• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your (non-Fan) Fiction pet peeves (non-manga/anime)?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
On this thread, you can talk about any pet peeve you have about works of fiction that aren’t fanfics or manga/anime, as those specifics threads already exist on the forum.

So, what are your fiction pet peeves?

I'm sure this shows up in fanfics and anime/manga as well, but the "jerk older sibling who only shows they care when things get REALLY bad" character archetype bothers me. Mainly the fact that it shows up so much in so many places and is often presented as the "normal" older/younger sibling relationship. I'm an oldest sibling, and I'm certainly not the world's best at the role but I do try. The fact that so much of fiction just goes "Yeah, older siblings are all naturally jerks" is discouraging.

Species profiling.
Examples: carnivorous dinosaurs, hyenas, snakes.
Luckily The Lion Guard tv show tried to remedy the Species profiling of hyenas by having a group of good guy hyenas introduced early on.

I don’t feel pleasure by having an iredeemable character being badly punished, be they be killed by the MC (not even in self-defense, the MC just abruptly kills them even though they’re not immediately in danger because of them), made immortal and unable to do anything, or neither of them but still cruel it shouldn’t be regarded as an okay punishment (like lobotomy).

It’s apparently called "catharsis factor". I hate that trope.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom