• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What did you want to be growing up?

Lyrebird

Goddess
Reaction score
Basically we all wanted to be something or rather when we were a little kid but reality strikes and 90% of us don't get to do what we want/dreamt.

I wanted to be an Olympian, a fashion designer, an actress, and/or worked in a fashion boutique. I got to do one of them. The retail one.

I never dreamt too big. I always felt like becoming a scientist. Maybe an astronaut, which is not going to happen, but scientist isn't unrealistic at all.

When I was a little kid I wanted to be a lawyer for some random unknown reason, lolcat. I like medicine much much more though (no offense to lawyers, I just remember looking at my friend Frank's LSAT book awhile back and being like ^X__X^;; Something about if apples are red all red things are apples)

As a child I wanted to be an actress, artist, writer, teacher, detective, scientist/chemist, and architect.

At first I wanted to be a paleontologist, but in middle school I got told it'd never happen so I changed to wanting to be an astronaut for a short time. Then I got a heart condition that made that impossible, and now I'm going for bookkeeping.

As a child I wanted to be a lawyer... then I saw an episode of the Flintstones where Fred was on a jury and after finding a dude guilty, he threatened to come after the families of the jury members or something and after that all I could think about is if someone could react that way to the jury imagine what they'd do the person who prosecuted them, or failed to defend them. And that ended that. (Plus I was only really into it because mom hammered into my head Lawyers make tons of money and tons of money = all that matters in life.)

When I got a little older I thought about being a doctor (again- MONEY) but I'm too squeamish so that was trashed immediately.

By the time high school came around my anxiety and depression issues were starting to bloom into a hideous soul stealing flower. All I wanted was to be a housewife who cooks and cleans since I love doing both of those things and it would prevent my anxiety from flaring up, but it's not a realistic option for me.

Now the best I can hope for myself is getting lucky with youtube if I can get a better graphics card and some recording equipment to start myself off. With my multitude of issues as they are, pretty much every other career option will feel like an unwaking nightmare I'm trapped within.

At a really young age, I wanted to draw comics, like in the newspaper. I had a little talent for drawing when I was younger and enjoyed it, but eventually I realized there was a limit between what I wanted to draw and what I could draw and stopped.

Shortly thereafter I found music. I was a trumpet player and was inspired my Big Band/rock fusion trumpeters like Maynard Ferguson. Then I realized that the trumpet wasn't doing it for me... I wanted to be a professional clarinetist instead, but still on the Big Band side. That didn't last long at all, as I never really liked actually playing the clarinet. That's when I found the bassoon, and formed a years long dream of being a professional bassoonist in a professional orchestra.

In my earliest college years, I realized I wasn't really fit for performance and thought that teaching might be better for me, and my immediate choice was being a band director. Now I'm well into my adulthood, but I still would say I have done some 'growing up', as I realized I love music history the most, and decided I want to be a music history professor. I'm going back to school for that, in fact! My private lessons instructor even gave me the idea that I could teach lessons to non-majors, and has helped me become a more confident performer. She's amazing.

I didn't really have my mind set on any particular career, but being a famous singer is something I've thought about for a while now, but it's unrealistic because there are so many singers out there who are much much better than me, and even if I'm good enough there's no way I'd ever get noticed so I don't think about it too much.

I wanted to be an actor when I was little. But like so many dreams, it was a pipe dream.

Things I've wanted to become:
  • owner of a cat pension
  • book illustrator
  • actor
I do work at a animal shelter that also functions as a cat pension and I'm an actor at the local theater club. Sadly none of that's actually a paying job ^^;
I didn't really have my mind set on any particular career, but being a famous singer is something I've thought about for a while now, but it's unrealistic because there are so many singers out there who are much much better than me, and even if I'm good enough there's no way I'd ever get noticed so I don't think about it too much.

Nooo you shouldn't give up without trying D: True, there's already a lot of famous singers, but there's also a lot of new singers becoming famous every day! You could start small and join a local club where people sing or something, and first become famous in your town/city :) That's what I'm trying with acting now at least :p

Last edited:
Things I've wanted to be as a child:

-pirate
-witch
-mermaid
-cat lady
-book author
-filmmaker

I had some pretty specific goals.

Astronaut, pilot, and soccer player are the first ones that come to mind. I also dreamed about becoming a scientist that would someday make one of the greatest discoveries of the century. I think professional video game player/tester and food taster were ideas that crept up occasionally as well.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be the president. A lot of kids wanted to be the president when I was in kindergarten, iirc. Afterwards, my goals were usually around teacher, scientist, librarian, and writer.

Crap all you guys had so many interesting things you wanted to be. Here I am always wanting to be a businessman all my life. Yep just a businessman.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a professional wrestler and I wanted to be a police officer. I wanted to win the WWE - known back then as the WWF - Intercontinental championship. I also wanted to be Sherlock Holmes.

An astronaut. I can still be one but I think I would fail in the psychological tests.

When I was really small, I would always answer "electrical engineer." I didn't really know what that exactly entailed, but it was something a family member had suggested at one point, so I stuck with it. Nowadays, I'm not sure if I would want to pursue that as a full time career, but I would eventually like to learn electricity on a more in-depth level than my current "1 semester of college." :p

By the time I was a teenager, I had actually thought about it and decided on computer programming. It was a hobby of mine that emerged in middle school, and since I didn't have a strong interest in much else (save for maybe math), it made sense to me.

Present day, after a handful of bouts in unskilled jobs, I've made into a decent I.T. support position. While I still program in my free time, I only get to use my programming skills infrequently for my job (my responsibilities aren't massive, but broad in nature, so there's usually a need to be doing something else). So I'm not precisely where I want to be, but I'm getting there.

Heh... I wanted to be a lot of things. Artist, filmmaker, urban planner, media company CEO, industrial designer, photographer, and fiction writer... not necessarily in that order, and often multiple ones at once. Out of all of those, only the latter two has survived reality, and even then they're both out of reach as lucrative professions at this particular point in my life. But they still make pretty good hobbies, and hey, who knows...?

Growing up I had several things I wanted to be growing up. Many of which I worked hard to achieve, but health got in the way.

1) Tae Kwon Do Master
2) Professional Music Composer and Conductor
3) A defenseman in one of two sports, Soccer and Hockey.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom