• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tier Discussion

DCM

Man Skilled In All Ways of Contending
Reaction score
Until Tiers are officially announced and set in stone (as much as a tier can be set in stone) use this thread to discuss Generation V tiers.

One question, is this for Smogon tiers, or the future Bulbagarden tiers?

Hmm...right now they are all bad x__x

I've noticed that UU in particular is quite unbalanced. Kyurem, Victini, Staraptor, Chansey, and Mew are all too much to handle right now. I hope that the first round of bans will fix most of this.

I was looking forward to UU at first, but I didn't even bother after I saw what was still allowed in it. I think most, if not all, of those will be gone from UU shortly :D

My biggest concern right now with UU's tiering is that Smogon may decide to ban Drought instead of Victini. Drought may very well be broken as an individual ability, but Victini is, in my opinion, broken regardless of whether or not it has team support in the form of Drought.

EDIT: *Victini is broken in UU

Last edited:
I agree, and hopefully BL will be a bit bigger than last gen.

Actually, from what I've seen (the new usage stats just came out) everyone expected Victini to jump into OU on its own, thanks to V-generate. It did gain a boost in usage, but I it would have gone up if Blaziken stayed (making sun more viable). Now that sun isnt viable people arent using it, instead things like darmitan (CB reckless flareblitz is as strong if not stronger). It probably will get banned, since tbh its like the one thing my UU team can keep switching into.

It is counterable though. Rhyperior counters it well, as does milotic and thick fat azumaril (who uses think fat azumaril though?)

BL will definately have about the same amount of Pokemon as OU did last Gen, around 55. I could see OU reaching up to 75 to even 100 Pokemon. UU might function with about 125 Pokemon. With NU having about 150. I can also see al lot of NFE's rising up to UU, such as Duosion.

They need to make a BL. I'm also surprised that Milotic is getting used as much as it is.

I love using UU Pokemon, so seeing Scrafty, one of my favorites, in the OU list saddens me a little.

What? BL having 50+ pokemon? you realize they have a period of testing and then a vote where they can ban each one. If each ban takes a month, and they ban 2 pokemon a month (unlikely), it would take over 2 years to ban that much stuff. Not to mention that things get retested after a certain amount of time in BL and usually there are never 2 bans a month. 55 things are certainly not overpowered from UU. Oh yeah, and stuff can be used enough in OU to move up. BL should contain no more than 20 pokemon. There probably will be a tier between UU and NU from Smogon as well.

sorry for the double post, but this prob needs a new post.

(Pokémon) Rarely Used (RU) Tier - Smogon Community

Smogon (or, more specifically, Rising Dusk) decided to start an RU tier, if nothing else just to test. rarely used is effectively the NU for now, although NU should come next month or in two. Meanwhile, We can all play this. It looks really cool, if you ask me, although I cant see how gorebyss fell down here. Wobbu can do some stuff down here. Hail has a monopoly over weather too. So, are you guys gonna try this out? What are you gonna use?

Looks like it's time to start a Fire-team. There are probably more than enough Fire types in that tier, due to Stealth Rock in such.

It's worth noting that Moltres, arguably the best fire-type sweeper in the 4th generation UU tier, will be available for use in this new tier.

RU looks interesting at best right now, I'm waiting for the tiers to be more firmly set before I play it.

New Topic: What, if anything, would you like to see banned during this round of OU suspect voting?

When I looked through the Suspect Nominations topic on Smogon, I noticed that several highly skilled players are nominating one or more weather-inducing abilities to be banned. In order to prevent weather-related bans such as those from occurring, I would personally like to see some of the most prominent weather abusers such as Garchomp, Thundurus, and Excadrill being banned from OU. I think the metagame is fairly stable right now and, if I were involved in the voting process, I would rather ban a few specific threats than ban entire playstyles.

New Topic: What, if anything, would you like to see banned during this round of OU suspect voting?

When I looked through the Suspect Nominations topic on Smogon, I noticed that several highly skilled players are nominating one or more weather-inducing abilities to be banned. In order to prevent weather-related bans such as those from occurring, I would personally like to see some of the most prominent weather abusers such as Garchomp, Thundurus, and Excadrill being banned from OU. I think the metagame is fairly stable right now and, if I were involved in the voting process, I would rather ban a few specific threats than ban entire playstyles.
To be honest, I think Sigilyph should be in OU, if he's not already. The Flame Orb set just dominates everyone.

Not everyone, my Lum Berry Scizor takes it on pretty well,

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom