• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Start Ups The Kalos Invitational

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinity Storm

Summoner of Lightning
Reaction score
Lumiose City has aĺways been known for its tourism, drawing a sizable crowd of visitors year round. However, today was surely going to be a day for the record books. People from all around the world were making the trek to Lumiose today in hopes of witnessing a truly unique event: the Kalos Invitational Tournament. Featuring Trainers hand-picked by a committee of Gym Leaders and Pokemon Association officials, this competition would give a select few trainers a golden opportunity at recognition. Talent scouts had been arriving throughout the week, eager to see if these Trainers are worthy of the titles they aspire to earn. The tournament was due to start within the hour, and the last of the invited Trainers were sure to arrive any moment now.

Outside of Prism Tower, some crowds had formed to watch Exhibition Battles. Tournament officials had announced that anyone who could defeat an invited trainer would be allowed to take their place in the tournament. Of course, the odds of this actually happening were extremely low, as the invited trainers were all exceptionally talented. The exhibition battles were really just an excuse for the invited trainers to warm up and give the talent scouts a preview of what was to come.

One of the battles was creating a bit of excitement amongst passerby. Michael was battling a particularly determined challenger, and it actually seemed to be anyone’s fight. The challenger had sent out his Sawsbuck to battle Slasher (Michael’s Sceptile), and the two had been trading blows for a while now. After a few more exchanges, Slasher’s whole body began to emit a green light, warranting a smirk from Michael as the Sawsbuck charged again.

“I was wondering how long you’d take to push him into Overgrow. Just in time too, since I’m bored. Slasher, use Frenzy Plant!”

The Sceptile immediately leapt back, eyes glowing a bright green as he slammed his fists against the ground, causing large spiky roots to shoot out the ground and strike the defenseless deer pokemon. It flew back from the impact, landing beside its trainer before fainting. The cheering from the crowd was almost deafening as Michael returned Slasher to his Pokeball, taking a bow before walking away towards Prism Tower.

(OOC: You can choose how to introduce your character. They can be finishing an exhibition battle, be in the crowd watching a battle, or be arriving in Lumiose now. There’ll be an announcement when it’s time for them to head to the Tower)

In another exhibition match, a cold wind blew as a tall, blonde woman in a white track suit with a hideous facial scar and an eyepatch over her left eye was watching her Electivire take on a Machamp in its own game: grapples and punching.

When the Machamp went for a Cross Chop, the Electivire dropped low and grabbed the Machamp by the waist, lifting the Superpower Pokémon up and slammed him on the ground.

"Reinetsu Combo." The woman spoke, getting the Electivire to enshroud his fists with fire and ice and pummeled the Machamp with dozens of punches, finishing it off with a hammer strike, hard enough to crack the pavement underneath the two Pokémon.

The Machamp looked like hell, swirls in its eyes as it laid knocked out in the hole.

"A good effort, but not enough..." Touko spoke up, the field unusually hushed. She then returned Susanoo and punched her hand and bowed slightly, getting a koto riff to mysteriously play and then did an about face and walked towards Prism Tower.

In the crowd of Michael's battle, there was a woman, easily noticed by her glasses, they looked as though a jewelry store had vomited on a butterfly and lenses had been shoved into its wings.
"Useless," Freya, the woman said to herself as she pressed the side of her glasses. "He was obviously simply toying with them. That won't teach me anything about how he'll fight in the tournament." She began to walk away when she was stopped by a call from behind her,
"Hey, you're in the tournament!?"
"Oh for the love of- I had to say it out loud didn't I?" She turned to see a young man standing before her.
"If I beat you I get to take your spot right?"
"Yes, that's right. I assume you'd like to battle?" Freya asked. "Fine then, Emma, make it quick!" She called as she sent out her Sharpedo. The young man called out his Shiftry, and the battle began as a new crowd (and a considerable amount of the old one) formed around them.

Michael reached the tower, only to be told by a staff member that the Gym was still undergoing some last minute rennovations for the tournament. Sighing to himself, he turned back towards the crowd, seeking something to hold his attention. After a moment, he noticed Touko approaching and actually felt a spark of excitement before deciding to approach her.

"If you're here for the tournament, they're not letting anyone in yet. Apparently there were concerns about damage to the Gym. Are you competing?"

In the crowd watching the Exhibition Battle Michael was having, there was a Trainer with black hair, wearing a black cap along with a blue shirt and blue jeans. Just as the battle ended, he was walking away, towards Prism Tower. However, just then, another Trainer calls out to him.

"Hey, you! I know you're one of the hand-picked Trainers. What do you say to a 1-on-1 Exhibition Battle?" he asks.

The black-haired Trainer thinks for a moment before nodding. "I accept your challenge. Come out, Greninja!" he calls, sending the Ninja Pokemon out.

Right away, the other Trainer sends out his Pokemon, a Sceptile.
"Let's see how you deal with a Type disadvantage!" he says, smirking.

"All these guys fighting already. The tournament hasn't even started yet!"

Thomas calmly walked through the streets of Lumiose, his gaze turneed from the battles to the grand gym tower that stood in thee center. He covered his eyes from the sun, admiring the view. The gentle breeze blew all around him, causing him to relax for a moment. "I suppose we can get a little practice in before the tournament, too."

He reached into his bag, pulling out a pokeball and holding it in front of him, only to see the pokeball open without any kind of flash or effect. It was... empty?

"Kekeke..." came a raspy voice, causing Thomas to smirk. He peered over his shoulder, coming face to face with Sid, his sableye, hanging from his backpack.

"You rascal, how did I not notice you?" Thomas set, reaching a hand to pet the mischievous pokemon on the head. The sableye snickered again, before pointing a clawed hand to the Lumiose juice shoppe, tugging lightly at his trainer's shirt.

"Oh, of course you want a snack," Thomas teased, before resigning to the pokemon's wishes. A little snack before the tournament wouldn't hurt. He idly headed towards the juice shoppe, ordering something for himself and for his sableye, reclining on a bench just outside, watching the battles take place. "So many trainers here. We've got our work cut out for us, for sure."

"I am. Touko Kenshin." Touko said, bowing her head slightly in greetings, then took out her hand, inwardly a bit put off at the inability to sign up at the moment.

"And you are?" She asked.

Blake watched from the stands as various battles took place... or so he imagined, because he was running late.

"WHY AM I ALWAYS LAAAATE?!?" he shouted, running at top speed to Lumiose. "Why didn't I cash in on that bike deal?" he pondered, remembering how he could've gotten a bike for a very cheap price.

Eventually he made it there, barely in time for a match.

"Guys... we made it..." he exhaustedly said to his Pokémon, still in their balls. "Now to find a challenger!"

He marched off to look for one immediately.

Last edited:
Upon seeing the Grass-type Pokemon sent out against his Greninja, the black-haired Trainer sighs.
"You seem to know I'm one of the hand-picked Trainers for the Kalos Invitational. Do you really think I would not prepare my Pokemon for any types they may be weak to? Greninja, use Aerial Ace."

The other Trainer's eyes turn wide, realizing his mistake in choosing Sceptile. It is too late, however, as the attack hits, causing Sceptile to faint.

Just then, Greninja's Trainer hears clapping behind him. When he turns around, he sees one of the talent scouts walking up.
He turns to the black-haired Trainer. "Sycamore told me how you make use of type effectiveness in battle. Seeing that battle in person, I can see why you're one of the chosen Trainers, Mick Brooks."
"Thank you for the praise, sir," he says, before walking towards Prism Tower.

"Michael Sovner. Pleased to meet you." Michael replied before shaking Touko's hand. After releasing her hand, his eyes glanced back at the crowd and the battles still taking place. Chuckling to himself, it dawned on him why the tournament officials had set up the exhibition battles.

"Do you think these challengers honestly have any hopes of beating any of us?" he asked.

Blake came upon an Ace Trainer, wearing those clothes exclusive to Kalos Aces.

"I challenge you! The exhibition matches will be won by me, Ace Trainer Will!!" The Trainer sent out Hitmonlee.

"Okay!" Blake shouted, as he threw out a Poké Ball, containing his beloved Braixen.

The two immediately exchanged attacks. After a long fight, Braixen finished the Hitmonlee with her Psyshock.

"N-no... INCONCEIVABLE!!!" the Ace Trainer shouted. He then ran off to a Pokémon Center, dropping some money by mistake.

"Hey, sir!" Blake shouted. "You dropped your money!"

Will kept on running, ignoring him.

"Hmm. Guess I'll just keep it." Blake received about $1200, then started walking around again, but not before healing Braixen.

(I'm using a dollar sign but just so you know, it's the same currency as in the games.)

Meanwhile, another exhibition battle was soon to conclude. A Fearow had just hit the sweet spot of the opposing trainer's Carbink with a Drill Run and defeated it.

"And that's the battle over. Good job Fearow." the trainer named Volo responded to his bird Pokémon, petting him. It had been easy once Drifblim sent over a Focus Energy. "Thanks for helping us warm up, we'll be sure to put on a good display for you~" he said to the downed opponent with a flighty air to his voice, a side of him that he'd masked throughout the battle.

"Ayy would you take a look at DAT!" Exclaimed the nineteen year old from Unova. He gazed curiously at the famed Prism Tower of Lumiose City, which held the grand event of Kalos Invitational. The young man noticed the largely triangular design of the tower and shuddered at the thought of how many mathematic and engineering genius would it take to build a tower that radiates grace and elegance such as this one. A tug from a dark blue, bipedal Pokemon broke Tej from his reverie.

The Pokemon's head bears an upward spike. His eyes are bright yellow, sinister and intimidating, but has a certain friendliness to it if one looks hard enough. The Pokemon croaked and pointed towards the tower entrance.

"Not yet pal. Chill, we will get our chance to shine later. The place aint even open yet yo." Said Tej to his Toxicroak, still observing the tower and occasionally checking out the ladies that pass by. His eyes fell upon a woman that is currently having a battle with her Sharpedo. Though she looked older and a bit unfriendly, she must have been pretty underneath that glasses. Tej whistled and his lips curved upward in a smirk. "Aye thats a fine lookin lady. Reminds you of that girl that always gets an A in high school dontchu think?"

The Toxicroak nodded in agreement. He then dropped his head while raising an arm and the elbow in a gesture as if he was sneezing. Tej laughed and patted the Toxicroak's head "whoa whoa, who taught you to dab?"

Volo had now taken a seat on a bench nearby, looking at the tower with a Swoobat perched happily on his left arm as he fed her some pellets. "It doesn't look like anyone else is wanting to try and take our spot. We'll soon be battling inside that tower. Excited, dear?"

The Swoobat let out a delighted little screech in agreement and nuzzled her trainer. "Haha, as sweet as ever~" It was to be expected really, when one considers how Woobat evolve. "The other trainers competing here are all really good but we're going to work hard at it." he said, eliciting a pleased chirrup from his bat companion.

Last edited:
"Perhaps with generous amounts of luck and good Pokémon lineup choices." Touko said evenly, though she was thinking much of the crowd could not fight her on an even level, due to her unorthodox training methods.

Her sole eye carefully looked at the other exhibition matches, scoping out potential matches, and snacked on an Oran Berry.

"Fair enough. I probably should have been more serious about my battles" Michael mused, watching the crowd as well. He almost laughed when he saw some staff members roping off the area that Slasher had wrecked with Frenzy Plant. Maybe their concerns about the Gym weren't completely unfounded.

"AH! Idea!" Blake shouted, seeing a bunch of trainers. "We should have a Battle Royale! All of us fighting each other at once!"

He immediately started digging in his bag for Poké Balls. This could get chaotic.

"I hope this gets chaotic!" he said, holding a Ball.

Before Blake could throw the Ball, a tournament official heard him and quickly ran over to stop him.

"Sir, please keep Exhibition Battles limited to 1-on1 matches only. Lumiose City has already expressed concerns about safety and property damage, and in the event that an invited trainer loses, we need for it to be clear who will be taking their slot in the tournament."

"Aw, man! Oh well..."

He sadly put the Ball back in his bag.

"I'll just look for a strong challenger," he said, walking around.

An Ace Trainer sporting Hoenn clothes stepped in front of him.

"Lookin' for a fight?" he asked, already holding a Great Ball.

"You bet!" Blake said, grabbing his Balls.

And just like that, another battle began...

As he's walking towards Prism Tower, Mick notices another battle going on, with one Trainer holding what looks like a Great Ball. Curious, he joins the crowd and watches the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom