• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Tutorials, Resources, and Tips

Shiay

Actual Cannibal Shiay LaBeouf
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This thread will be our go to thread so that we can help each other sharpen and improve our artistic crafts.

All tutorials and resources will be taken from user posts and will be put up here in the first post so that people don't have to tear this thread apart looking for any one thing in particular.

One thing I'd like to be making clear is that if you are posting a tutorial and/or resource, to be crediting the person or site that it comes from with a link to their page. This doesn't exactly apply if you're the person that made a tutorial.

Here's a list of allowed tutorials and resources that you can post:

Tutorials:
  • How to colour
  • How do make clean lineart
  • How to draw [insert subject matter here]
  • Lighting and Shading
  • Anatomy
  • Spriting
  • Video Program how-tos
  • Music Program how-tos
  • Various media platform tutorials
Resources:
  • Brushes
  • Fonts
  • Textures
  • Templates
  • Stock
  • Music (Free to use, not copy-righted)
  • Free multimedia programs

This is actually all I can be thinking up of at the moment, so if there's any other kinds of things that you think should be added to these lists, I'll add them to them. In the meantime, I look very forward to seeing any and everyone out there to be posting what it is that they use as references when they go to be doing what they do. :)

Art Tutorials:

Resources:

DesignFruit (have resources for anything listed here, which is why they're not in a category)

Brushes:

Fonts

Textures

Templates
Nothing yet

Stock
Nothing here, sorry!

For Spriters:

Other:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do sprite tutorials belong here?

^ Yes, and I will post one.
For this tutorial, I will teach you how to make a revamp. I will be using a Bulbasaur from the Yellow version. Let's look at it for a second:
Spr_1y_001.png

Yuck. That needs fixing up.
First, paste the Bulbasaur and an advance-gen sprite of it into your image editor. I would like to show them side by side, but I use a layered editor (no, it isn't Photoshop) so the best I have is this:
spritetutorial1.png

Now zoom in, recolor and make the outlines black.
spritetutorial2.png

Still... Yuck. Now you get rid of the clusters of black and shade the bulb.
spritetutorial3.png

Then improve the shading and add some extra details.
spritetutorial4.png

Next, shade the outlines and you're done!
bulbasaurrevamp.png

Congratulations on your first revamp!

And on the third, fourth and fifth images, you may have seen a black pixel around the bottom-right. That was my pencil tool, sorry about that.

One thing I'd like to be making clear is that if you are posting a tutorial and/or resource, to be crediting the person or site that it comes from with a link to their page. Remember, artists always love it when you credit them -- not to mention you'll have less angry people with you if someone wants to check out more of their stuff. This doesn't exactly apply if you're the person that made a tutorial.

What's even worse for you at the moment is that I actually know the person that made this, DemandInCompensation as we're both competitors in the Pokémon Ultimate Battle Frontier that's being held on deviantART. I'm really positive that she wouldn't like not being credited for something. :C

Keep this in mind for future tutorial and/or resource posts, please.

What's even worse for you at the moment is that I actually know the person that made this, DemandInCompensation as we're both competitors in the Pokémon Ultimate Battle Frontier that's being held on deviantART. I'm really positive that she wouldn't like not being credited for something. :C

Keep this in mind for future tutorial and/or resource posts, please.
Ahh.. okay. Sorry about that. \I just looked on google for the picture, and found a random one xD

Last edited:
Lists updated with new Textures, Fonts, Tutorials and Stock links as of Tuesday, June 1st, 2010.

Remember to report any broken links to me.

Recolours:
Hi there, and today I'm showing you how to do recolours. Now, my eyes bleed when I see a recolour where no shading is done at all, and everything is just a few colours. For example:

Isn't it horrible?

Firstly, the basics. Choose your pokemon sprite, and then choose what colours you want to make it. I'm gonna stick with Bonsly and the red and blue colours, so some good pokemon to use is...

Toxicroak!

Now that you have your pokemon that will change it's colour, and the pokemon you'll get the colour from, you can compare the colours. Just use the eyedrop tool on both pokemon, and get all the colours together.

On the left is Bonsly's colours, on the right is Toxicroak's colours. So now we've got the colours together, let's do the recolouring! Just use left click the original colours with the eyedrop tool, on right click the new colours with the eyedrop tool as well. After you've done, use the eraser, hold down right click, and hover over the original colour to change it. Slowly do with each colour into you get the finished product:

That's much better than the original attempt. Just keep on following these steps, and your recolours should be better.

Recolours:
Hi there, and today I'm showing you how to do recolours. Now, my eyes bleed when I see a recolour where no shading is done at all, and everything is just a few colours. For example:

Isn't it horrible?

Firstly, the basics. Choose your pokemon sprite, and then choose what colours you want to make it. I'm gonna stick with Bonsly and the red and blue colours, so some good pokemon to use is...

Toxicroak!

Now that you have your pokemon that will change it's colour, and the pokemon you'll get the colour from, you can compare the colours. Just use the eyedrop tool on both pokemon, and get all the colours together.

On the left is Bonsly's colours, on the right is Toxicroak's colours. So now we've got the colours together, let's do the recolouring! Just use left click the original colours with the eyedrop tool, on right click the new colours with the eyedrop tool as well. After you've done, use the eraser, hold down right click, and hover over the original colour to change it. Slowly do with each colour into you get the finished product:

That's much better than the original attempt. Just keep on following these steps, and your recolours should be better.

Here's a video of the eraser trick.

can someone add a tutorial for making pics transperent

does anybody know a good program i could use to make a background transparent?

i've got GIMP, but it stopped working. i used it to make the image in my signature transparent a while ago. i tried opening my new image in GIMP, but i got an error message. i tried reinstalling the software, but it froze... so i won't bother trying again, since my computer is SO slow and corrupted.

thankkkksssss.

does anybody know a good program i could use to make a background transparent?

i've got GIMP, but it stopped working. i used it to make the image in my signature transparent a while ago. i tried opening my new image in GIMP, but i got an error message. i tried reinstalling the software, but it froze... so i won't bother trying again, since my computer is SO slow and corrupted.

thankkkksssss.

Try splashup. Ehh, I hate it, but it's easy to use. Just open your image, change the opacity to 0%, and fill in the background. Then just save it.

http://www.splashup.com/splashup

i want to learn how to sprite!!! can somebody teach me?? pls..

Back
Top Bottom