• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

VG Weekly Poll #9: Who was the hardest Gym Leader?

Clair. Whitney I think is more annoying than hard and there are Pokemon you can catch around the area to help you, but no one really seems to.

Clair on the other hand, unless you got a Dratini from the game corner and raised it up pretty high, you're probably screwed against unless you get your guys up to a very high level.

Gen I: Misty. The noise that Bubblebeam makes in Gen I haunts me to this day.
Gen II: Whitney, Jasmine and Clair all pwned me for such a long period of time.
Gen III: Norman, Flannery and Winona. Not so much in Emerald, but on Sapphire, oh boy...
Gen IV: Oddly enough, I beat all of the Johto Gym Leaders first time around on SS. I was so psyched for some epic matches too.

I'll have to pick Wattson in Emerald, such a dangerous Gym Leader that early. His Magneton was bad enough in Ruby/Sapphire, but to also give him a Manectric in the remake is downright cruel. Only Geodude and Marshtomp are any good against him.

Brawly and winona. I'm so glad in sapphire you didnt lose money when you lost.

For me, it was probably Clair in G/S/C. Her Kingdra.

Her freaking Kingdra!

I did a dance when I finally beat her.

Two things I hated about Clair
On HG/SS anyway
I always thought I won and there was one more Pokemon left lol
And the other is when I lost I had to keep going through that code

Whitney and that Rollout...

Generation 1: Misty
Generation 2: Whitney & Morty
Generation 3: Norman (Ruby), Tate & Liza (Emerald)
Generation 4: Candice
Generation 5: Lenora

Wattson in Generation 3 was f*cking annoying if you didn't choose Mudkip or you forgot to pick up a Geodude at the cave.

Also, Clair and her Kingdra were so difficult no matter what generation they were in.

I don't think there were any easy Gym Leaders in R/S/E. Roxanne was actually quite tough for a Rock leader. The Nosepass was quite sturdy and when it got up enough Hardens and Potions it was down right impossible to harm - not to mention that those Rock Slides were quite powerful for a first Gym. Brawly could wreck shit up if either of his Pokemon got up a Bulk Up. Wattson used parafussion hax to dismember my team completely. Then, when you can't attack those Voltorb's with their Sonicboom would 3hko or 4hko everything, even Marshtomp; his Manectric was also a great sweeper for him. Then Lavaridge Gym leader was a dick with her White Herb and Overheat combo on Torkoal, but the Slugma weren't bad at all.

The second half brought along Norman whose Slaking and Vigoroth did some serious damage, despite being unable to attack every turn. Spinda was a lulzy addition in Emerald. Winona was an absolute nightmare. I remember her team being so balanced. Swellow did a huge amount of damage in general, Altaria destroyed those Manectric everyone tried with its neutrality to Electric moves and Earthquake, Pelliper was quite bulky with Stockpile and ruined Fire types... and with Fire and Electric types out of the way, Skarmory wrecked even more havoc. Tate and Liza were seriously awesome and unique with double battles. I remember being wowed by the Claydol/Xatu Earthquake combo and they worked great together as a team. Wallace wasn't overly tough, but he was still quite good. Plus, he made even Luvdisc useful which is awesome.

Whitney was definitely the hardest gym leader to beat cause Quilava would die from Rollout...

Whitney, Norman, and Miss Volt Switch! (Elesa)
Clair wasn't too bad, I lost to Norman four times, and Elesa twice! Curse you!

Fantina was too hard; I was SO unprepared for her Mismagius the first time I played.....i went through practically all of my super potions at the time :/

All the other gym leaders I faced were relatively very easy, the 2nd most challenging though was the 8th gym leader in D/P/Pt. I forgot his name, but he was stronger than 3 of the elite four IMO

I usually over-level myself with insane amounts of grinding between gyms, but even with my team at 5-8 levels over hers I had a ton of trouble with Lenora in Black. :/ That Retaliate move is a killer.

Brock in Yellow. Level grinding pokemon with moves that were "not very effective" against Brock was an added pain.

Blah.

Lenora and Norman. For some reason I always struggle with the normal type gym leaders...

Whitney like mentioned before (because I had no fighting type)
AND of course, Elesa but that's way she's the best
I hope in Gen VI all the gym leaders are though

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom