• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you NOT like about Sun&Moon?

I can put up with tutorials. What gets on my nerves is when the game won't leave you alone and insists on literally telling you to walk down the street. That's not useful to anyone.

I still think the usual Trainer School is underused. Fill that with plenty of teachers explaining all the necessary mechanics (Types, statuses, catching pokémon, abilities, etc), clearly point it out to the player, and let them use it if they want it. Problem solved, surely

What XY did you play?

XY aren't anywhere near as consistently guilty of putting up fake doors, or making single rooms look like huge, expansive buildings. XY's larger buildings actually have multiple rooms. The worst cases of façades in XY are Lumiose, for understandable reasons, and the power plants, for unclear ones.

I became less annoyed with all of the facade buildings after I realized that most people lock their doors when they aren't home or don't take kindly to having strangers off the street randomly wander into their homes. That said, it certainly is disappointing after 6 generations of being able to enter nearly every building you see (or at least a message saying why you can't enter, e.g., Mauville City in ORAS), and the inability to explore the resorts was a huge letdown.

I became less annoyed with all of the facade buildings after I realized that most people lock their doors when they aren't home or don't take kindly to having strangers off the street randomly wander into their homes. That said, it certainly is disappointing after 6 generations of being able to enter nearly every building you see (or at least a message saying why you can't enter, e.g., Mauville City in ORAS), and the inability to explore the resorts was a huge letdown.

I don't think that logic means much when, as you said, it's never been a factor from day one. Only just now do they start? It looks exactly like what it is, a cobbled justification for the game not being able to be as in-depth as previous entries, which in reality is probably due to hardware/space limitations.

That's part of why I kinda want them to change the tutorial for Gen 8. Have it so your character is explaining it to someone else. Then, you can just skip by refusing to be a teacher.

RSE/ORAS changed that by having us teach Wally how to catch pokemon. It was fun because we get to see him catch his starter. However, I do agree that adding a skip feature would be great. If they can't make it optional for some reason, then I'd be fine with the catch tutorial as long as they change the content or process occasionally. Maybe allow us to explore the early grass patches a bit until we find a pokemon we want to catch and process the tutorial there, ensuring a 100% catch on the first pokeball.

As for another thing I didn't like about SM, I was annoyed that some of the sports-related NPCs were restricted to certain classes. I guess more adults play golf than kids in the real world so I understand that the Beauty class were the ones to hold golf clubs, but they could have had the Gentlemen/Socialite classes also play golf if they wanted realistic features.

I just bred a few pokemon on Omega Ruby and I realized how blessed we were in Gen6 with the O Powers and a looping hatch spot...

Tauros Dash isn't bad, but it really feels great to let the game do the job while I'm typing this.

Another thing I didn't like: Berries being random. Why. Just let us pick what we need. I didn't want another Tamato berry. And soft-resetting takes time.

I liked the O-powers so much, I included and massively expanded them in my fanfic. I hope they come back next gen.

I think people would've been more OK with the unexplorable resort if it was like the hotel in Mauville or whatever; in other words, we could go explore (most of) it in post-game. Like say some rich benefactor (or maybe a reformed Lusamine, as thanks) gives the player a reservation for the resort or whatever, and then we can has splores

I think people would've been more OK with the unexplorable resort if it was like the hotel in Mauville or whatever; in other words, we could go explore (most of) it in post-game. Like say some rich benefactor (or maybe a reformed Lusamine, as thanks) gives the player a reservation for the resort or whatever, and then we can has splores

Or why not Kahili? Post-game she calls the resort "her place" and says her dad owns it. It would be fitting that she gets you access to the resort as first champion of Alola.

So much wasted potential.

So I like the idea behind the Title Defense, but I'm not a big fan of how it was executed. The variety of challengers is nice and I think it adds a nice story element to the game as well, being able to face off against former Team Skull admins, a youngster you met on route 1, both of your rivals, and even some new faces, such as Ryuki, but the thing is, their teams don't grow like your's will. The strongest Pokemon in the Title Defense will be Kukui's at level 65, almost all my Pokemon are level 100, it's nice to go through it once in awhile but there's no sense of challenge to it.

I was really hoping it would be implemented in a battle facility fashion, where all Pokemon are leveled to 50, challengers are given competitive movesets, items, AI, etc. And you could maybe even customize your Champion battles to be single or double, 3v3, 4v4, or 6v6, and so on. The way it is now it's just not as much of a challenge as I'd like.

I was really hoping it would be implemented in a battle facility fashion, where all Pokemon are leveled to 50, challengers are given competitive movesets, items, AI, etc. And you could maybe even customize your Champion battles to be single or double, 3v3, 4v4, or 6v6, and so on. The way it is now it's just not as much of a challenge as I'd like.
Something like Secret Base Battles?

Something like Secret Base Battles?

As far as the customizing, yeah. I understand that traditionally, champion battles are singles, but that's because 99% of the main game is singles, if Liza & Tate can customize their gym battle to be doubles, why can't I do the same thing with MY Pokemon League? Also, this is often overlooked, but one of Emerald's best features was Match Call Gym Leader rematches, and their post-League battles were all double battles, so it isn't farfetched to say that a Champion wants to run double battles in their Pokemon League.

I feel like they're off to a decent start but I sure hope they build on the idea, also, it'd be neat if you could be legitimately overthrown and have to defeat the one who beat you to get the title back.

Last edited:
I feel like they're off to a decent start but I sure hope they build on the idea, also, it'd be neat if you could be legitimately overthrown and have to defeat the one who beat you to get the title back.
I'd be thrilled if I had to challenge the Elite 4 again to beat the character I lost to. I'd even do it on purpose just to see Gladion sitting majestically on that throne :D

The Zygarde cell quest. They hyped up Zygarde so much in the anime, TCG, and other promotional materials, to the point where people were convinced that the next game was going to be a Pokemon Z. It's so obvious that Gamefreak just threw it in as an attempt to connect Zygarde with the new games, but they failed pretty badly. Seeing Dexio and Sina was cool, but otherwise there was nothing interesting. It leads to nothing story wise, and nothing is explained to you.

Festival Plaza is awful. No idea how they can go from something so intuitive like the PSS to this mess.

Gamefreak. Two steps forward, one step back is their way. Festival Plaza is why I hate Sophocles, he's my scapegoat for Gamefreak's mistake. (Also he's super annoying in the anime but that's beside the point.)

The Zygarde cell quest. They hyped up Zygarde so much in the anime, TCG, and other promotional materials, to the point where people were convinced that the next game was going to be a Pokemon Z. It's so obvious that Gamefreak just threw it in as an attempt to connect Zygarde with the new games, but they failed pretty badly. Seeing Dexio and Sina was cool, but otherwise there was nothing interesting. It leads to nothing story wise, and nothing is explained to you.

Gamefreak. Two steps forward, one step back is their way. Festival Plaza is why I hate Sophocles, he's my scapegoat for Gamefreak's mistake. (Also he's super annoying in the anime but that's beside the point.)

I think they stated somewhere that they wanted to finish Kalos in a 'unique' way. And apparently, the anime was their idea of unique.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom