• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The rival(s).

Somari

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any rival threads on this sub-forum. So I'm making one.

I honestly was thinking about this last night and..Does anyone else wish for two rivals, like in RSE?

Some may say Brendan and May aren't rivals however they are if you think about it.
They exclaim how they are rivals though they, presumably temporarily, drop that mid-story to go help their father with their research.

Lucas, Dawn, Lyra or Ethan aren't your rivals. They don't exclaim it, they don't battle you, and neither of you seem to even think of each other as a rival. They help you..And are arguably GF trying to give you a love interest.

I honestly would like a female and male rival, and neither of them being the psuedo-character. I would prefer if the female was the main rival.
Also, I don't want the female to be as goody-goody as Dawn or May are as NPCs.

Maybe she'd have female Cool Trainer type personality or a yandere/tsundere..

Last edited:
Hmmm... I think I would like one rival, one that wasn't the unused playable character, and maybe then another rival like Wally. But a girl.

I would like a female rival who is similar in ideals to either Blue, Silver or Barry.

Nice rivals don't do it for me.

Girl that is like Silver. Perfect rival.

Girl that is like Silver. Perfect rival.

A whiny snort who can't take defeat and beats you up, who has anger and parent problems, who gets a Heel Face Turn?

I'd rather take a Green type rival, and even then I wouldn't be happy. Green was..Not a jerk but annoying.

I would like to have four characters two rivals one friendy rival and player character two boys two girls. Depending on what gender you are will choose what the four characters roles are.

What? That's..Overly confusing, doesn't seem like it would work well, and seems like too much work and space anyway.

I know that animé≠games, lets take paul, multiply his cruelty with silver's, add that to the personality to gary, insert the devil, put all that in to the body of lorelei(animé), and decrease her age to 12, and you get the perfect rival.

paul*silver+gary+devil=x
x+lorelei-18 years=ideal rival

Well, actually I don't know about that type of rival.

It's just, the perfect rival was Silver and the Perfect rival that had the best storyline effects was Gary.

I kinda wish they'd make a twist with the Gen V rival like they did in Gens 1/2

I know that animé≠games, lets take paul, multiply his cruelty with silvers, add that to the personality to gary, insert the devil, put all that in to the body of lorelei(animé), and decrease her age to 12, and you get the perfect rival.

paul*silver+gary+devil=x
x+lorelei-18 years=ideal rival.

You could just save the effort and make the game version of Ursula/Urara.

Edit: Think about it, she's cocky, incredibly over-confident, she eavesdrops on you, she tries to destroy you emotionally, she wants to ruin the promise that you made to your mentor etc. She'd be perfect.

Last edited:
I see it as it would be kinda cool to have these other two guys or a siblings (twins??) and they gang up on you all the time.

You could just save the effort and make the game version of Ursula/Urara.

this this this.

Umm lets see...onr thing all rivals have in common is that they apply the "cant cath up" trope in some sort of way,with Gary and Silver it was played straight,Wally...I guess he was kind of an inversion, and Barry was a deconstruction....

So,next rival should be a reconstruction.He should be very,very hard to beat,have pokemon unfairly stronger than you since the beggining and have a very hight AI.

DPPt had a good rival formula, with the gender you didn't pick having the starter weak to yours. I'd be fine with the true rival (Barry, Silver, Blue, etc.) being female, but make her as badass as Silver.

Bring on Gary Motherfucking Oak with girly bits!
She tries to sabotage you, purposely battles you at the worst times, a total bitch you just want to throw dirt at. She is either really energetic or really mellow but is such a jerkass that you feel special inside every time you beat her.

THAT is what I want.

I had an interesting Idea just now... Whether you choose Male or Female, your "counterpart" is of the same gender as you, and chooses the pokemon that you are strong too. your "Rival" however, combines the attitudes of all rivals. said character is also the opposite gender of you and your counterpart.

I would like your Rival to be the same Gender as you. That would be neat. I do not want an exclusively Female Rival.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom