• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your thoughts on the battle facilities of pokemon Emerald version?

skynerel

How could I forget Spinda??!!
Reaction score
There’s a lot of praise from the fandom regarding the Battle Frontier, but I don’t often read fans writing about the Battle Tent and Trainer Hill. I was wondering what does everyone think about them?

i made a similar post expressing why i miss the battle frontier and i'd be repeating a lot of my points about it here, so i'm going to link to that post, instead.

tl;dr: emerald battle frontier's creative battle conditions are the reason why it was so fun and memorable to me, and why to this day (haven't played the sv dlc to comment on it), there hasn't really been a satisfactory replacement for it.

tl;dr: emerald battle frontier's creative battle conditions are the reason why it was so fun and memorable to me, and why to this day (haven't played the sv dlc to comment on it), there hasn't really been a satisfactory replacement for it.

This. The creative battle styles are the Battle Frontier's biggest strength and I think that's the main reason the Battle Frontier is so beloved. Now, they did try and satisfy that in other ways with battle styles such as Triple, Rotation, and Inverse Battles, but those are gone too and that's one aspect that's really lacking with the Switch's Pokemon games. Now I'm not big on competitive, so I'd be open to alternative means of providing them similar to what we saw in 5th and 6th gen instead of bringing back battle facilities directly, but I do think they need to start experimenting with alternative styles in some way. Just having Single, Double, and Raid battles gets boring fast.

I didn't care for most of them. I was okay with the Battle Dome since it was basically just a tournament, so that was straight-forward. And the Battle Pike was kinda cool since you could potentially beat it without battling any trainers, but the rest weren't my cup of tea, especially the Battle Palace and Battle Factory.

I tried out multiple facilities (without having a dedicated team built) but ended up primarily playing Open Level mode Battle Factory. After many attempts, I made it to 42 streak Noland twice and got the Gold badge. I made it to a 47 streak maximum.

The Battle Factory had a cool concept but is extremely flawed in execution and makes for a very frustrating adventure up top. Encountering battles against legendaries from streak 28 onwards was fun but the sheer amount of RNG factored into this facility is absolutely ludicrous and it makes perfect sense why the World Record for the highest streak in this facility hasn't even scratched 120. The world record was made in the level 50 option too, which I learned was the EASIER mode because you get more advantageous Pokémon over your opponents early on.

Would I recommend the Battle Factory? For casual purposes? No. I would rather recommend something like the Gen 7 Battle Tree, which while you do have to build a team, it's in a game where building a battle facility ready team is very easy and the entire game is less RNG BS. For example, you will probably be pained to see what any Walrein, Lapras, Umbreon, or Meganium does in the Battle Factory (EVERY SINGLE UMBREON SET IS ENTIRELY MADE TO RNG YOU TO DEATH). I even lost a match despite having a full HP Hydro Pump Golduck against a Ninetales because the Ninetales ran Confuse Ray + Attract, hit every Iron Tail it used, and ended up winning without taking any damage at all. These were both our final Pokémon, so I thought I won, but the Golduck just kept hitting itself and getting infatuated. The one time it was finally able to use a move, it missed Hydro Pump, then kept hitting itself until it fainted. If you're a hardcore player determined to test your patience, luck, endurance, knowledge, and skill at Pokémon battling, I guess you can go ahead with the Battle Factory (and even Frontier).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom