Nor do the developers mention generations.

What if SM was meant to be a single project? What if they wanted to make SM anniversary games, and get to the Switch early? SM could easily be a Gen 7, and the games on the Switch Gen 7.5.

GF dosen't care about a Generation No. each game is a single project for them.

Kyriaki and Soki like this.
  7. QueenEevee

QueenEevee Member

Blog Posts:
    Let's not forget that by the time Gen VIII comes, it's likely that the Switch would have received a price cut.

8. Bolt the Cat

Blog Posts:
    The definition of a generation has little to do with this. What matters is how they're designing the game. If they're making another Gen 7 game, they probably won't be creating a new engine for it. It'll probably just be SM's engine with a few tweaks. And that's not going to draw a lot of people to the Switch regardless of if they call it Gen 7 or Gen 7.5 or whatever.

Anyway, this is starting to get off topic. Back to DP, the best approach would be a custom built engine. The updated graphics would help it look like a significant leap over the original and open up even more for the gameplay if they wait.

9. Tigertot

Tigertot New Member

Blog Posts:
    Here's everything I want:
    -Platinum as the template.
    -Aether Foundation scientists in Sinnoh conducting research.
    -Tribute to Iwata in Jubilife.
    -Battle Frontier.
    -Mega Evolutions for the Sinnoh starters and other Pokemon. Would make sense since Professor Rowan studies evolution.
    -Underground revamp, including the placement of some Z-Crystals and Mega Stones there.
    -More Poketch apps.
    -Post-game Platinum Episode with Giratina.
    -Actual events for Mythicals.
    -Legendaries from past gens obtainable.
    -Regigigas lore expanded upon.
    -Better contests.

Nicolas721 and shemar corbin like this.
  10. Nitro Indigo

Nitro Indigo But surely there was a dream...

Blog Posts:
    No offence, PkmnTrainerV, but you're getting insistent.

Here's everything I want from DP remakes, or Stars, or whatever the next game/s is/are:

Also, in these theoretical remakes, do you think they'll update the region design? After playing Sun, the Hoenn of ORAS looks oddly square.

Tigertot likes this.
  11. Meta Boss

Meta Boss The True Champ!

Blog Posts:
    Beautifully square*, you mean. ;)

I just love the old school, blocky, square Pokemon regions. If they hadn´t kept the squary design of RSE Hoenn in ORAS, it wouldn´t have felt like the real Hoenn anymore.

I don´t know how will they procede for Sinnoh though. They will have to redesign it a lot more I think, because the SM engine is gridless.

#1391 Meta Boss, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Kyriaki likes this.
  12. Bolt the Cat

Blog Posts:
    How they handle the grid based design is an interesting question for sure. I don't think they'll do too much with it, it'd be too much risk for too little benefit, but they'll probably let the player move grid free and maybe a few other little touches.

13. PkmnTrainerV

Blog Posts:
    My Wishlist for Sinnoh Remakes-
    1. A form-focused game, introducing forms for legendary Pokemon. The original Sinnoh games were form- and 'cross-evolution' focused too, so it makes sense.
    2. Megas for the iconic Pokemon of Sinnoh, a la Starters, and Staraptor, among others. Megas for the Johto Starters too.
    3. 'Sinnoh-Forms', showing how Johto, Hoenn, Kalos, Unova Pokemon adapted to Sinnoh.
    4. More fire type lines.
    5. Silvally-Arceus subplot.
    4. Relation between Ultra Beasts, Distortion World, and Ultra Space explained.
    5. Exclusive Z-Crystal for Victini... (since they decided to go with Mew the first time, I chose Victini since it's my favourite, but Celebi is more likely).

QueenEevee and shemar corbin like this.
  14. Nitro Indigo

Blog Posts:
    3. Maybe not Johto and Hoenn, because Game Freak don't like doing retcons, but other than that, I agree.
    4. Platinum...

#1394 Nitro Indigo, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    QueenEevee likes this.
  15. PkmnTrainerV

Blog Posts:
    3. Well, since Kanto got most of the spotlight in the forms department, I honk that Johto can get some too in Sinnoh.
    4. I may be biased becuase I'm a fire-type lover, but wouldn't it be a bit ironic that the main games known for less amount of fire types now have a lot of them?

16. Bolt the Cat

Blog Posts:
    All right, here's my wish list:

1. Keep Platinum's Sinnoh Dex
    2. Distribute the Pokeradar during the main storyline and have it work like the Dexnav
    3. National Dex Pokemon can be found in the main game using the Pokeradar
    4. Agreed that the starters still need Megas or some other type of power boost, other than that I don't care if they do Megas or regional variants or what
    5. New forms for Dialga and Palkia
    6. Post game story arc involving Giratina, the Distortion World, and Arceus
    7. Storyline connection between DP and SM's elements, particularly Ultra Space and Type:Null/Silvally
    8. You can now connect with people online in the Underground.
    9. Make the lesser Regis accessible in game without an event.
    10. A few other legendaries and Ultra Beasts catchable post game.
    11. Revamp Honey Trees in some way to make it less annoying to use.
    12. Replace HMs with Poke Ride.
    13. Some type of battle facility that isn't a generic Tower/Subway/Maison facility if not a full Battle Frontier

17. shemar corbin

shemar corbin Member

Blog Posts:
    1. That could work, it's better than DP pokedex
    2. It probably would be a post-game for Pokeradar
    3. They always have the national pokedex in the post-game
    4. We do need new megas for the starters and other pokemons, also we do need sinnoh form too
    5. Maybe Primal Formes, or maybe new forms
    6. Platinum Episodes sounds like a good idea, involving Giratina, Team Galactic, Distortion World and Arceus
    7. They do connect, like the Distortion World and Ultra Space story, along with Arceus and Type:Nul
    8. I hope they have better online connection for DP remake
    9. True, It would be a lot easier to access them
    10. Just like Pokemon ORAS
    11. I hope they can do that too
    12. The HMs should stay gone, Pokeride are better
    13. Let's see what Gamefreak might come up with

QueenEevee likes this.
  18. SpikOriundo

SpikOriundo Member

Blog Posts:
    It will be a whole new facility. It will be called "Battle Underground", and it's exactly like the Battle Tower in reality, but instead of going up you go down every battle.
    And I unfortunately see this happening.

Ereshkigal, Tigertot and QueenEevee like this.
  19. Nitro Indigo

Blog Posts:
    To be honest here, one of my concerns about Sun and Moon is that there as so many Pokémon tied to the plot or the region (the Ultra Beasts, the Cosmos, Type: Null and Silvally, the Tapus) that I'm worried Game Freak will have to shoehorn them into later generations.

Also, since it's/they're one/a set of the most popular spinoff/s, how about a reference to Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers? It could be something as minor as, say, having a double trainer battle against a Wigglytuff and a Chatot.

Ereshkigal likes this.
  20. Tigertot

Tigertot New Member

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to see a tribute to Iwata in Jubilife since it's based on Sapporo in Japan, where Iwata is from.