• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

ACADEMY: The Workshop Writing Academy

Legacy

Reader and Writer
Reaction score
LESSON INDEX

Lesson One: Description and World Building
(June '12)
Lesson Two: Creating Fantastic Pokeworlds (July '12)
Lesson Three: Character Development (September '12)
Lesson Four: Writing Under Pressure (October '12)
Lesson Five: Getting Started (November '12)
Lesson Six: Christmas (December '12)
Lesson Seven: Writing Reviews (February '13)
Lesson Eight: Punctuation (March '13)
Lesson Nine: Plot Flow (April '13)
Lesson Ten: Plotting a Story for Character Development (June '13)
Lesson Eleven: How to Write Romance (July '13)
Lesson Twelve: Dialogue (August '13)
Lesson Thirteen: Building a World From the Ground Up (September/October '13)
Lesson Fourteen: Creating Your Own Region (November '13)
Lesson Fifteen: Adapting the Games (December '13/January '14)
Lesson Sixteen: Exposition (February '14)
Lesson Seventeen: Description for World Building (March/April '14)
Lesson Eighteen: Writing History, Government and Culture (May '14)
Lesson Nineteen: Basics of Poetry (June '14)
Lesson Twenty: Researching (July/August '14)
Lesson Twenty-One: Writing Action Scenes (September/October '14)
Lesson Twenty-Two: A Guide to Giving and Receiving Criticism (March '16)
Lesson Twenty-Three: Making an Antagonist (May '16)
Lesson Twenty-Four: Things I Wish I Had Known (April '17)
Lesson Twenty-Five: Worldbuilding Revisit (November '17)
Lesson Twenty-Six: Punctuation Revisit (April '18)
Lesson Twenty-Seven: Camping (July '18)

Hello everyone, and welcome to the Writer’s Workshop Writing Academy!

The Writer’s Academy, as it is known for short, is a series of writing related lessons that will be posted once a month by different authors. These lessons will cover a different topic, such as character development or punctuation, and are designed to educate those who need the help. Also, all members of our community are welcome to discuss the content of the lesson and their own views on the subject, sharing ideas and asking questions that will further benefit your fellow writers.

It will essentially be a discussion-based class that will delve into the different areas of writing in hopes that all of our writers can learn a thing or two about areas in which they are not as strong as others. A new lesson will be posted every month. Each lesson will be its own thread in the Writer's Block, and will have the "Academy" prefix for easy identification. An index with links to each lesson thread will be held here for easy reviewing.

What sort of topics will be covered in the future?

Topics will vary, and suggestions can be made in the form of VM/PM to any of the mods if you have a subject that you feel needs special attention, or feel free to suggest it here. However, all topics will relate towards writing; if you look at past lessons, we have covered a range of topics such as exposition, world building and Pokemon-only topics like adapting the games. Some issues will be related solely to writing Pokemon stories but we aim to make things are broad as possible.

Each month, a new lesson will begin. A month may seem like a long time to spend on one topic, but remember the goal is to really improve ourselves as writers, and that kind of commitment cannot be completed overnight. The month will give everyone ample opportunity to focus on the lesson, have a good, long and meaningful discussion about it, and also will give everyone time to study what they've learned and hopefully implement it into their own writing.

How can I participate??

If you would like to contribute, it is all fairly simple. You simply need to message Legacy with your idea for a lesson (providing it is not one that has already been covered – look at the index above for suggestions) and provide a brief lesson plan, so as to what you will be discussing and how you will go about it. There is no required structure, but we do ask that you try and provide some examples of what you are discussing and perhaps try your best to find other learning tools that you find helpful and will therefore help others.

When it comes to discussing, there is no requirement that if you read it you have to post a comment, but it would be good for everyone if you have opinion that you share it with everyone. Remember, our collective goal is to help each other get better as writers. If you are particularly strong in the area being discussed, OFFER YOUR OPINION/EXPERTISE! If you feel you are not strong in that area, ASK QUESTIONS! Also, we encourage using examples from actual fics/books/articles/etc to support your points and opinions.

How cool would it be to really work hard together and not only help each other's fics become better quality, but also to help each other become better writers overall in real life! Better grades in school! Better grades on papers and real life writing assignments! Who knows? Someday a bunch of you might go on to become professional and famous authors! How cool would it be to look back at your time at the Workshop and remember all the camaraderie and friendship we have here?

Above all, the Writing Academy will be a golden opportunity for us to work together as a community of friends in order to help each other learn and improve: not only as fic authors but as writers in real everyday life!

Feel free to ask general questions about the Academy here. Any topical questions about specific lessons or areas of writing should go in the lesson/discussion threads as they occur.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yikes, I'm embarrassed by the me of 2012. I never did get round to writing anything for the Academy, much less something worthwhile. I would still like to, of course, but this time round I have actual experience and education to draw on. I'll put something sensible in this post another time and preserve the nonsense below for posterity.

I could not approve more of this, and I look forward to participating with the utmost enthusiasm. The experience shall be nothing short of exquisite~
Hmm. Would it be acceptable for me to take it upon myself to collate, coalesce, conglomerate the useful information into cohesive, coherent, articles? (Once the corresponding thread inevitably peters out.)

Some topics covered will be: [...] Grammar [...]

[...] remember all the comrodery [...]
*chuckle*

Last edited:
I could not approve more of this, and I look forward to participating with the utmost enthusiasm. The experience shall be nothing short of exquisite~
Hmm. Would it be acceptable for me to take it upon myself to collate, coalesce, conglomerate the useful information into cohesive, coherent, articles? (Once the corresponding thread inevitably peters out.)

Some topics covered will be: [...] Grammar [...]

[...] remember all the comrodery [...]
*chuckle*

Haha cut me some slack! I wrote that entire post on my phone.

And yes, we'd love you to grace us with your organizational skills. Thank you.

If you are particularly strong in the area being discussed, OFFER YOUR OPINION/EXPERTISE! If you feel you are not strong in that area, ASK QUESTIONS!
Actually, I would like to state that if you are particularly strong in an area, your questions might be just as important. You will have a different basis, and different grounds for asking questions, leading to different questions which can result in equally helpful ruminations on the subject. Also, if you are well-versed you know what kind of questions are good to ask, to get people to reflect better on the subject. Give a man an answer and he'll think for a day, teach a man to reason and he'll think for a lifetime and all that. If those who are skilled (in addition to the professors) ask questions instead of giving straight-out answers (or any figurative equivalents to questions and answers that seem appropriate to apply to a discussion), it might be just as helpful, as people think and reflect more around a question than an answer ;P

Naturally they could (and should) share their abundant knowledge, but they might just wait a little. As a longstanding moderator of and active participant in several philosophical and political forums, I've come to see that as the best basis for discussions where the sharing of knowledge and fostering of reflection are key elements. Basically, encourage wondering about the topic. I would thus also recommend everyone looking for knowledge or insight to reflect on questions before reading other people's answers. Then read the answers, and reflect over it one more time with both your previous reflection and any newfound knowledge and insight from other people in mind. Then share what you find.

'tis but my opinion, though, people may go ahead as they wish :p

Am strongly looking forward to this initiative!

If you are particularly strong in the area being discussed, OFFER YOUR OPINION/EXPERTISE! If you feel you are not strong in that area, ASK QUESTIONS!
Actually, I would like to state that if you are particularly strong in an area, your questions might be just as important. You will have a different basis, and different grounds for asking questions, leading to different questions which can result in equally helpful ruminations on the subject. Also, if you are well-versed you know what kind of questions are good to ask, to get people to reflect better on the subject. Give a man an answer and he'll think for a day, teach a man to reason and he'll think for a lifetime and all that. If those who are skilled (in addition to the professors) ask questions instead of giving straight-out answers (or any figurative equivalents to questions and answers that seem appropriate to apply to a discussion), it might be just as helpful, as people think and reflect more around a question than an answer ;P

Naturally they could (and should) share their abundant knowledge, but they might just wait a little. As a longstanding moderator of and active participant in several philosophical and political forums, I've come to see that as the best basis for discussions where the sharing of knowledge and fostering of reflection are key elements. Basically, encourage wondering about the topic. I would thus also recommend everyone looking for knowledge or insight to reflect on questions before reading other people's answers. Then read the answers, and reflect over it one more time with both your previous reflection and any newfound knowledge and insight from other people in mind. Then share what you find.

'tis but my opinion, though, people may go ahead as they wish :p

Am strongly looking forward to this initiative!

Very well said!

Lesson suggestions:

- Lesson in writing good dialog
- Lesson in flow and pacing (of the writing itself, not the plot)

- Lesson in flow and pacing (of the writing itself, not the plot)

I definitely agree with this. People often compliment me on my writing style and its flow, but, honestly, it's not something I do on purpose.

Flow of your writing is something that generally comes with experience more than anything else, and then your innate mastery of writing. Those reasons are aspects we rarely reflect over having, as they come naturally as we do something, they don't come as much through focused efforts on those aspects.

That said, there are tons of useful tips for chipping away at some of the most noticeable errors (blocky and run-on sentences, passive tense and so on), which is why I'm requesting such a lesson (also, because I'm touching this in the lesson I'm currently writing about description).

Well, I guess I do at least have experience on my side. I started writing fan fiction back in 2008.

I was just wondering... I mean before I heard about this project I had a few ideas of my own to share -and I'm not the only one- they very much resemble the concept of the academy were you give lessons, but in my case it was more like guides or outlines. The ideas were also specific and detailed, not general like the previously sticky-ed thread "A Guide to Good Writing".

So I was wondering, since you guys started the academy... what should I do exactly with these guides?

I was just wondering... I mean before I heard about this project I had a few ideas of my own to share -and I'm not the only one- they very much resemble the concept of the academy were you give lessons, but in my case it was more like guides or outlines. The ideas were also specific and detailed, not general like the previously sticky-ed thread "A Guide to Good Writing".

So I was wondering, since you guys started the academy... what should I do exactly with these guides?

PM me.

Perhaps we can talk about you being a contributor to the Academy if you are willing.

There will be no lesson this month due to there being less moderators than usual and we have to work on the Awards. It should return next month!

How about a lesson in writing a good review for other peoples work. I've only done one review but I'd like to know things to look out for and hopefully be able to write better ones in the future.

How about a lesson in writing a good review for other peoples work. I've only done one review but I'd like to know things to look out for and hopefully be able to write better ones in the future.

That's a very intriguing idea. We are looking at doing the next few lessons under a similar theme so that they interconnect, so I will suggest this to the other moderators and see if we can tie it in with some other topics

Calling all the great writers out there!

We have decided to trial taking public submissions for the next Academy lesson. I have left it a bit late to get things going due to the Awards and personal dramas (uni and writing :p), but I am here to set it up and to hopefully have a lesson out by the middle of next month!

The theme for the next lesson will be how to write a good review. This involves giving positive and constructive feedback, what counts as flaming, and ways to structure your review for all those who are unsure. It has been a hot topic recently, so we thought this would be a great way to do things. PM me if you are interested with an example of a review you have given and an idea of what you would talk about. Obviously, do not submit if you have no idea how to write a review, or if you are a scarce reviewer, as we will double check if you are knowledgeable on the subject. Read through the previous lessons (linked to on the previous page) as well so you know what a typical lesson is like as you should provide links to outside resources or reference them.

This may sound like a lot, but if you have the knowledge, it is not too bad and would be a great way to give back to the Workshop and help out your fellow writers! I will only take submissions sent to me before the 1st of Feb so that there is enough time to choose a candidate!

This may sound like a lot, but if you have the knowledge, it is not too bad and would be a great way to give back to the Workshop and help out your fellow writers! I will only take submissions sent to me before the 1st of Feb so that there is enough time to choose a candidate!

This looks interesting, but were I to apply and be chosen, when would the deadline for the actual lesson be? I'd love to contribute, but I don't want to apply and then have to bunk out.

I would like to have it up by about the middle of the month, so you could have like a week and a half to two weeks to do it and give us a chance to have a glance over? Hope this helps

We are looking into the next lesson and want to see some more Workshop-ers take part! Here is our list of potential topics that we will be using over the next few months based on the public's suggestions:

Grammar
Punctuation (including around dialogue)
Tense
Dialogue
Proofreading
Plot flow

If anyone is interested in tackling one of these issues or combining two or so together (logically), PM me with an idea of what your lesson would involve and some proof that you are good when it comes to grammar, punctuation or what have you :) And due to the broad nature of this, if you are not selected this month we could still use you again in the future :)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom