• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you know won't happen but you hope for anyway

I think that it is a time for team rocket to play in the Pokemon League; because they had an experience in all regions, and cities. Jessie also played in the grand festival, and she reached to the semi final.

So, do you think guys that it is a time for them to play in the Pokemon leauge

Pikachu evolving.

Ash winning the league.

Ash and Serena getting married.

Steven Stone to appear again with upgraded hotness
Updating my wish list:

Gary appearing as the next region's professor and Ash's supporting helper throughout the season

Bonnie to grow up and challenge Ash as a trainer.

Bonnie to reappear as future Kalos champion with Zygarde as her ace pokemon.

Pokemon Ranger specials.

Ash- Pikachu. You're not cute enough. You're not powerful enough. You're not useful enough. You're a piece of dirt.
We need to improve you! *throws thunderstone*
*Pikachu evolves to Raichu*
Ash- Now, that's the Pokemon! We'll defeat everyone in our path!! *psychopath laugh*

I think he's comparing it to Brotherhood because that series was known to have significantly cut down the filler episodes that the 2003 anime had, the point that people accused it of being too quick and not allowing story arcs develop over a period of episodes.
...Actually, FMA03 happened because Awakawa didn't want the first anime adaptation to become endless filler adventures, and wanted them to make a new story instead. The video in question:

Pokemon Ranger specials.
Speaking of which, why wasn't there a Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon animated anything?

His game counterpart actually had a role/appearance in the Generation II games, which were a direct sequel to Generation I anyway. Combined with the Raikou special already giving the GSC protagonists their own form of spotlight, Satoshi's role in Jouto doesn't feel too out-of-place considering his game counterpart ends up on Mt. Silver, which would have been a nice parallel had the series ended there. I view it as the first of many post-extension good opportunities to retire him, but alas.

Oh yeah. I completely forgot about Red being in Mt. Silver. I'm not sure how I could do that given how it's one of the main features of the game people talk about, but in my defense, I don't think of Red when I think of Ash too often. Although, that does remind me of a discussion I read back during Johto. It was another Pokemon forum, but I remember people were talking about Ash being replaced and possibly staying in Mt. Silver like Red due to the second generation. This was well before the Johto League happened, but it is kind of interesting that the idea of Ash being replaced has been a topic since at least Johto.

FANG-TAN said:
There was a time between the sixth and seventh badges where the smooth pacing of the Kantou arc suddenly went bananas, with the group wandering around and accomplishing literally nothing for a while. I suspect that had the anime's half-year schedule went according to plan and maybe if the Pokemon Shock incident didn't occur, perhaps we would have seen a Rocket Gang confrontation as per the games during that period of time instead.

I'm not sure if they would have covered all of the Team Rocket events, especially given the trio's popularity and they probably wanted to keep the show going on longer by that point. At the very least, I could have seen them covering the Gamer Corner and Sliph Co events to some extent. That would have been pretty awesome. The Sliph Co. takeover in particular could have been really interesting since it was one of the more intense events of the original games.

FANG-TAN said:
It started a few months after the anime, which is even worse because the only manga source material the anime would have had was the Pocket Monsters gag manga.

I must have gotten the two dates for the manga mixed up. The gag manga definitely wouldn't have worked as source material for the anime. There are plenty of successful anime comedy series, but the anime probably wouldn't have lasted this long if it was primarily a comedy.

FANG-TAN said:
If it was any other anime based on a video game, maybe it would work (honestly most anime adaptations of video games just aren't that great anyway, with a few exceptions and even those aren't completely faithful). Just not Pokemon, because post-extension, the anime series is meant to run as long as the games or at least as long as it remains a viable source of brand promotion. Otherwise, I don't think game mechanics would be a problem. Which ones? I can see TMs not working, but Dengeki Pikachu managed to represent them pretty well.

However, the anime being faithful to the games in the sense of rotating protagonists, plus taking aspects from the games and creating a three year long plot with them similar to how Pocket Monsters Special handles its adaptation is something that I can see working. Honestly, another flaw the anime series has that's independent of Satoshi being the main character is that it has an identity crisis. The franchise in general has aspects that are typically found in stories aimed at a shounen audience and the anime doesn't really hide those aspects per se, but with it actually being aimed at a slightly younger audience, those aspects feel very repressed at the same time, showing large spurts of it occasionally and then remembering it's actually *not* shounen, dialing back the next minute. Feels rather imbalanced. Contrast with Pocket Monsters Special, which wholeheartedly embraces those shounen aspects and thrives in its arc-based content.

Yeah, that's another reason why just making the show exactly like the games wouldn't work. The anime is there to promote the games and they need to stretch each series out to promote the current generation. As for the game mechanics, I was thinking of stuff like stats, levels in terms of actual numbers and friendship levels not translating that well in the anime. TMs might also be kind of tricky. Those elements work fine in a video game, but in a show where Pokemon are treated more like living creatures, then it comes off a bit too jarring. I do remember an episode in DP where they did feature a friendship level feature and I felt that didn't work for the same reason. Plus, given how most Pokemon tend to be instantly friendly with their trainers in the show, using an item to gauge how strong their friendship doesn't quite work as well as it does in the games in my opinion.

While I still think it's far too late to replace Ash, had they gone in the Adventures route with replacing the main lead with every series and creating its own plot from the games in a similar vein to how that series adapts it, I agree that could have worked. Granted, I feel like Adventures does have a bit more freedom in a sense compared to the anime. They're both still aimed at the same target audience, but I think that they don't have the same kind of limitations as the anime does. Part of that is being able to change the leads around, but it also tends to experiment a bit more than the show, especially when most of the arcs have more than one main character whose goal is the main objective of the story, is able to and being a monthly series allows them more time to work on concepts. Although, that release schedule has also been an issue for the series. I'm still not sure if they ever got the second volume of the B2/W2 out there. I do love the anime, but I can see where you're coming from with the whole dialing back the shonen elements.

Updating my wish list:

Gary appearing as the next region's professor and Ash's supporting helper throughout the season

Bonnie to grow up and challenge Ash as a trainer.

Bonnie to reappear as future Kalos champion with Zygarde as her ace pokemon.

Pokemon Ranger specials.

While I didn't care for Bonnie for most of XY, I am still amazed that I actually felt bad that she wouldn't become a trainer within the show by the end of the series. Her bond with Squishy was genuinely touching, her love of Pokemon felt sincere and she had some really surprisingly good moments throughout the tail end of the series. It actually made me wish that she could just just become a trainer, which I don't think I ever felt about Max. Plus, she was already Dedenne's trainer practically, so I kind of wish that they had made that official by the end of the series. Clemont giving Bonnie Dedenne's Pokeball would have been nice at least. As sad as it was for Ash to say goodbye to Greninja, I thought it was way more heartbreaking for Bonnie to say goodbye to Squishy. At least Greninja has a pretty solid chance of coming back due to its popularity, but Bonnie getting Squishy back feels a lot less unlikely to happen unfortunately.

Also, I'd love Pokemon Ranger specials, especially when that would mean we'd get a new Ranger game, which I've wanted forever.

Speaking of which, why wasn't there a Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon animated anything?

Yeah, I was surprised with that too, especially when I think that the other Mystery Dungeon games got at least some kind of special. It's also still strange to me that they never tried for a Mystery Dungeon series. They probably aren't interested in spending the money for another full series, but the games are about talking Pokemon. That seems like it would be perfect as a thirteen or so episode series and kids would eat it up.

Yeah, I was surprised with that too, especially when I think that the other Mystery Dungeon games got at least some kind of special. It's also still strange to me that they never tried for a Mystery Dungeon series. They probably aren't interested in spending the money for another full series, but the games are about talking Pokemon. That seems like it would be perfect as a thirteen or so episode series and kids would eat it up.
...Only to break those kids' hearts at the end of those thirteen episodes. Even though my biggest problem with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is how it's too formulaic...

I also recall reading somewhere that the first Mystery Dungeon special was an order by Pokémon USA, which is why it aired in Japan almost a year after the US?

It is a time for the banned episodes to be released again; so we can see them. I want to see some of the pokemons that didn't appeared, or only appeared for one episode.

Ash also should catch one of the these three types: 1- for steel + 2- for Ghost + 3- for Psychic

I'm not sure if they would have covered all of the Team Rocket events, especially given the trio's popularity and they probably wanted to keep the show going on longer by that point. At the very least, I could have seen them covering the Gamer Corner and Sliph Co events to some extent. That would have been pretty awesome. The Sliph Co. takeover in particular could have been really interesting since it was one of the more intense events of the original games.
Not entirely sure when the decision to extend the anime was made, but I do wonder if at least a confrontation with Sakaki was planned. He was played up as becoming a major threat in the St. Anne arc, had all this development and buildup in the CD Drama/movie, and then... it led to nowhere. Granted it somewhat leads into the eventual Mewtwo specials in Jouto, but that obviously was way after they decided to extend the series.

As for the game mechanics, I was thinking of stuff like stats, levels in terms of actual numbers and friendship levels not translating that well in the anime.
Statistics already kind of do. I mean, with the anime being ongoing as it already is, obviously having a numbered level cap wouldn't work, because then they'd have a powerscale they'd have to abide by, i.e. makes no sense for a level 100 Pikachu to get beaten by anything at the beginning in the next series - it'd only have trouble with opponents towards the middle to the end of the series. But numbered stats wouldn't be too much of a problem. Going all the way back to tabletop RPGs, for example, a character with higher speed would end up having their attack connect (or miss) first while the character with the lower speed, supposedly attacking within the same time frame, hits second. And so on and so fourth. A Pokemon has low accuracy? Well, this other Pokemon has high evasiveness. So it easily dodges the attack unless there's something else on the field hindering its movement or the nature of the move simply makes it impossible to dodge (i.e. Tsubame Gaeshi).

The Pokemon battles in the games are basically a simulation of battle, with turns being instances in a short moment in time (I see Pokemon fans constantly misinterpret this as them standing around taking turns hitting each other, or thinking Solar Beam charges up too fast in the anime when it's a fairly accurate representation of what the games are simulating). Stats, more specifically attributes, represent the various aspects of the Pokemon's physical characteristics that decide how it will fare in a battle. Attack/Special Attack are a factor in battle. Speed is a factor in battle. Defense/Special Defense is a factor in battle. How many hits a Pokemon can take before they call it quits is a factor in battle, represented as Hit Points in the video games.

So honestly we already have "stats" in the anime without the actual numbers, although it does not abide to the statistics in the game all the time (nor does it really have to). Otherwise, it's not that ridiculous nor unrealistic that a Pokemon's attributes can be measured in numerics, we have ways of measuring biological capabilities in reality as well. The current anime can't do it, because then they'd have a powerscale to work with and that'd be more work for the writers. Actually, even with any other Pokemon medium, battles are probably more flexible and easier to write without abiding to exact numbers. But otherwise, I can see it working as long as they aren't writing at the seat of their pants. So regardless, with numbers or without, RPG statistics are simple to translate into an animation medium.

The A, B, C, D, E, etc. Servant stats, abilities, sills, and counters in Type-Moon's Fate series is executed perfectly fine and is believable in anime and novel format, for instance. The only RPG stat I can't see working real well are Hit Points, which is usually a measure of life (in Pokemon, it's a measure of the constitution used to continue the battle without literally killing yourself), as it's hard to write interesting battles while at the same time avoiding deus ex machinas or coming off as extremely arbitrary with actual numbers or a bar, or one-hit KO's all over the place, all as demonstrated in The Origin. Especially since Pokemon, in particular, doesn't really account for things such as, uh, being impaled or bleed damage to begin with, which would conflict with the games anyway.

TMs might also be kind of tricky. Those elements work fine in a video game, but in a show where Pokemon are treated more like living creatures, then it comes off a bit too jarring. I do remember an episode in DP where they did feature a friendship level feature and I felt that didn't work for the same reason. Plus, given how most Pokemon tend to be instantly friendly with their trainers in the show, using an item to gauge how strong their friendship doesn't quite work as well as it does in the games in my opinion.
The friendship level is more inherently game-y and is easily translated into an animation medium as, well... the friendship shown. I also personally don't believe friendship is measurable numerically; in reality, it's a lot more abstract.

TM's wouldn't be too hard to work with considering Pokemon are portrayed as strange, mysterious creatures which is consistent with all media variations within the franchise. It'd just be another way to contrast them with humans, as well as the other organisms we know of in real life. I'd personally portray TM's as tablets that the Pokemon can ingest, which contains specific properties that can grant Pokemon new abilities (techniques), but trying to make sense of the exact way it works in the games wouldn't be too hard either, since again, Pokemon are fantasy creatures and TM's are inherently a science fiction/fantasy element, so it doesn't necessarily demean their status as living creatures in the context of the fantasy setting. The only hurdle I see is reconciling the fact that the TM's are constantly changing each generation, which can easily be done by doing away with the numbers.

Last edited:
TM's wouldn't be too hard to work with considering Pokemon are portrayed as strange, mysterious creatures which is consistent with all media variations within the franchise. It'd just be another way to contrast them with humans, as well as the other organisms we know of in real life. I'd personally portray TM's as tablets that the Pokemon can ingest, which contains specific properties that can grant Pokemon new abilities (techniques), but trying to make sense of the exact way it works in the games wouldn't be too hard either, since again, Pokemon are fantasy creatures and TM's are inherently a science fiction/fantasy element, so it doesn't necessarily demean their status as living creatures in the context of the fantasy setting. The only hurdle I see is reconciling the fact that the TM's are constantly changing each generation, which can easily be done by doing away with the numbers.
I always thought TMs were like a disc drive that Poké Balls were inserted into.

Also, official media always says Pokémon are mysterious, but do any of those mysteries get solved?

I always thought TMs were like a disc drive that Poké Balls were inserted into.
Since Generation III, that's totally how they are portrayed in the games, but it's been portrayed differently in The Origin (they are floppy discs), PokeSpe (various items like rings, bracelets, scrolls, etc. that contain the inner potential/energy of the move taught to a Pokemon) and Dengeki Pikachu (a cubical device, when opened, give some sort of energy to Pokemon that lets them gain a new move), I was giving a take that I would personally do in a Pokemon anime/manga. My point is, with a little creativity, they could easily be incorporated into a medium other than the games. It is a fantasy setting, after all.

Last edited:
Not. Gonna. Happen.
Is Digimon even still around?
Did you check the title? This thread is the no. 1 place for unrealistic expectations.

Here's another one of mine-:
When I was approx. 10 year old, I wanted a Pokemon and Power Rangers (more specifically Super Samurai) crossover... I'd be happy if it ever became a reality, which it won't.

Not. Gonna. Happen.
Yes. It's on its second MMO and has a string of movies coming out.
And has spawned another sub series and an anime called Appli Monsters. The newer video games like Cyber Sleuth and Next Order are also better than Pokemon imo.

A Digital Monsters/Pocket Monsters crossover sounds badass. Imagine Brave Heart or WE ARE Xros Heart! playing during Mega Evolution...

Well, there were those dolls in ORAS that I can't remember the name of... the Hoenn Defence Squad?
That was Super Sentai reference. Power Rangers is based on Super Sentai, so yes, that counts.

I once saw fanart of an Appmon for Pokémon Go, and that's how I know about Applimon.

That was Super Sentai reference. Power Rangers is based on Super Sentai, so yes, that counts.
Fitting that we're talking about Power Rangers, seeing as the movie recently came out.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Glad to see you again, because you are the only one who answered me here. I know that it is an unblievable dream. but still I think they can call it "DigiPoke", or "PokeDigi".
And yup I meant yes, the new season for digimon reached the episode 23, or 24 something like this in the morning, which is called "Digimon Universe Appli Monsters". And also the Digimon Adventure tri finished the movie number four before 1 month, and now it will reach the movie 5 from 6 movies of Digimon Adventure 3

Yes. It's on its second MMO and has a string of movies coming out.
You are one of the people who liked my answer before, so I am happy to see your opinion to AnimePsyclone, who answered me. Well as you said the digimon is still in the anime, even if I think that the digimon adventure 3 is so boring, but I really loved the idea of "Digimon Universe Appli Monsters", and will see it again.

Well, what do you think of having a pokemon digimon movie?

Did you check the title? This thread is the no. 1 place for unrealistic expectations.

Here's another one of mine-:
When I was approx. 10 year old, I wanted a Pokemon and Power Rangers (more specifically Super Samurai) crossover... I'd be happy if it ever became a reality, which it won't.

Well, finally I saw someone gave me his opinion in one of my post, even if it is not to me in reality, but as long as it is to "AnimePsyclone" who answered me, then that's so fine with me. About the idea of pokemon, and power ranger, will I don't see a relationship between them. I can see a relationship between detective conan, and lobin, but power rangers doesn't similar to digimon. You can say a digimon, and Monster Rancher (Monster Farm) with digimon, and pokemon.

But Anyway, I really love this word "This thread is the no. 1 place for unrealistic expectations", and let's hope that you dream become true one day.

Well, there were those dolls in ORAS that I can't remember the name of... the Hoenn Defence Squad?

Such as what I said to "Nitro Indigo", even if it is not to me in reality, but as long as it is to "AnimePsyclone" who answered me, then that's so fine with me.

Hahaha, I can imagine, the relationship between Power Rangers, and Hoenn Defence Squad. Nice Answer. I think that I should followe you.

My biggest goal for the anime, the thing I want the most...

Tobias’s backstory. How’d he get Darkrai and Latios?

Well me friend, I like the idea of saying the story of the past of Tabias, and the story of catching Darkrai, and Latios. I really want to see a tobias, against brandon. I think that this match will be one of best matches. I want him to challenge cynthia also.

And has spawned another sub series and an anime called Appli Monsters. The newer video games like Cyber Sleuth and Next Order are also better than Pokemon imo.

A Digital Monsters/Pocket Monsters crossover sounds badass. Imagine Brave Heart or WE ARE Xros Heart! playing during Mega Evolution...

Such as I said to Such as what I said to "Nitro Indigo", and to "PkmnTrainerV", even if it is not to me in reality, but as long as it is to "AnimePsyclone" who answered me, then that's so fine with me.

Anyway, I did saw the video of Pokemon evolution in the term of the digimon evolution ways. I really like it, and it is so unbelievable, and so creative. The one who made it was so creative. Well, to me hearing pokemon songs, soundtracks, digimon songs, and soundtracks in this movie is good.

Also, about the digimon is still alive, then you are right; because both newer video games like Cyber Sleuth and Next Order, but I didn't play it; so I don't know if it is better that pokemon imo, or equal, or not; because i didn't play it until now.

Well, you do have a point here, there is a relationship between the realtionship between Power Rangers, and Hoenn Defence Squad

I once saw fanart of an Appmon for Pokémon Go, and that's how I know about Applimon.

Fitting that we're talking about Power Rangers, seeing as the movie recently came out.

I do love Appmon season. It is a new, and unexpected season. i really love it. It is a new season; so let's hope to see it in the Pokémon Go

What I would love to see is more side stories like chronicles since it seems almost more likely than old characters appearing in regular episodes (not that either is likely, which is why I am writing it in this thread). There are a litany of side stories I would love to see, but most of all I would like to see one that follows Serena in Hoenn for several episodes and have her meet May and travel with her a bit. The perfect way for it to go in my opinion would be Serena realizing when she gets to Hoenn that the current Grand Festival is about to start (so of course she will have a year and will try to compete in the next one), so she decides to go watch the Grand Festival to learn about it. May returns to compete in Hoenn after doing a lot of traveling and learning a lot. I think it would be cool if they met each other on the way to the Grand Festival and became friends (of course not realizing at first they both travelled with Ash, but unlike both Cilan specials, I would like them to realize it at some point). Anyway, my dream would be that May wins the grand festival, preferably beating Drew in the final, but that would probably just all be in one episode as there wouldn't be a lot of room for going slow in an SS. It would also be interesting for Dawn to maybe compete in the Grand Festival, but that might be too much. Anyway, I think afterward that May and Serena would get a long really well and maybe they would travel together a bit so Serena can learn from May, the newest Top Coordinator. Then a couple more SS type episodes with the two of them would follow, with the final one being Serena winning her first ribbon. Other interesting events that I would like to see happen with the two of them would be May finding a moon stone and evolving Skitty (maybe by accident even), and Serena catching at least one more Pokemon (ideas of Pokemon that can be caught in the area that would fit her include Marill, Mawile, Altaria, but there are a lot of other possibilities too). It would be really cool if Serena's ribbon even came against an old character from another region who happened to be competing in Hoenn at that time, my preference would be Ursula.

Of course there are a lot of other characters I would like to see featured in the various SS. Coming off XY, Sawyer would be a pretty good idea for one, but I would most want to see older ("forgotten") characters. Anyway, of course none of this is going to happen, but it would be really cool. I do feel though that Serena will get some sort of screen time at some point, be it an SS or some return to the main show, but sadly I don't think we can say the same for May or a lot of other interesting characters anymore.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom