• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your expectations for Team Rocket?

Why are they even still here? I grasp Team Rocket is a franchise stable, but new generations are typically aimed at kids in Japan (not saying adults can't enjoy it) and many kids likely won't care. Is there more to Team Rocket in Japan than I realize? Like, are they some commercial selling point?

For me, why not make them appear less one gen? Might be a fresh idea.

Why are they even still here?
Welcome to the forums Kagami, it's time for some education.
I grasp Team Rocket is a franchise stable, but new generations are typically aimed at kids in Japan (not saying adults can't enjoy it) and many kids likely won't care.
Kids love the TRio.
Next.
Is there more to Team Rocket in Japan than I realize?
Like when everyone was pissed off about BW Rockets including the seiyuu and they created the radio show which was an unexpected success?
Like, are they some commercial selling point?
Do you think that they aren't? Would the money-minded Pokemon anime bother with them if they didn't feel they were profitable? Nyasu is an obvious cash cow and, in all but name, the second mascot to the franchise.
For me, why not make them appear less one gen? Might be a fresh idea.
Please see BW.

@Kanji - I never watched Gen 5, but didn't realize they were that popular with the children because I thought they'd more popular with men/women who watched the older seasons because they are such a stable and easy nostalgia. I can see why kids love the trio, but didn't think kids would care if they were removed and changed since most young kids probably havent watched most seasons (especially older ones). I can only speak as a veteran (anime) fan so obviously my opinion is irrelevant to the market Pokemon is produced for, but I've been bored of them lately. I'm not against them staying since they honestly bring me back to my childhold, but I'd love to see more of Giovanni! His movies and roles in specials have been good.

Guess mention doesn't work here, good to know.

@Kagami mention works just fine, you just have to type the user's username as written ;)

They are stable and easy nostalgia, but on the top-most surface layer they embody the pantomime villains and slapstick humour which children love. You don't need to have an established relationship with the characters and their arcs to enjoy their antics of an episode.

I think kids who watch the show would care if they were replaced (the BW experiments did enough damage) and anyway what would be the point? Other characters leave because:
a. they no longer promote the current games - Team Rocket were done with 5 gens ago so if they didn't do it then... (Plus replacing them with new villain team grunts would only serve to screw over that organisation's story!)
b. their goal is achieved/arc is over - N/A
c. they have become redundant - YMMV but they do move the plot along is most episodes
d. the actors want to move on - considering their seiyuus are so into this that they haven't even been credited as themselves but as their characters in the recent singles...

I rather have the evil teams of other regions as the villains of those regions than to see TR again and again. TR basically fails to catch Pikachu every region just like Ash fails to win a league every region.

@ii kanji - Is there any legal way to listen to Team Rocket's radio show? You got me curious and I'd love to listen to it if I would be able to even if its obviously Japanese.

@ii kanji - Is there any legal way to listen to Team Rocket's radio show? You got me curious and I'd love to listen to it if I would be able to even if its obviously Japanese.
I honestly don't know and am waiting for someone to show me any legal (or otherwise) way myself as I wasn't around when they happened so have only heard bits and pieces.
(If anyone knows a way please PM me, and Kagami!)

Yep, they're back to being total goofballs again.

Though at least they're total goofballs with some ambition!

And after that total creeper face the Boss made, I'm SO wanting a guest stint now...
upload_2016-11-27_21-25-20.png

C'mon, OLM! Stop using him as a vague plot device and let him actually DO every now and then. (Make dem Aether and Skull bishes bow before a superior pimp!)

Though is Bewear going to join them (James' poke for the saga?), or just bail them out at the last second in place of blasting off? o_O

Last edited:
I honestly don't know and am waiting for someone to show me any legal (or otherwise) way myself as I wasn't around when they happened so have only heard bits and pieces.
(If anyone knows a way please PM me, and Kagami!)

PM me too!

The only "legal" way to listen to Rocket Gang's Secret Empire to is buy them. There has not been any Japanese, uncut or otherwise, releases of anything related to the anime ever in the west, not even online or on Netflix (even the uncut Japanese Digimon Adventure and Digimon Tamers are available on those platforms).

Rocket Gang sticks around in the anime series for the same reason Satoshi sticks around. Using the logic of new kids not caring about characters they're not familiar with, they would have done away with Satoshi a long time ago and went with new protagonists (some still argue that direction would have been just as valid, but that's opening another can of worms). Clearly, that's not the case, at least in OLM's opinion. Also, you appear to be an anime fan, so you must realize how famous Hayashibara Megumi and Miki Shin'ichirou are outside of Pocket Monsters. Their individual performances on various series such as Slayers, Fullmetal Alchemist, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Fate/stay night, The Vision of Escaflowne, etc. are all well-recieved and Pocket Monsters is no different. The Rocket Gang trio has some serious seiyuu cred.

Last edited:
TR's problem in BW wasn't them appearing less. Some episodes actually benefit from their abscence (stories don't need bad guys hijacking them all the time).
It was their (lack of) personality.

So even though I also like TR as goofballs I'm on the side that they should appear a bit less often. Not saying I expect them to but oh well no biggie.

If we don't count their short scene in SM007, they haven't appeared for 50% of episodes.

I enjoy Team Rocket, I just don't want every episode of the series to be about them trying to steal Pikachu. They serve as great comedic relief and I like it when they attempt to interfere with the COD's life in some way or just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get sent blasting off.

That and I hope Bewear chasing them wanting a hug continues to be a gag throughout the series. Part of me wants to believe James will catch it and it will serve the role that his previous grass types played.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom