• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Do You Fear?

A few years ago, I developed some kind of fear of choking on food for some reason - which is weird because I never choked on food before. I check my own breathing whenever I feel like I've swallowed something without chewing it fully, despite knowing well enough that if I were actually choking, I'd be choking for real.

I used to be a fast eater, but ever since that idea got stuck in my head, I became a slow eater. Nothing bad about being too careful, I guess?

My fears are pretty bog standard for humanity as a whole. But the last three in particular permeate my unstable mental existence constantly.

- Large insects/spiders - Especially those huge cockroaches. I instinctively scream whenever I see them. It's so ridiculous, I really can't help myself.

- Old age - I think I fear this more than I do death. The thought of deteriorating until the end of one's life is truly harrowing and disturbing. I'm a person who absolutely fears things getting worse in generally, and always strive for everything to get better. I never want to have a time in my life where I reflect on "the good old days." I want the days I'm having now to be better than any days I've ever had in the past. And old age really symbolizes this underlying fear for me.

- Rejection/negative judgement - Common human fears. My aversion to these is particularly strong. So much so, that I avoid interacting with most people, and I feel heavily uncomfortable talking to strangers. I'm very shy and full of social anxiety.

- The death of my husband/beloved animal friends - Even though I fear old age, this is pretty much the one thing that I think would truly have me reflecting on the "good old days" back when he was still alive. I can survive my beloved friends dying (though I would be extremely distraught), but I absolutely cannot live without him. We actually had a morbid conversation of this recently - wishing that the both of us would somehow just die at the same time so that the other wouldn't have to suffer, and then lamenting that this is highly unlikely, and one of us will have to live the rest of our lives in pain. It's such an awful thought to have when we're so young, but I often think of these things because I am a bag of neurosis. I think this is one of my absolute greatest fears of all.

Tornadoes (bloody American midwest; there is nothing that I like about this place (n)). Cockroaches. Dog attacks. Being stranded somewhere. Being unable to support myself.

I wouldn't say that I'm afraid of heights exactly, but I am afraid of the risk of falling, and when I am high up, I tend to get a wave of vertigo. So the concept of heights is fine to me, but in practice, I find they're best avoided.

-Getting lost. Ever since I got lost in the Mall of America when I was about 4 years old, I always tell someone within my general vicinity where I'm going or about to go. I don't want a repeat experience.

-Dying in my sleep. Even though I'm too young to even be thinking about it, there's something about going to sleep and never waking up afterwards that always scared me. But on the other hand: this is actually how I want to die when I get old. Something about it then seems so peaceful and natural to me.

-The unknown. I'm very analytical and OCD, and it terrifies me that there will always be that one possibility that is too impossible for me to prepare for.

-Heights. Fuck heights.

-Surgery, specifically when it involves putting me under. This ties in to my fears of the unknown and dying in my sleep. If the surgeon makes even the slightest mistake, then it'd might as well be lights out for me permanently.

-Failing one's expectations/feeling useless. As an Autistic (Asperger's) man, there's only so much I can and cannot do. If I fail to fulfill even the simplest of expectations, I feel absolutely useless. I won't even care if I mess up and you lie to me and say I did a good job anyways- I'd prefer to hear that than you telling me I failed you.

-Hornets and wasps. Not only are they mean, they're also absolutely disturbing. For one, when they sting you, they release a pheromone that attracts and agitates other nearby hornets and wasps into stinging you. When they lay their egg, they lay it somewhere on a spider's abdomen; the larvae will feed on the spider's insides, INTENTIONALLY avoiding the vital organs until it bursts out of the spider, killing it instantly. AND THEY KILL BEES FOR GIGGLES- THOSE MONSTERS.

Last edited:
Heights. Not fond of heights.

Also used to be afraid of snakes. Then someone put one on my neck and it bent to whisper the Seven Blasphemous Names of Power into my ear, forever poisoning my soul and allowing the dark pact that has kept my undying form regenerating century after century in brutal conquests of blood and terror.

I also don't like water above my chin. Makes showers and baths hard.

Nowadays, I'm freaking out from the horrible air pollution in my country. It's dead serious - the number of people diagnosed with lung cancer has increased over the last few years (even young kids) yet the government hasn't taken any strong actions to tackle the issue and has been putting the blame on burnt food and cars. Yes, cars are part of the issue but that does not explain why even the mountains and countryside - where cars are scarce - are even suffering from air pollution! It's a nationwide problem, not just a city thing!!
I'm seriously worried. Seriously. I'm scared that if I stay in my country, I'd die from pollution.

I'm actually trying to overcome my fear of spiders, since they eat bugs that are WAY worse than them.

It's recently occurred to me that I have a considerable fear of being alone in large, dark rooms.

I have many fears. Acrophobia is one among them. Then I am really scared of reptiles. On seeing them I get phobic.

I'm afraid of heights, but I guess you could just say I don't enjoy the feeling of adrenaline in any case.

I'm afraid of heights, but I guess you could just say I don't enjoy the feeling of adrenaline in any case.

^

Also in a weird case, I'm scared of arachnids. But only when they move, I could stare at a still one forever, but as soon as I see a twitch, or it scampering across my wall, that scares me.

Slightly afraid of getting close to heights unless I can hold on to something. So I don't mind crossing bridges etc.
A bit afraid of dogs if they get close to me, I think they'll bite.
A bit afraid of bees and other flying insects if they get close to me, I think they'll sting.
Afraid of pitch black darkness unless I'm with someone else I trust won't try to scare me (basically most family members and not most friends). I sleep with a small light on most of the time. I guess this might be the most important but since it rarely actually happens I don't mind it.
A bit afraid of approaching suspicious-looking people, especially at night.

Overall, there are a few of them but they don't negatively affect me too much as even when I get the chills I don't panic too much or anything so I'm fine.

Back
Top Bottom