• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legends Z-A The Starters of Pokemon Legends: ZA

What will the Starters be?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
In Legends Arceus, we got a choice of three starters from different Generations:
Rowlet (Gen 7)
Cyndaquil (Gen 2)
Oshawott (Gen 5)

Will Legends Z-A do the same, or will the Starters be the Kalos trio (Chespin, Fennekin, & Froakie)?
Will we get to choose one of the Kanto Starters like we could in XY?

While I do want and hope that we get starters similar to what we got from Legends Arceus, I don't really think that will be the standard for every game with this moniker until we get more of these games. That aside, don't forget that X and Y also let us get members of the Kanto trio. So, there is a chance that those three get shoved down our throats again.

I'm thinking past non gen 6 starters

If the Kalos trio were the starters, I'd assume we would've seen em in the trailer, (particularly when Greninja is basically the face of gen 6). Also I think they would've been kept out of Indigo Disk in the same way they kept out the Aura trio to reserve em for this.

As for which individual past starters, I personally I've kinda latched to the decently speculated French-esque trio of Snivy, Piplup, and Scorbunny, seems like a nice variety whilst still being decently cohesive.

Based on various factors (none of which were noticed by me first) I believe the most likely trio is a Grass/TBA Serperior, Water/Ice Empoleon, and Fire/Flying Blaziken. Having two birds is a bit redundant but chickens and penguins aren't that closely related and don't look that similar (Piplup and Torchic are kinda similar but only until evolving and lots of unevolved Pokémon have that cute, big-headed look). If regional forms of Pokémon with Megas all get their own Megas then Serperior and Empoleon will get a new Mega for each form and Blaziken will just get a new Mega for its regional form. If regional forms of Pokémon with Megas don't necessarily get Megas then the PLZA starters may or may not get Megas (with Unovan Serperior and Sinnohan Empoleon likely not getting anything either way).

If the next Tera Raid is Serperior then I will assume this theory is correct and its Tera type will be Kalosian Serperior's secondary type. If not I'll be surprised and have no theory on which starters we'll get.

Based on various factors (none of which were noticed by me first) I believe the most likely trio is a Grass/TBA Serperior, Water/Ice Empoleon, and Fire/Flying Blaziken. Having two birds is a bit redundant but chickens and penguins aren't that closely related and don't look that similar (Piplup and Torchic are kinda similar but only until evolving and lots of unevolved Pokémon have that cute, big-headed look). If regional forms of Pokémon with Megas all get their own Megas then Serperior and Empoleon will get a new Mega for each form and Blaziken will just get a new Mega for its regional form. If regional forms of Pokémon with Megas don't necessarily get Megas then the PLZA starters may or may not get Megas (with Unovan Serperior and Sinnohan Empoleon likely not getting anything either way).

If the next Tera Raid is Serperior then I will assume this theory is correct and its Tera type will be Kalosian Serperior's secondary type. If not I'll be surprised and have no theory on which starters we'll get.

Grass/Dragon would make the most sense for Serperior I think. It's very serpentine and royal so I could see Dragon type fitting.

The thing is

I have seen people not wanting them to do the repeat generations of Legends Arceus, which means gen 2, 5 and 7 are out.
Here lies the problem however. Assuming the starters get Mega Evolution or Regional Variants.
With both of them, Gen 1 and Gen 3 are out because they already have Mega's, which makes it unlikely they get Regional Variants as well, because Mega's are the focus of the gamem so they need to make a Mega for that variant as well though.
Without repeats, Gen 2, 5 and 7 are also out.
Gen 9 is also out (Sprigatito, Fuecoco and Quaxly debuted in the same gen Legends ZA will be in).
If its the same as Legends Arceus, where you can find the regional starters in the wild, gen 6 is also out.
Which means the only options are gen 4 and gen 8. So they are kinda forced to do at least one repeat, which is most likely gonna be a gen 5 one
My money on the starters is either the gen 6 ones with Mega's or Snivy, Piplup and Scorbunny with either a Mega or a regional form.
Snivy is based on French Royalty, Piplup/Empoleon on Napoleon (Also French Royalty) and Football/Soccer is huge in France, so Scorbunny makes a lot of sense as well.

The thing is

I have seen people not wanting them to do the repeat generations of Legends Arceus, which means gen 2, 5 and 7 are out.
Here lies the problem however. Assuming the starters get Mega Evolution or Regional Variants.
With both of them, Gen 1 and Gen 3 are out because they already have Mega's, which makes it unlikely they get Regional Variants as well, because Mega's are the focus of the gamem so they need to make a Mega for that variant as well though.
Without repeats, Gen 2, 5 and 7 are also out.
Gen 9 is also out (Sprigatito, Fuecoco and Quaxly debuted in the same gen Legends ZA will be in).
If its the same as Legends Arceus, where you can find the regional starters in the wild, gen 6 is also out.
Which means the only options are gen 4 and gen 8. So they are kinda forced to do at least one repeat, which is most likely gonna be a gen 5 one
My money on the starters is either the gen 6 ones with Mega's or Snivy, Piplup and Scorbunny with either a Mega or a regional form.
Snivy is based on French Royalty, Piplup/Empoleon on Napoleon (Also French Royalty) and Football/Soccer is huge in France, so Scorbunny makes a lot of sense as well.
Can't argue with that.

It is probably going to be Torchic Piplup and Snivy because in the trailer where they revealed that past starters are coming to Pokemon S & V they had the Legends Arceus starters next to Snivy, Torchic, and Piplup and Empoleon is based on Napoleon, Blaziken is a rooster(France national animal) and Serperior is French royalty.

It is probably going to be Torchic Piplup and Snivy because in the trailer where they revealed that past starters are coming to Pokemon S & V they had the Legends Arceus starters next to Snivy, Torchic, and Piplup and Empoleon is based on Napoleon, Blaziken is a rooster(France national animal) and Serperior is French royalty.
I fail to see how that would be an indicator.

Last edited:
I think they'll follow the same pattern as Arceus...the Kalos starters will be available in the game, but they won't be your first partner. Maybe one starter each from Gen 1, Gen 3, and Gen 8? So...let's say Squirtle, Treeko, and Scorbunny? (If they go Gen 1, I'd like to see someone other than Charmander for a change.)

As much as I'd love Pipulp, snivy and Scorbunny (especially Scorbunny) I think it's possible we still get Kalos starters with megas. Ok so legends Arceus didn't have sinnoh starters but we just had them with BDSP so it would have been repetitive even if they gave them regional forms (which lore wise wouldn't make much sense. They are still in sinnoh present day why did they lose their regional forms. Notice almost all hisuain pokemon can't be obtained in sinnoh present day except cyndaquil. )

So the Kalos starters wouldn't be repetitive this time around and they'd have the gimmick they should have already had with a mega for each of them. So they'd have something new going on as well unlike the sinnoh starters.

The “obvious” choices are Snivy and Piplup, maybe with Scorbunny thrown in just like Legends: Arceus. But those seem a little TOO obvious. Empoleon in particular feels a little too on the nose. Though I did post a theory based on some of the major players of Paris’ historic reconstruction that suggests the Piplup line could be the signature Pokemon of a Napoleon III counterpart.

New Megas are almost a given, perhaps even moreso than new regionals, so Kalos starters with Mega Evolutions is a definite possibility. If they really wanted to throw a curveball at us, though, they could do something like Pokemon Ranger and give us a nontraditional starter. Espurr, maybe? With its gender (and evolution) being based on your player character choice?

The Serperior raid battle I expected has not appeared instead there is a Psychic type Meganium tera raid. Either the theory that the recent starter raid battles (excluding the Gen 1 raids to celebrate Pokémon Day) are the PLZA starters is wrong or we are getting Water/Ice Empoleon, Fire/Flying Blaziken, and Grass/Psychic Meganium. I´m unsure which one to believe since Piplup, Snivy, and Blaziken seemed like such a good trio for Kalos.

Back
Top Bottom