• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your game headcanons?

Surely. But I was more thinking about how she would think Team Galactic is copying her theme naming, even though Team Galactic is using planet names which also happen to be named after roman deities ^^;

I got that, but that's just it, I don't think she thinks her name fits a planet theme. I think she thinks it fits a beauty theme.

Glad to see some more Colosseum/XD headcanons here ! Although I only know enough about the first game that I can actually headcanon about.

Well if you don't know who Lovrina is and don't understand mine, you can at least look her up on Bulbapedia to get the gist of who she is.

Mega evolution was created by Pokemon's version of norsemen.

The successory is in pokemon's version of normandy, aka the land of the normans.

Gigantamaxing is a hybrid technique born from combining mega evolution with conventional gigantamaxing, likely born from a danegeld-like period.

Ferrum was the first place to practice pokemon training. The more feral, combative style of training is a holdover from this ancient style.

All of spain and portugal's minority languages exist in paldea. Inhabitants of the northeastern coast speak basque, southeasterner speak catalan, so on and so forth.

Arven is the equivalent of a Basque, and so are the proffessors. Basque is theorised to be the world's oldest language.

I wanna preface that this headcanon is based on a near similarity between a translation of the headcanon's subject's name and a french actor, and isn't meant to be taken too seriously. don't hesitate to utilize it if you think it's fitting though, I won't stop y'all !

Steven Stone is extremely clumsy. When searching for rare stones to collect, he has to make sure nothing gets in his way so he won't trip over something or accidentally push an object in order to avoid breaking stuff. In fact, the clumsiness has reached an all-time high when during a visit in Kalos to find information on the Mega Stones, Steven would keep on tripping and almost ends up falling over numerous times during his stay in the region, to the point where a Kalosian actor thought it'd be a good idea to play a character with that sort of clumsiness with added bad luck in a movie. Not only was the movie well received, but Steven Stone himself liked the movie and approved of the inspiration.

(For context, Steven Stone's french name is "Pierre Rochard", which is almost letter for letter similar to french actor "Pierre Richard", who plays a lot of clumsy or unlucky characters, sometimes both)

Erika is lesbian and, in addition to being a Gym Leader and teaching flower-arranging, she also volunteers at an LGBT community center when she can.
Something I stumbled upon a few months ago while playing Masters EX that could relate to this headcanon....

I didn't take any screenshots but I searched up where images of this could be as I supposed people would screenshot this.

Colress switches sides constantly to further his own research, he doesn't care who he helps as long as that individual helps his research. He joined some other group before Team Plasma and he will keep on joining whichever side furthers his research. Basically, he's a true neutral character.

Unova once had a monarchy, but given that monarchy was responsible for war and the split of the Original Dragon, that system was eventually abandoned. Not even a dual monarchy was something the people of Unova wanted.

Also, the DNA Splicers is a part of the Original Dragon, given why it's needed for the fusion and how it's specifically shown to be absorbed by Kyurem before fusing.

The Legends Arceus website suggests that Origin Form Palkia and Dialga have their own dimensions they reside in like their brother Giratina. Based on the descriptions I have inferred that the reason we never visit them is because unlike the Distortion World they are completely inhospitable for other lifeforms. Dialga's world screws with your aging to such an extent that you will never get out, being kept in place and tortured by endless shifts: Within 3 seconds you go through your entire remaining lifespan up to old age only to pop back into a fetus, then you become your own grandson, then revert back to middle age, so on and so forth. Palkia's world, meanwhile, simply tears you apart at the subatomic level

The Legends Arceus website suggests that Origin Form Palkia and Dialga have their own dimensions they reside in like their brother Giratina. Based on the descriptions I have inferred that the reason we never visit them is because unlike the Distortion World they are completely inhospitable for other lifeforms. Dialga's world screws with your aging to such an extent that you will never get out, being kept in place and tortured by endless shifts: Within 3 seconds you go through your entire remaining lifespan up to old age only to pop back into a fetus, then you become your own grandson, then revert back to middle age, so on and so forth. Palkia's world, meanwhile, simply tears you apart at the subatomic level
How does the Distortion World just not nuke the human characters with antimatter?

A lot of completely wack stuff coming from me that I've built up throughout this past month. Here goes!

I believe Reshiram and Zekrom were responsible for Entralink's creation, as it's part of Unova and the region was created by them.

In addition, the manga showed a direct connection between the Light/Dark Stones and Dream World, including a moment where White (Hilda) got dragged into Dream World by being absorbed into the Light Stone. As we know the Light Stone and Dark Stones are just Reshiram and Zekrom's body shifted into a rock, this may suggest the two are entities of dreams.

Reshiram and Zekrom resemble human desires, aspirations, and wishes. They exist in attempt to help fulfill humanity's wishes even if it means great sacrifice to their well-being.

Based on Sword and Shield's dex entries, Kyurem is likely a byproduct, present to enforce either Reshiram's or Zekrom's philosophy to reign over the other and decide the world's fate. Reshiram and Zekrom are equal forces. Neither can overcome the other. With Kyurem however, one will overcome the other.

If I got you with this headcanon, I might lose you with this next one.

================================================================================================

Lockstin made a significant theory about a universal reset happening after the Alola games, leading us back to Kanto. This was primarily based on how Gamefreak utilized Alchemy references from Generation 6 and the build-up for Sun and Moon. Shockingly enough they actually did this with LGPE, and even had a unique diagram to show how LGPE's universe was created, in a way that heavily suggests Arceus had no direct connection with the creation of LGPE universes.

The video does not address what I'm about to say. I believe Pokémon used the 4 Ethers of Archeus as part of their way to build up a hard reset in the direction Pokémon's franchise would take from there.

From wikipedia:
"In alchemy, Archeus, or archaeus, is a term used generally to refer to the lowest and most dense aspect of the astral plane which presides over the growth and continuation of all living beings. The term was used by medieval Paracelsus and those after him, such as Jan Baptist van Helmont.[1]

To define it, the philosophers maintained that the Archeus was the segment of the closest quadrant of the higher worlds which blends with some similarity to the highest vibrations of our physical world. Essentially it was seen as the gray area wherein matter, speaking parallel and not laterally, begins to transmute into spiritual energies. In effect, it is the glue which binds the heavens to the material, and so allows the maxim as above, so below."

Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem could resemble the Reflective Ether, because the Reflective Ether is based on the reflections of human memory, imagination, desires, and perception, much like what the aforementioned suggests. Kyurem is thrown into this off all 3 originally being one whole entity.

Xerneas could resemble the Life Ether, as it creates life energy and distributes it to give life to its surroundings.

Yveltal could resemble the Chemical Ether. This is a long one to explain so hear me out.

Yveltal p1:
Both Xerneas and Yveltal are of equal influence and all living beings under the description of Ethers contain both the Chemical and Life Ether. The Chemical Ether consists of energies responsible for perpetuation of chemical actions in the world existing. This could generally mean evolution and Mega Evolution, and can be backed up by how Mega Evolution was formed through Pokemon Life energy being weaponized (like a chemical), then spread throughout the universe, only for chunks of it to radiate into stones, changing them into Mega Stones, like a chemical reaction.

Yveltal p2:
Something else that supports this is an explanation in Magearna and The Mechanical Marvel, explaining why the megas in that movie were going through so much pain. Under normal circumstances of Mega Evolution, when Mega Evolution is performed correctly, the Pokémon radiates in a blue aura and is able to hold itself together very well without seeming to be in pain. This blue aura is said to be Xerneas's power. When Mega Evolution is not performed correctly, typically through the lack of proper connection between trainer and Pokémon, the Pokémon radiates in a red aura and is left feeling intense amounts of pain. The movie said that red aura comes from Yveltal's energy, which makes sense as the games claim that both Xerneas and Yveltal's powers are what's responsible for the effects of Mega Evolution. Chemical effects tend to often cause pain, so perhaps this makes another connection.

Yveltal p3:
In alchemy, the aura of Life Ether is a streaming blue and white light. The aura of Chemical Ether is a red. This could directly tie in to Xerneas's aura being blue and Yveltal's being red. This could also reflect their Fairy Aura and Dark Aura abilities.

Zygarde would not necessarily tie into the 4 Ethers of Archeus. It is simply present to mediate the influence of Xerneas and Yveltal and act as the ultimate guard of Pokémon's realms. It exists to ensure life on Earth remains sustainable and balanced, with not too many creatures but also not so little to where ecosystems are completely destroyed.

Zygarde either strikes if people, Pokémon, objects, or any sort of substances are directly causing harm to ecosystems from within, as Yveltal can't really do anything without just doing more damage, and Xerneas's case ends in a repetitive loop, or it strikes when there is a force that is actively causing imbalance to the world's ecosystems to an extreme degree.

To elaborate on this, if Kyogre awakens and gains overwhelming amounts of power but then gets stopped before the damage it commits becomes too much for a population to be sustained, Zygarde will not do anything. Its job is not to prevent deaths. Heck, it enforces genocide to happen sometimes (hence, it ensuring Yveltal does its job) and likely for the same exact reasons Lysandre wanted genocide. The idea that overpopulation leads to chaos ongoing in the world, causing people to fight over and steal each other's limited resources, and creating brutal wars reminiscent of the ancient Kalos war. The anime even addressed Zygarde agreeing with Lysandre in some regard! Zygarde's job is simply to enforce order to end chaos and return the state of the ecosystems back to running as normal.

Ultra Beasts invade into many types of ecosystems on their own and directly obstruct their development, actively causing chaos within them, and are far too specific for Yveltal to be able to target without simply causing more destruction. Dealing with them is much more of a case specific to Zygarde.

I went off course here. I really like explaining Zygarde.

Solgaleo and Lunala could resemble the Light Ether, because they are both entities of light who mainly channel it in some way. Solgaleo creates endless amounts of light and emits it in mass amounts, oftentimes creating the light of day. Lunala eats up light and concentrates it within itself, creating a night sky and serving as the moon's light. It is also said that the Light Ether is used to bring objects from a plane outside the universe into the universe, which could reflect on how these two regularly open up Ultra Wormholes and themselves along as other things through them.

and lastly...

Necrozma could resemble Archeus and all 4 of its Ethers!

Reflective
- The light it reflects as a prism, the reflection of how human desire managed to destroy it, and the curse behind the aftermath of humanity's betrayal towards Necrozma living in the memories of all humans associated with Necrozma.

Life - The aura Necrozma was able to emit, showing the ability to revitalize environments surrounding it in the anime, and causing the Alola region in the games to overflow with life force. From Bulbapedia, according to Shigeru Ohmori, the name "Alola" is meant to incorporate a meaning of a land that overflows with life force and supports various forms of life. Specifically, the name may come from ola (Hawaiian for life) and the traditional Hawaiian word aloha, which, beyond its use as a greeting, also signifies a respect and love for the shared life force between all. In addition, the anime confirms Necrozma created the Alola region there, and the cames confirm Necrozma was indirectly responsible for shaping all of Alola's present traditions as well as their overall culture. Necrozma's aura was also responsible for allowing various Pokémon to grow bigger than normal. This is very similar to how the aura emitted from AZ's machine in XY caused AZ to grow very tall due to the overexposure of life force.

Chemical - The effect Necrozma's aura has on Z-Crystals and on other Pokémon, creating a chemical reaction that causes Z-Moves to happen, and otherwise just changing Pokémon into a state where they not only grow larger, but gain numerous stat boosts.

Light - Its main trait is absorbing and channeling light. This one is obvious.

This next part may be a coincidence in comparison, but Archeus looks similar to Arceus, the all-encompassing deity of Pokémon. This does not mean Arceus is the only god the series has, just the ultimate one in which everything in the series serves as a fragment of. I don't believe Arceus has a direct connection to the alchemic term, as Arceus's concept reaches far beyond just alchemy, but I believe Necrozma might have taken it instead.

Necrozma is worshipped as a god by mankind in alternate worlds and indirectly worshipped in Alola. It also has a signature Z-Move called Heaven-Scorching Light of Destruction in Japanese. Very coincidental as Heaven is seen as a higher realm in religion, and Archeus binds the heavens with the physical world. In other words, it binds the higher realms with lower realms.

Finally, it has also been plausibly theorized to have done the "universal reset" Lockstin theorized prior to SM's release and create LGPE universes.
NECROZMA Explains the Let's Go Pikachu Timeline! | Gnoggin | Pokemon. Of course Pokémon's canon is a multiverse consisting of infinite universes, so they weren't going to actually end ALL of Pokémon per say, but the fact this reference still stuck out for universes after all of this is quite mind-boggling to me.

Oh yeah completely unrelated to all of this but, the energy behind Z-Moves and what came from Necrozma was simply just the same raw Infinity Energy Xerneas and Yveltal generate and are in control of. All Pokémon share this energy and channel it in different ways, but Necrozma was able to do it in such a way that significantly alters the course of environments it's present under, to a degree higher than nearly every other species in the series. Too many similarities exist between Infinity Energy and what Necrozma channeled. Infinity Energy and the energy from Z-Moves both create wormholes that lead species or objects to alternate universes, they give life to the environments around them, alter life and nature in various ways, and require a proper connection between trainer and Pokémon in order to fully utilize. The only difference from a lore perspective is how they are used mechanically in battle. One is a form transformation, the other utilizes that energy into a Z-Move instead. X, Y, Z. I do not believe Dynamax and Terastallization are the exact same raw energy because neither require the bond between trainer and Pokémon, nor give life to environments surrounding them. They seem to be unique powers actively generated by the legendaries responsible for them, perhaps still through Infinity Energy, whereas Necrozma was never said to generate light or the aura it distributed.

EDIT:
Other coincidences that could tie into all of this would involve characters from exclusively Gens 5, 6, and 7 having some sort of big role within Gen 7's main stories, with Grimsley, Colress, Dexio, and Sina being the ones to play a part outside Alola characters, and then the Parfum Palace in Pokémon XY having statues of Reshiram and Zekrom out of sheer respect for their impact. All older gen characters who feature in Alola's postgame stories were direct travelers from alternate universes or Looker, who pretty much did that in ORAS anyway. All other older gen characters period were exclusively reserved for Alola's Battle Tree.

Last edited:
I've been obsessed with the Vs. Recorder for quite some time thanks to how it works in the 3DS titles, so I've been trying to figure out how its Mock Battles work within Pokémon's canon. Most would say it's just a device that just recreates battles for you to play digitally and shouldn't be taken seriously. While most of this is true, Pokémon is almost never that simple. There may be a deeper way this works and I believe I can find a way to explain these battles actually happening in real-time canon. It all starts with the concept of cyberspace.

Cue Porygon:
LeafGreenA Pokémon that consists entirely of programming code. Capable of moving freely in cyberspace.

Multiple dex entries of Porygon confirm the existence of cyberspace in the series and how creatures are able to traverse through it after being converted into programming code. We are also aware that when Pokémon enter into Poké Balls, they can be sent into a personal computer and sent into a PC box. This likely means Poké Balls take Pokémon into a cyberspace dimension of their own, where they can communicate with other digital devices they come into contact with.

One point supporting this is a trainer in the Heahea City Pokémon Center describing Poké Balls as "An infinite world, in such a small, round space." Heahea City is the place where a lab focusing on Pokémon dimensions is present. From this, we can suggest that Poké Balls contain some form of alternate dimension in them. Since they're devices compatible with computerized systems known to store Pokémon in as data, we can assume the dimensions in Poké Balls are parts of cyberspace.

Another point to be made is how a trainer can enter into the Festival Plaza, a place within cyberspace, in order to engage in real-time battles against players from across the series playing other Alola games. To activate a battle, they would have to pick any Pokémon of their choice from within their PC boxes or their party and then activate the battle in Festival Plaza itself. With both party members and PC box members being equally applicable to this, and Poké Balls being compatible with PC boxes, it's safe to say Poké Balls contain cyberspace dimensions.

Next thing to address is how there is direct confirmation that objects created in cyberspace are able to be materialized into Pokémon's physical reality. This is shown through the existence of Porygon and through items you can obtain within Gen 7's Festival Plaza. The Poké Pelago could possibly serve as this too, since your Pokémon somehow immediately end up there after being placed in your PC box, and yet the Poké Pelago is a physical island located on the far northeast of Alola you can traverse to from anywhere at any point. You even access Poké Pelago from some Ultra Beast universe 5236 light years away from your own! By the logic of all this, Pokémon's cyberspace can be considered one in the same as Pokémon's reality, which may sound crazy, but Hoenn's Southern Island, Unova's Entralink, and Arceus's Eternal Battle Reverie all already confirm dreams are one in the same with Pokémon's reality as well. This shouldn't be a reach.

What does this mean for the Vs. Recorder?
We know the Vs. Recorder is a device where you can either see or re-enact battles recorded inside it. When you re-enact these battles, you are also drawing out Pokémon from either your party or your PC box to do so, much the battles that take place in Festival Plaza. Because cyberspace exists in Pokémon, the Vs. Recorder is a digital device, and you can use both Pokémon from Poké Balls in your party and Pokémon from PC boxes in order to re-enact matches, it is safe to say that the Vs. Recorder also contains cyberspace dimensions.

The only significant point further supporting this and the idea of objects in cyberspace materializing into physical reality comes from Heahea City itself. As aforementioned, Heahea City contains a lab studying dimensions. It is called Dimensional Research Lab, and their slogan is, "Where the dimensions are given physical form." In the Dimensional Research Lab, there's about a half-dozen people you can talk to and a couple books in shelves you can read. One of the people in the lab talks about the Vs. Recorder and how you can not only rewatch old battles, but hold mock battles against teams captured in the battle video. Another person talks about Battle Boxes being great. Just about every other single piece of written dialogue you can read from the people and books in the lab directly relates to alternate dimensions in some way, shape or form. Battle Boxes may as well apply too, since Battle Boxes are a part of PC boxes and PC boxes are where the dimensions in Poké Balls most directly connect to a computerized system to allow mass Pokémon storage. With all of this in mind, the only thing left is the Vs. Recorder. It would be very odd for this place to single out unique dialogue about the Vs. Recorder if they weren't related to alternate dimensions, in a lab all about alternate dimensions where every other piece of dialogue directly relates to alternate dimensions. The Alola games had multiple other labs the Vs. Recorder could've been mentioned in, such as Professor Kukui's Pokémon Research Lab, the lab of Geothermal Power Plant, the labs at Hokulani Observatory, the labs of Aether Foundation, and many smaller labs spread throughout the Alola region, but Game Freak only decided to have people in the overworld mention the Vs. Recorder in the Dimensional Research Lab specifically. This could have been to used to give us a message, or just because it's where they thought was most convenient. Either way, it heavily suggests the Vs. Recorder is has ties to alternate dimensions alongside everything else aforementioned.

Conclusion
I'd like to believe Vs. Recorder mock battles are simply battles staged in a repetitive loop of space-time in a cyberspace dimension within your device for your Pokémon to engage in real-time battles against. When you connect with cyberspace and engage in online battles with Pokémon, the initial battle you have against someone there can get saved into your device, creating a pocket dimension where the space-time within it is looped to the start of the original battle you played. From within it, you are able to canonically re-create the battle to how you'd prefer it. Although these battles happen in real-time, they do not get documented within the fabric of its reality as the space-time within your pocket dimension gets looped back to the beginning of your original battle after each and every mock battle. In return, you are able go back and redo the same battle again whenever desired, for an indefinite amount of times.

tl;dr: Vs. Recorder Mock Battles are real-time battles that happen in pocket dimensions you created in cyberspace. These dimensions loop their space-time to the beginning of the initial battles you played to create them after each mock battle and you are allowed to to re-create the match however you like, whenever you desire. Pokémon rewards you for using your imagination.

Last edited:
Penny gets enjoyment out of riling up bigots and trolls online. She doesn't actually engage in their arguments or whatever, she just replies to everything they say with 'ok bozo' until they get super pissed off and then she just blocks them.

Master Balls create a utopia-like environment for a Pokemon, thus why 99.9% of the time, a Pokemon doesn't break out (yes that .1% outlier is that Terrapagos breaking out of one).

In speaking about Poke Balls in general, it's ultimately up to a Pokemon's decision whether to accept the environment of said ball or not, just that higher tiers and specialty ones become more enticing to stay in.

Spoilering this in case people haven't done the Team Star plotline in Scarlet/Violet and don't want to get spoiled :

After that plotline Penny introduces the Team Star bosses to the Pokémon equivalent of JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, and after binge-watching it together in multiple sessions, here are their favorite JoJo's :
Eri : Jonathan Joestar
Mela : Jolyne Cujoh
Ortega : Giorno Giovanna
Atticus and Giacomo : Josuke Higashikata (though Atticus likes Joseph Joestar equally)
Penny : Jotaro Kujo

Hmmm, time to put some more here.

• All the wild Pokemon that pop up to fight you want to be your friend, you just need to be proven worthy first.
  • The reason why there are multiple of a certain legendary is because they're actually another one from an alternate universe (actually this may be canon in the lore idk?)
  • All the Ultra Beasts evolve from/into something, we just haven't figured it out yet.
  • You can pop Buzzwole like a water balloon.
  • Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma and Eternatus are considered Ultra Beasts, they're simply just never refered to as such.
  • Dialga, Palkia and Giratina can speak human languages like Arcues.
  • Dialga is actually VERY VERY up to date with human culture and is the only one of the Creation Trio who uses modern slang.
  • Calyrex's head bulb is edible.

Back
Top Bottom