• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you NOT like about Sun&Moon?

Corrosion? Abuse the system by bringing a lot of moves super-effective against Steel-types?

Also, how do I get QR teams?
I wish I could abuse the system, but then they'd bring mons that cancel out the effects. Take Ground-type moves, Fire-type moves, or Fighting-type moves, and I'm 90% sure they'd be throwing out Skarmorys or Bronzongs.

You can get QR rental teams by logging in to the Pokemon Global Link. It's in the menu.

I did not like certain trainer sprites (the swimmer category is the first one that comes to my mind), that lame lag in the double battles and the Festival Plaza (the Black & White 2 version of this place was much better, in my opinion).

Forgot to mention, but the Festival Missions were also way better executed in Black2 White2. At least you could explore around the cities and routes when participating in the Funfest missions instead of running around a locked circular block.

You're a good trainer to get to eight battles, I got four at most. You should give QR teams a try, they are definetely worth trying, as the battles are neither easy or impossible and you can go toe to toe with your opponents.

Thank you. I haven't done much with QR codes, although I should remember to get Magearnia at some point, but I'll look into QR teams. It still would be sad to not go through the Battle Tree with my Pokemon team, but if it helps to get more Battle Points more easily, then that would still help. I didn't want to rely on just the Battle Royale for Battle Points since just getting enough points for one EV training item took forever.

Nicolas721 said:
I discovered this today and I was surprised, it's kind of off-character to them, seeing how the credits of gen 5-6 were made more simplistic so we could read them.

I was mainly surprised since I wondered if there was no other way to view the credits after you beat the main storyline. I wouldn't have minded it since the music was nice and seeing all of the pictures were cute, but making the process more straightforward still helps to make level grinding there less time consuming. I still wish that the Battle Buffet was full of double battles with maybe slightly stronger Pokemon, the Elite 4 had full teams and their levels were closer to level 70 or higher. That would have done wonders for the level grinding process.

One other detail that I didn't like is that I don't think I can see a record of my teams against the Elite 4. I know that there's a fan who will tell you what Pokemon you used in your first Elite 4 battle and then your most recent challenge, but I don't think that there's a system that actually shows your team like in previous games. I like being able to see how my Pokemon have gotten stronger with each challenge and to see which dates my Pokemon get to level one hundred. I'm a sentimental person like that, so unless I just missed it, losing that display of your teams is kind of sad.

Another minor thing, but "Sunne" and "Moone" sound exceedingly silly, and they're spelled normally in Japanese too. Are Solgaleo and Lunala such special snowflakes that not only are their abilities not affected by Mold Breaker, but they also don't want to share their English categories with pre-existing Pokémon?

Another minor thing, but "Sunne" and "Moone" sound exceedingly silly, and they're spelled normally in Japanese too. Are Solgaleo and Lunala such special snowflakes that not only are their abilities not affected by Mold Breaker, but they also don't want to share their English categories with pre-existing Pokémon?

They're not. They're actually just the words Sun and Moon, and they're spelled correctly. They also don't sound silly if you're familiar with archaic forms of English. In fact, there's even some modern towns that use those spellings because of when they were named.

Modern English spellings are mostly artificial, a result of a Romanification of a Germanic-Nordic language. Quite a few words, like "debt," originally had different spellings. A result of this, combined with natural lingual drift, is why English before a certain point in history is effectively gibberish to modern readers.

But, no. They just wanted the lakes to have been named a very long time ago, so they used archaic spellings.

Having my attention brought to the subject has caused me to feel the need to complain about the name "Pulvering Pancake" Why is it called that because it pulverizes them so they are flat like a pancake? That's stupid it's an attack name not a condition name.

That's like calling slashing moving "Slicing Shreds" or a special spear attack "Impaling Corpse". It just doesn't make grammatical sense for an attack name.

Like maybe "Go All Out Attack" sounds weird in English but they could easily thought of something that conveys both ideas like "Ferocious Crusher" or "Full Power Tackle" or "Fullbody Smash"

Another thing that I want to point out is that the Japanese words for Sun and Moon used in the game are Nichirin and Gachirin respectively while the traditional Japanese words for Sun and Moon are Taiyo and Tsuki respectively.

I like how they personalized the region based on where it's from, but I don't feel like learning new game mechanics just to enjoy catching, training and trading Pokemon.

I also don't like that some Pokemon don't evolve. Sure the design is okay, but I wanted new Pokemon that evolve.
Also the size of the Pokemon. Some Pokemon look like they would be large/small, but they aren't.
Another thing is that Cosmeon, who's 0.4 inches ( 0.1m), evolves into Solgaleo or Lunala, who are over 10 feet tall

One of the weirdest and worst additions was the new Z-moves. They take small, weak Pokemon and turn them into death machines!

And all the awesome features, mainly the whole PokeNav plus and secret bases beige removed!!! Which was, in my opinion, the best part of ORAS

Last edited:
The generic Looker mission and generic post-game battle location. Those are my two least favorite aspects of S&M that I've come to realize over the past few months.

The elite four is kind of lame too, I would have rather they bundled all the island kahunas together for some sort of grand trial. I think they through a "brand new built" elite four" into the game because the producers couldn't develop a unique idea to be the grand trial.

Last edited:
The elite four is kind of lame two, I would have rather they bundled all the island kahunas together for some sort of grand trial. I think they through a "brand new built" elite four" into the game because the producers couldn't develop a unique idea to be the grand trial.

I agree with this. I was so happy they decided to do something new instead of Gyms again, and then there's Kukui being all "I want to make a League cause other regions have one". Damnit Kukui, being different was the point. I would've rather battled against all four (now stronger) Kahunas again in a row too, that would've been more epic than battling against only the first two, a trial captain who got promoted out of nowhere for reasons, and a complete stranger imo. Battling Kukui I was ok with, though I thought it was pretty arrogant of him to make himself Champion of the League he built himself lol.

But yeah, really sad they couldn't keep it a different experience all the way.

though I thought it was pretty arrogant of him to make himself Champion of the League he built himself lol.

Only if you're speaking broadly and in terms of game structure. In terms of the actual narrative, he didn't "make himself Champion" at all. He's approaching you as a challenger. The game specifically calls us Alola's first-ever Champion. The position wasn't held by Kukui.

It's somewhat of a call-back to Gen 1, where Lance tells us that beating him would have made us the Champion right then and there, if only Blue hadn't done it first. Neither Kanto nor Alola had active Champions during their respective stories.

Only if you're speaking broadly and in terms of game structure. In terms of the actual narrative, he didn't "make himself Champion" at all. He's approaching you as a challenger. The game specifically calls us Alola's first-ever Champion. The position wasn't held by Kukui.

Oh right keep forgetting about that, in that case I take the arrogance part back. Still dislike him for making that League in the first place though :p

I would've rather battled against all four (now stronger) Kahunas again in a row too, that would've been more epic than battling against only the first two, a trial captain who got promoted out of nowhere for reasons, and a complete stranger imo.
I knew of the Flying-type lady's existence because I saw someone mention her, but she still felt out-of-nowhere.

One of the weirdest and worst additions was the new Z-moves. They take small, weak Pokemon and turn them into death machines!
At best, all any weak Pokemon could do with a Z-Move is take out one Pokemon, given the right stats. (and that would require them to move first against a stronger Pokemon, and without any items to boost speed, that's going to be quite a task) While they definitely shake up battle, they haven't completely transformed weaker Pokemon.
Another thing is that Cosmeon, who's 0.4 inches ( 0.1m), evolves into Solgaleo or Lunala, who are over 10 feet tall
I think that's mostly to give the impression of a huge transformation. (which was pretty evident when we see it in-game) Besides, it's not the first small Pokemon to evolve into a bigger form-that's kinda how most evolution works.

After some careful consideration, I can say that Sun & Moon has the worst way of trying to get Hidden Ability Pokémon. Not only do you have to drag a fight out so that they can call for aid from others (not to mention that there are some who are unlikely to get any help, to add salt on a wound,) but the chances of getting one with a HA are very slim.

On top of that, there's also no reliable way of knowing if they've got their HA or not, so this makes it a blind goose chase in most cases.

On top of that, there's also no reliable way of knowing if they've got their HA or not, so this makes it a blind goose chase in most cases.
You can use moves to check for the abilities depending on what you are looking for, but yeah, having to have certain moves in the move slot in the first place makes it pretty annoying.

The elite four is kind of lame too, I would have rather they bundled all the island kahunas together for some sort of grand trial. I think they through a "brand new built" elite four" into the game because the producers couldn't develop a unique idea to be the grand trial.
i mean they did have the idea for the original Grand (Grand?) Trial. you just had a rematch against the four Kahunas. i think the reason they changed it is because you would have just fought against two of the four, the same two of the four that are absent in the Elite 4. i think they just went with the league arc to justify that change.

After a few months, I decided to pick up Sun and play it casually. But once you do the UB quests, there's absolutely nothing left to do but take pictures and do the Battle Tree. There's nothing that makes me want to keep playing past the story. So I just put the game down again and haven't thought twice about it.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom