• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Seriously, I think they truly changed it this time. I feel when the parents go in and the whole one is randomly generated, if both Shiny Charm and Masuda are used, you're certain to get one within 512. As long as the parents stay the whole time. Even sending one to a box may reset the chain. Has anyone had it take more with both boosts in effect??
Yes.
It took me 1386 eggs for a shiny Lapras, and my friend is close to 1000 on Alolan Vulpix, if he haven't gotten 1k+ already.
It is very common thing to get within about 600 eggs, but it's not a certain thing at all.
Unfortunately...

My first shiny in SM was... a Gumshoos! The hot pink replacing the yellow adds a touch of fabulousness to this detective mongoose.

Alright, while fishing for Bottlecaps, I managed to get:
Docile Shiny Magikarp;
Mild Shiny Wailmer;
each one with less that one hour between each other.
Either I'm going to get all the shinies today, or I'm not going to get any shinies for the next 5 months.
I also got a shiny Timid (!!!!!!!!!!) Golduck two days ago, while leveling up some mons. Seriously, what is happening?
Edit: Just hatched a shiny Mudbray. Would be fine if I were breeding specifically for a shiny with Masuda Method, but I was just breeding one with good IVs. WTH is up with my luck today?

Last edited:
*rubs @SpikOriundo 's head for good luck* Shaaaaaaaaaaaare. I need luck this weekend when I give shiny Rockruff another go.
Please, get this luck out of me!
I'm feeling bad, my friend hatched Alolan Vulpixes for one week, over 1300 eggs, to get a shiny one with SNOW CLOAK.
What I get in the meantime? Two shiny Riolus, a completely random Timid Golduck, Magikarp (after another friend of mine hatch 780+ for nothing), Wailmer, and an even more completely random Mudbray.
Life is unfair, look at all these people with no shinies, while I have so many...

A few days after my Pikipek hunt I went for Mudbray, ended up getting her. I named her Doritos because her color kind of looks like doritos. It's not the same exact color, but relatively close.

Since then i've done another hundred encounters for Bounsweet, no luck there, and a little bit of Shiny Popplio hatching, no luck there either. Also did 100 encounters for Eevee, no luck.

Today I decided to go for Cubone. One of my favorite shiny hunting positions is on my side and using a small stuffed bear as a stand for my 2DS, the problem with this position is I fall asleep on my side, so being in it makes me sleepy. I don't think I'll ever shiny hunt in this position again because I almost knocked out a shiny. At 61 encounters, my Shiny Cubone popped up, and I missed it because I was half-asleep. I was very lucky that when I opened my eyes, it was zoomed in on the shiny, or I surely would have fainted it. It woke me up sure enough, and I caught him and named him after the Greek god Atlas.

This one is actually from a while ago, but I got a shiny slowpoke from breeding. It has 3 IVs and regenerator, but is mild, as I had no everstone on either parent until I could find a bold one I could swap in. It was on the second egg and I considered magikarping it, but wasn't really sure how to. I just left it and ended up using it on my latest playthrough.

New shinies to my collection: managed to get a shiny Magnemite, Oricorio (male, surprisingly), Stufful (male), Dewpider (male), Vulpix, Rattata, Spinarak, and Caterpie (all of these latter four are female). Including the Cottonee that I traded to my brother, my shiny count is now at 22. I'm not including the shinies I got in trades and Pokemon Banked from previous games.

Been trying for hours for a shiny Alolan Meowth, but he's alluded me, which is surprising since I manged to catch Pokemon with lower SOS call rates and still get a shiny to show up at some point.

I'm at a point where I'm going to take a break from shiny hunting and I'm going to start developing my competitive teams. Would be nice to have a good natured shiny to use in battle. None of the shinies I have caught had good natures.

Question:

Are most people getting shinies through SOS or breeding?? So far I've bred all of mine (on a Tepig hunt now), but I feel like I'm reading more encounters from SOS. I've yet to come across a wild shiny.

Been hunting since last night for shiny gastly. I go on here to read about other people's shinies, and the gastly shines!

Question:

Are most people getting shinies through SOS or breeding?? So far I've bred all of mine (on a Tepig hunt now), but I feel like I'm reading more encounters from SOS. I've yet to come across a wild shiny.
I have plans on SOSing some, even bred a Gallade with an attack, Skill Swap (in case I just want to get one with HA), False Swipe and Hypnosis. However, I'm breeding a bunch, because I want some more competitive ones. Either with correct natures, abilities, egg moves and etc, cause I want to get a little bit more into the competitive scene. And it's not enough for me to just win battles; I gotta win with STYLE!

All of my non-WT shinies (minus two exceptions) have been through SOS (and by "all" I mean all of three SOS'd pokemon). When I stop being a lazy bastard (or, you know, have a break from work and school) I'll port all of my breeding pairs forward and attempt to Masuda my way into 5-6IV shinies.

Nice. All of the shiny I've bred have at least 4IV. And competitive natures. I'm just going to Hyper Train a few IV once I hit 100 with Primarina and Charizard.

No. The system predetermines the egg chain IV spreads and which shiny the egg will be. 1/512 odds, hatch 50-100, switch parents, the chain resets. Gives a far superior percentage. I'm in double digits on hatched shinies.

Back
Top Bottom