• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is dual screen essential to apps? Sorry, I haven't played Diamond and Pearl and don't know if dual screen is needed for them.

I don't think they are, but the poketch was made to capitalize on the DS' touchscreen, and the convenience of information in certain apps. Its not a necessity (except for the pedometer, but but I have feeling that will be the first to go since nothing adheres to a grid anymore, leaving a chance for error, and the daycare checker, which I don't think GF would prioritize unless they think people that want to grab their eggs the second they spawn are a majority), but it is more of a convenience.

Actually now that I think of it, the 2nd generations for the DS and 3DS seem to have the 2nd screen be less useful then their predecessors. D/P poketch had several uses which allowed it some utility, the C-Gear in contrast was limited to if you wanted to connect with others or the PGL, X/Y introduced 3 features for the touchscreen, including the PSS. while OR/AS added Dexnav on top of those, but Sun and Moon have only a map and only one of those features from 6, which now had to be accessed from the main menu.

In terms of the essentially of dual screens, the Poketch can survive in the same manner as refresh, but judging from people's reactions to Festival Plaza, online connectivity was at its most streamlined when using the second screen. DexNav could survive by making it a Pokeradar, but would either have a similar QoL issue or has to remove what made it better than the pokewalker in the first place (viewing of start at a certain level, abilities, items, level and most importantly the ability to choose what pokemon to chain). Refresh is already shunted to a Main Menu option and would only be a problem in the case of the Switch being docked (though the Joycons could be used like Wiimotes to circumvent that, but it might cause a different feel), Super Training does not need the dual screen at all but that's a moot point because I don't think that's coming back.

Last edited:
I feel that most people are forgetting that Switch has a touchscreen, so any touch applications will work there, too. And in the docked/tabletop mode, the JoyCons can become like WiiMotes.

I feel that most people are forgetting that Switch has a touchscreen, so any touch applications will work there, too. And in the docked/tabletop mode, the JoyCons can become like WiiMotes.

It's not just about the touch screen, it's about being able to see the information while you're playing. The pedometer and the counter for example are really only useful if you can see and use them while playing. Same goes for if the Poké Radar returns in form of the Dexnav.

Most of the other apps could work just fine by having to press a button first, and they can maybe find a way to show the apps named above in a single screen, so a second screen is not really a necessity, but it would definitely be more convenient and I would really miss it. The point of the Poketch was to be like a watch with features you could like at at any time.

It's not just about the touch screen, it's about being able to see the information while you're playing. The pedometer and the counter for example are really only useful if you can see and use them while playing. Same goes for if the Poké Radar returns in form of the Dexnav.

Most of the other apps could work just fine by having to press a button first, and they can maybe find a way to show the apps named above in a single screen, so a second screen is not really a necessity, but it would definitely be more convenient and I would really miss it. The point of the Poketch was to be like a watch with features you could like at at any time.

Maybe the apps could be squeezed in like this?
ipad-ios10-slide-over.jpg

Or a small window could be made on the bottom/above corner of the screen when these features are active?

Two screens dosent matter for apps in pokemon,the player could easily just have a cell phone brought up with the push of a button.

One thing I would like to see is the return of Defog, because as it stands, it is a very difficult move to give to Pokemon, and it's a very standard move in Singles! Mantine, for example, would benefit from Defog, but the problem is that it has to go through a long process to bring it over. In fact, simulators commonly use Defog as recommended moves, but it is actually a rare move in Generation 7 because not every Pokemon can learn it naturally.

Some are lucky to get it as Egg Moves, but they have no relatives to learn it. Seedot is one of the lucky Pokemon to be in the Field Egg Group, because at least it makes giving Fomantis that move more easily.

Thanks for reading.

Maybe as a TM, but I can't see them bringing it back as a field move, fog was never really an interesting obstacle and offered no real benefits in battle, it was just an annoyance.

For that matter, are they even going to bring back HMs in DP remakes or are they going to replace them with Poke Ride Pokemon? With all of the complaints about HMs in this series I'm not sure if they ever want to go back to HMs again, they could easily have Ride Pokemon take the roles of some of the more prominent HMs (Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Rock Climb, Waterfall).

Maybe as a TM, but I can't see them bringing it back as a field move, fog was never really an interesting obstacle and offered no real benefits in battle, it was just an annoyance.

For that matter, are they even going to bring back HMs in DP remakes or are they going to replace them with Poke Ride Pokemon? With all of the complaints about HMs in this series I'm not sure if they ever want to go back to HMs again, they could easily have Ride Pokemon take the roles of some of the more prominent HMs (Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Rock Climb, Waterfall).

Bibarel for everything! :p

I'm thinking more like this:

Kricketune- Cut
Drifblim- Fly
Bibarel- Surf
Machamp- Strength
Mamoswine- heavy snow (would be used on Rt. 217 and maybe also on Mt. Coronet)
Golem- Rock Climb
Floatzel- Waterfall

Not sure who would have Rock Smash.

Kricketune- Cut
I was thinking about Kricketune too, though it seems a bit hard to actually ride it, especially as it's only 1.0 meter high :p Maybe Drapion could work for this, can't really think of any other Sinnoh mon...

Drifblim- Fly
I'd just thought about Staraptor, but I really like this idea! We could sit on a chair hanging under it or something :D

Bibarel- Surf
100% agreed

Machamp- Strength

Please no :/ I'd rather see Bastiodon for this actually, which would fit as you can only use Strength after getting Byron's badge, who owns a Bastiodon.

Again 100% agreed, it would be great to use that instead of having to trudge through it yourself which took forever.

Golem- Rock Climb
I actually thought Luxray for this. Though it doesn't actually learn the move, it being based on a Lynx or Lion I could see it being used for climbing rocks. And I just want to keep non-Sinnoh mons to a minimum, especially Kanto mons.

Floatzel- Waterfall
Perfect.

If Bastiodon would get Strength, I'd like to see Rampardos getting Rock Smash, so there's no fossil favouritism going on. And it's quite fitting, as you get access to Rock Smash after fighting Roark, which has a Cranidos, so the Rampardos could be his too.

My HM list...

Surf: Buizel/Floatzel/Empoleon
Fly: Staraptor. it's the regional bird, after all!
Cut: Not sure.. maybe Gliscor?
Rock Smash: Rampardos
Waterfall p: Buizel/Floatzel
Rock Climb: Torterra/Grotle

I choose Garchomp for Rock Climb. It's rugged, part Ground-type so it suits the terrain, and is one of the more popular Gen 4 Pokémon. We can hang onto its fin while it uses its claws to hook into the cliffsides.

May as well just go with Scyther for Cut. I understand the aversion to Gen 1 Pokémon, but there are Scyther in Sinnoh naturally (if you go by the Platinum Dex which, let's face it, everyone wants them to) and it's probably the easiest solution for a rideable Pokémon with obvious cutting tools.

I guess you could use Gliscor instead if you reeeeally wanted them all to be Gen 4 Pokémon, but Scyther feels like the most elegant choice to me.

Although really, can we not just drop Cut?

Last edited:
I don;t see what all the Pokeride Pokemon have to be introduced in gen 4 when the ones in Alola aren't all pokemon introduced in Alola (or even native to that region)

But I;d still argue for Bibarel for everything for the meme factor :p

Rock Climb: Torterra/Grotle

I thought about Torterra too, though then for Cut, but we really shouldn't have any more starter favouritism imo.

Although really, can we not just drop Cut?

I'm all for this, though they'd need to think about something to replace the trees with. Putting NPC's in all those places would be a bit too weird probably. Or maybe there's always a Psyduck with a headache instead :p

I'm all for this, though they'd need to think about something to replace the trees with. Putting NPC's in all those places would be a bit too weird probably. Or maybe there's always a Psyduck with a headache instead :p

I was actually wondering how many Cut bushes there even were in Sinnoh. I am shocked to find that there isn't already a list somewhere, so it looks like I'll have to do a map-by-map count.

@Soki Forgot about Kricketune's size. Scyther is my next choice in that case. Also, I like the idea of using Rampardos and Bastiodon, very fitting.

As far as Cut, IIRC it was mainly used in the Eterna Forest area so they could potentially get away with removing it, although they'd need to do something about the shortcut on Rt. 205. Beyond that it was just used for random items on various routes, nothing missable. I definitely don't see much point in using Cut in future games though because it's not really an interesting obstacle (same with Waterfall), but IDK if they'd retcon it out of future remakes, in some cases I don't think they can.

Luxray would work as the itemfinder, like Stoutland. It has great vision and can even see through walls. Mantine being present in Sinnoh means I'd get another chance for rideable Mantine, so I'll hope for that for one of the water parts! It's big enough to make it work. Meaning no disrespect to Bibarel, of course.

I'm thinking more like this:

Kricketune- Cut
Drifblim- Fly
Bibarel- Surf
Machamp- Strength
Golem- Rock Climb
Floatzel- Waterfall

Doesn't have to be limited to just sinnoh mons as we saw them use charizard for fly.

Ok I just had a general thread question. Is there a thread discussing new pokemon info and/or a thread that discusses a new pokemon game/altered edition (stars) for the switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom