• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theory: Gen Seven's Third Game

ToddMann10000

Pokemon Collector
Reaction score
I actually have two theories, but firstly; I know Sun and Moon aren't out yet, but i had these crazy ideas, figured they were fun, so i thought i'd share them.

First Theory; There is no third game.
Obviously, we haven't seen any other legendaries yet, but- what if there isn't a third legendary? There are only two celestial bodies that orbit our planet (the sun and the moon), so what would the third legendary represent? the Eclipse? That's just the moon blocking the sun.
We have precedents for this with Gold and Silver. Instead of a third legendary, they "promoted" a lower level legendary for Crystal.
And even if there IS a third legendary, its no guarantee that it'll get a game. Look at poor Zygarde...

Unless...

Second Theory; Pokemon Z is in Generation 7

A LOT of people are suggesting that Sun and Moon will tie back to Kalos some how, because of Zygardes new formes. Though we don't know much (anything) about how those formes are achieved, all we do know is-they are coded into the games.
What if that's just so Zygarde can be traded in later, without crashing the game? (Like ??? Arceus, and AZs Floette)
We can head back to Kalos (perhaps chasing the new Team whatever, who want to use the Super Weapon) and see an expanded pokedex that now includes gen 7 Pokemon as well (Maybe in the warmer, sunnier (more tropical?) south of France/kalos region).

Am I Crazy? Am I just being stupid? Do i even believe these theories myself? What do you think?

With the way Gen VI went, I'm not really sure how this generation will go. In Gen VI, we got X and Y as well as Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. If the trend of remaking games continues, its possible that we could see Diamond and Pearl remade even. What surprisingly didn't happen though was Gen VI didn't get a 3rd game or sequel like Gen V got. We had a huge set up, given the reveal of Zygarde's other forms as well as the anime becoming XY&Z, though we didn't get a Pokemon Z. After this happened, I'm honestly not sure what's going to happen this time.

I think Zygarde would be in the post game in Sun and Moon. The third legendary, Marshadow, might have a post game story in Sun and Moon since third versions haven't been around since Platinum. I don't think we would get third version games again but rather a post game story for the legendary that is the third of the legendary trio.

Obviously, we haven't seen any other legendaries yet, but- what if there isn't a third legendary?
Trademarks for Solgaleo, Lunaala(Lunala in English), Nyabbi(Litten, Ashimari(Popplio), Mokurou(Rowlet) and Marshadow were found back in April. Since the first five ended up being true, and due to the "shadow" part, a lot of people are theorising that Marshadow is going to be our "eclipse" mon and thus this gen's third legendary.

But of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to have it's own game but still.....
Pokemon Z is in Generation 7
Considering that they said in e3 that Zygarde is going to have it's own side story, i don't think "Z" should be expected anymore.
since third versions haven't been around since Platinum
They don't have to make traditionnal third versions in the vein of crystal/emerald/platinum to expand a legendary's role. Sequels like BW2 can also expand a third legendary.

Last edited:
Here we go again. :p

I actually wouldn't be totally shocked to see a Kalos game roll around this generation. It's an idea I've kicked around in my head before, and while I don't think "Z" would have ever worked in Gen VI, making the "Kalos revisit" game a part of Gen VII is something that I could picture working rather well if done creatively. Of course, I don't expect it would be about Zygarde - it would have to be more surprising/interesting than that.

I maintain that its either going to be Sinnoh Remakes in 2018 or Kanto 20 years later in 2017. No way are they going to go back to 3rd versions after thr sequels in gen 5 or the lack of a revisit t9 Kalos in gen 6.

or Kanto 20 years later in 2017
While that's certainly a possibility, i personally don't see them happening in 2017 because 1) After the 20th anniversary(which is this year, that is), there is no real reason for game freak/nintendo/TPC to randomly promote Kanto in 2017(especially since this year already had a lot of Kanto merch) and 2) Both HGSS and ORAS, both being a revisit to older regions, were made mainly because of fanservice(yes i know that HGSS and ORAS were remakes and not sequels, but sequels are still a revisit to an older region). So unless there's a huge demand from the fans for another Kanto game, i very much doubt we're getting Kanto sequels in 2017.

Last edited:
I don't see a huge demand for any hypothetical games so far, so that logic doesn't work. And I would say that sequels don't require fan demand nearly as much as remakes due to the surprise factor.

Last edited:
I don't see a huge demand for any hypothetical games so far, so that logic doesn't work.
No you're missing the point.

My point was that game freak only revisits older regions when there's a lot of fan demand to revisit(FRLG and the vc releases being exceptions, the former because it was created to solve the lack of backwards compability between gen 2 and 3 and the latter because it was Kanto's 20th anniversary).
Silktree said:
And I would say that sequels don't require fan demand nearly as much asremakes due to the surprise factor.
But don't you think it's a bit random to release sequels in 2017 for a region that was created 20 year ago?

My point was that game freak only revisits older regions when there's a lot of fan demand to revisit(FRLG and the vc releases being exceptions, the former because it was created to solve the lack of backwards compability between gen 2 and 3 and the latter because it was Kanto's 20th anniversary).
They only cited fan demand as the reason for ORAS (it seems that initially they did plan another Kalos release instead). I recall GS' tenth anniversary being mentioned for HGSS.

The question that Game Freak should ask themselves is: Do they want to give Kanto the sequel treatment eventually? If so, why wait long after the 20th anniversary? The VC games have made it possible for even the younger generation to be familiar with the original games, and Go is likely to bring back a decent percentage of retired players back to the series. There arguably won't be a better time for sequels than this generation. Why are we getting Sun and Moon this year instead? Because an old region can't very well kick off a new generation, and it is time to move on from Generation VI (Game Freak clearly want two generations per system).

For all we know, next year will see the addition of the original Johto games to the Virtual Console and Generation II Pokémon to Go, culminating in joint Kanto/Johto sequels in late 2017 or early 2018.

Icy Wind said:
But don't you think it's a bit random to release sequels in 2017 for a region that was created 20 year ago?
It will hardly be random as long as the VC games are recent. It seems fitting to release sequels in the generation that has reintroduced compatibility with the first generation.

Last edited:
It seems fitting to release sequels in the generation that has reintroduced compatibility with the first generation.
Fitting, maybe.

But we have to keep in mind that the only reason why the VC releases existed in the first place is because it was Kanto's twentieth anniversary. I wouldn't read too much into it, personnaly.

I think the anime xy&Z is our Z version. I mean it picks up right around where the plot differences would be the 7th gym. At the 7th gym zygarde is what Team flare are working towards and want to use him. This is exactly what would happen in our Z version. Even carrying around a core would be a plot point in what would have been Z I'm sure.

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure we need third versions anymore. It's a tradition of the series that more than a few people are not happy with. Besides, it'd be nice if that development time allowed the team to work on a console release instead.

I think the anime xy&Z is our Z version. I mean it picks up right around where the plot differences would be the 7th gym. At the 7th gym zygarde is what Team flare are working towards and want to use him. This is exactly what would happen in our Z version. Even carrying around a core would be a plot point in what would have been Z I'm sure.
Ok, i know that we can't truly know what would have happened in "Z" since it doesn't exist, but i should point out that the anime is very inaccurate of the games' lore. Kyurem, for exemple, is depicted in the anime as being able to transform into Black Kyurem/White Kyurem without needing either Zekrom or Reshiram.

The anime is based on the games guys, not the other way around. Even if they did make a "Z" version, i see no reason to expect it to follow the anime's plot.
It's a tradition of the series that more than a few people are not happy with.
If more than a few people are not happy with the tradition of third versions then they wouldn't have sold millions of copies.

Besides, no one is forcing people who don't like third versions to buy them anyway.
Besides, it'd be nice if that development time allowed the team to work on a console release instead.
The reason why they stopped making 3d console games is bevause the main series games have transited to 3d.

The reason why they stopped making 3d console games is bevause the main series games have transited to 3d.
I will forever stand by my opinion that that is a terrible reason to not create something. That's akin to saying "Well, we're only really good at making one thing and we've already made that thing so we're not going to make that thing again over here."

There are several pokemon spin off ideas they could develop for console. They just need to believe they can be successful.

There are several pokemon spin off ideas they could develop for console. They just need to believe they can be successful.
Ok then. However, it's not game freak that makes the spin off games, so the "Besides, it'd be nice if that development time allowed the team to work on a console release instead." is kind of a moot point.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom