• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The "If Pokémon Were Real" Thread

Pokemon battles would be a dangerous sport, actually. There would be a lot of possibility of someone being hit by a attack. Maybe trainers would need to use protective clothes and would not be rare to hear about trainer who get paralized, burned and seriously injured.

Pokémon would be pets, but most were scattered in the streets with poison, burn and frozen.
There would tournaments by the league and the ilegal trainers and street battles.
Woudn't be possible eat fish without having a gyarados trying to murder us,
legendary Pokemon would be animals at risk of extinction
Some Pokemon would be used to horrific things, like local exploiting pokemon work
there would be a black market for Pokemon
Some Pokemons would use moves that cause confusion and hypnosis to humans
Not to mention that Greenpeace would call Poképeace
some Pokémon would be used as weapons
and flying Pokemon would be a gateway to illegal immigrants to other countries
and the news would have stories about the war between traffickers and their persians against the police and their arcanines.
Team Rocket and the others would be the mafia and organized crime.
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
My friend wrote that on a disussion. I laughed so much, but that's completly true. The dark side if Pokemon were real. There would be a lot of good things too.

I'd probably have some as pets and train others, personally, assuming that if Pokémon were real, humans also have the weird power to sustain no lasting damage from their attacks, like in the anime, and that taking them to the Pokémon Center would be sufficient to save a damaged Pokémon. If these things are not true, then I'd only keep them as pets.

Either way, I'm traveling by way of Rapidash!

I think the local Magikarp would have evolved and razed everything by now.
In all seriousness though, I'd probably hate Wingull so much. The seagulls over here are assholes.

Well, firstly, wars would be far more horrific. Entire cities would be leveled by a single Earthquake attack, for example. Many Pokemon species would be outright banned; I really can't see how Drifblim would be allowed given that it would basically be the go to tool for pedophiles. So yeah, if Pokemon were real get ready for the National Tyranitar Association flame wars.

I'd have a pet Lillipup and I'd just travel everywhere with Aipom, Noivern, Clawitzer, Roserade, Infernape and Mega Lucario
Would also, probably, sell Spinda to collectors because there'll probably be a lot of money in that

If they were real but their attacks wouldn't have lasting effects on people, I would sure be a Trainer. It would also be more of an incentive for me to be extraverted, spend more time outdoors, make more friends...

Otherwise, I don't know; the entire society would have developed differently, I would've grown up in a different way and may or may have not become a Trainer. I would expect strict legislation on several things for such a scenario.

We would all have Mudsdales and a Drampa to ride on in the sunset.

From the posts I've read, you guys are completely misconstrued on the real world implications Pokemon would cause...

The world would need trainers because A LOT of them are a threat to mankind. It wouldn't be this baby glove vision that is portrayed on TV. The actual attacks of Pokemon are lethal. Hypno and Drowzee EAT the dreams of children. Let that sink in for a minute. Mr. Mime locks people into invisible boxes and simply makes them go insane. Gyarados has no chill and is driven solely by rage.. Rage that will destroy entire cities.

You couldn't just 'catch em all', beat gym leaders and fill a pokedex. You'd have to be armed and have to kill many of them. If you run into an Arbok in the wild and he takes out your Pokemon, you are more than likely going to die. Being a trainer would not be this great profession everyone implies it will be. You're going on the front lines of a war with enemies you don't know.

And from an economic standpoint, it would simply be problematic. Policing would be 100x more enforced in regards to Pokemon and Pokemon use. Team Rocket is your example when it came to using and profiting off of Pokemon. Every register to get a pistol permit? Multiple that by 100 before you get the okay to handle Pokemon. Your health insurance would probably be through the roof..

And these are just SOME of the issues you'd have to deal with..

Pokemon in real life would be much scarier than what the games and anime portray. Alex Mon' ^ covers a lot of good points. Trainers would be needed to help keep some of the balance and peace with such powerful creatures.

And when you consider the designs, some Pokemon would be harder to domesticate or keep around the home. Think about Fire Pokemon, or Poison, or those with sharp spikes and whatnot.

But there are some benefits, too. Aside from bonding as pets, they could be great partners in the toils of daily life. Water Pokemon can help put out fires. Grass Pokemon can help beautify our gardens, and Flying Pokemon would help us travel.

Gear would be a necessity. Perhaps our clothing would need to be element resistant. Gloves for handling Pokemon. Maybe special lotion to protect our skin, a well from cuts and burns.

I think that's assuming that Pokémon have an intelligence level equal to real-world animals, which if we're basing what's been shown in the various forms of media to be true, is probably false. Most psychic types would probably be more intelligent than humans and have a working comprehension of the world around them, and I'm sure they'd be more adapt to human society. So even if Hypno are stated to eat the dreams of people, it'd likely be with caution so as not to take too much energy from anyone, and also as a last resort if they can't find food to eat (which is what their Pokédex entries allude to, somewhat). Granted, we have no idea how "dream eating" works and saying anything would be more likely than something else in this situation sounds really silly so I digress. d:

Still, even Pokémon like Beedrill would probably just do their own thing rather than try and actively kill humans. Unless that's what their diet consists of, but I don't think there are any Pokémon out there that eat more than minerals and "Pokémon food." So really humans wouldn't have much to fear unless they were being cruel to a Pokémon/angered it, which could likely be easily avoided. Coupled with the fact that Pokémon likely have higher intelligence than real-world animals, they'd also be more prone to understanding mistakes humans make, and wouldn't be as jumpy. So while there's definitely danger, I don't think it'd be an all-out war with Pokémon or a fight for survival.

The only Pokémon who I'd imagine would be an active threat to human life are Ghost and Dark types, as I've always felt they have a rather nefarious nature, and wouldn't care about the world of humans even if they understood it.

Looking at it from an economic stand-point though, I wonder how much revenue Pokémon battling would generate, and how it would help the world economically?

Looking at it from an economic stand-point though, I wonder how much revenue Pokémon battling would generate, and how it would help the world economically?

You should then ask how much revenue the Real-Life soccer/football generates every year, and how much economical influence does it produce to cities and countries that hold its tournament events.

Just to say, in Real-Life, there is a very big debate about just how much positives can a World Cup bring to a country, isn't it in fact there are more negatives than positives, the countries that survive the post-World-Cup-recession are mostly only the fully-developed countries, all the developing countries were the one to suffer, but yet because there exist countries that does great even after World Cup, it is still something investable where it may bring in the positives, its economical influence is either a hit-or-miss, etc et cetera.
Therefore there is just no right or wrong answer.

Still, even Pokémon like Beedrill would probably just do their own thing rather than try and actively kill humans. Unless that's what their diet consists of, but I don't think there are any Pokémon out there that eat more than minerals and "Pokémon food." So really humans wouldn't have much to fear unless they were being cruel to a Pokémon/angered it, which could likely be easily avoided. Coupled with the fact that Pokémon likely have higher intelligence than real-world animals, they'd also be more prone to understanding mistakes humans make, and wouldn't be as jumpy. So while there's definitely danger, I don't think it'd be an all-out war with Pokémon or a fight for survival.

Like so much to do with pokémon, there's a lot of "depends" involved. I mean, in terms of intelligence, the canon(s) aren't really very consistent - in the games pokémon appear to be not much more than clever animals, sometimes in the anime species form small tribal societies. I think it's telling that very few pokémon use tools and none of them have been shown to actively teach the next generation either - traits that in real life allowed human species (plural) to dominate stronger, faster and deadlier animals.

The world would need trainers because A LOT of them are a threat to mankind. It wouldn't be this baby glove vision that is portrayed on TV. The actual attacks of Pokemon are lethal. Hypno and Drowzee EAT the dreams of children. Let that sink in for a minute. Mr. Mime locks people into invisible boxes and simply makes them go insane. Gyarados has no chill and is driven solely by rage.. Rage that will destroy entire cities.

You couldn't just 'catch em all', beat gym leaders and fill a pokedex. You'd have to be armed and have to kill many of them. If you run into an Arbok in the wild and he takes out your Pokemon, you are more than likely going to die. Being a trainer would not be this great profession everyone implies it will be. You're going on the front lines of a war with enemies you don't know.

Well, for one thing there's no real indication that Drowzee necessarily harms people when it eats dreams. And I think you invented that bit about Mr Mime.

There is a kind of unsolved problem in that we don't know how readily pokémon fight among themselves. In real life animals fight as a calculated risk, not as a gladiatorial bout (Even mating fights are usually intended to be tiring rather than dangerous). There's a good reason for this - there's simply no point risking injury for minor returns. Hiding, threat displays and simply running away are often all better strategies for dealing with threats than immediately fighting. Pokémon might well be more likely to be more aggressive, given that they're obviously more resistant to injury, but then we also don't really know how well they heal independent of human medicine either.

In any case, humans have the advantage of being better organised with more advanced tools than any pokémon - I mentioned it somewhere else on the forum, but a single human, from the perspective of a wild pokémon, is a risky prospect. Any one human might well suddenly summon six fit, strong, well-fed pokémon at a moment's notice - not great odds for a creature that has to rely mostly on itself.

Given that pokémon are in themselves quite dangerous, there'd be a lot more incentive to be careful with conservation and over development. Displacing a population of pokémon will probably have more immediate and obvious side-effects, than, say, encroaching ever more on lion territory

I think a real legit question would be how do humans survive pokemon battles,all thee hyper beams and flamethrower attacks flying around could easily kill the trainer's and fans involve.

Not to mention the destruction to the arenas and battle areas,a real world of Pokemon battling would be a beat up world

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Due to these real life factors and the world not being like cartoons where anyone cannot die easily, the "If Pokemon Were Real" question can be solved: a virtual world/real life Matrix. With the enough programming, the virtual world can work like the Pokemon world where violence is cartoon-style so no one is much harmed, and obviously, we will have Pokemon. Awesome, right? Any opinions/rebuttal/consent?

Some Pokédex entries would be impossible in real life:

* Magmortar couldn't have a temperature of 18000F (9982.2C) because the effective temperature of the Sun is 5499C (9930F).

* There's no way a Pokémon could eat dreams as they are not something physical, rather they are just some sort of hallucination.

* I don't think Gardevoir is stupid to create a black hole.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'd probably get killed by an angry Beedrill. Unlike Ash and friends I probably wont outrun them.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom