• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you think about TRio in Best Wishes?

Are Jessie, James and Meowth OOC?

• Yes

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • I Don't Know...

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I don't Care

Votes: 20 19.6%

• Total voters

Yoshi-san

All of the bara
Reaction score
Ever since Best Wishes aired, TRio(Musashi/Jessie, Kojirou/James and Nyarth/Meowth) had a major overhaul in their jobs as Team Rocket members. They're more serious and competent and they haven't blasted off at ALL.

I believe it's a refreshing change for the better but others do not. Others believe that they are OOC now. I believe that's not the case.

What do you think? Discuss.

I like the seriousness. I wouldn't care if they stayed like that for the rest of the series ^^

I'm very satisfied with this change. I'd recommend for everyone to enjoy it while it lasts, because there's no doubt in mind they'll revert back to their normal old selves very soon.

I don't see how they're out of character, either. They're obviously very pleased about their promotion, and understandably, they want to impress Giovanni more than ever before.

Well Team Rocket being serious is defiantly refreshing after many seasons of them being complete jokes.

Their seriousness is cool but I wish they blast off like how they always do.

Team Rocket's just being awesome, as they always had the potential of being. They simply had to kick it up to 11, honestly.

Honestly, as Yoshi said, this is a great change of pace, and I'm hoping we'll see Team Rocket actually get a few victories under their belt in style, rather than having to retreat tactically.

I'm very satisfied with this change. I'd recommend for everyone to enjoy it while it lasts, because there's no doubt in mind they'll revert back to their normal old selves very soon.

I don't see how they're out of character, either. They're obviously very pleased about their promotion, and understandably, they want to impress Giovanni more than ever before.

This really. And they proven before they can be competent.

I love the new character development/changes of the TRio. They make BW so much more fun and interesting. Even though their attitudes are more serious, they are still in character. And I really like that they no longer blast off.

I hate how OOC they've become. If the show wanted to introduce serious villains to the series, then they should have created some new ones, not take existing characters and radically change their personalities.

Musashi and Kojirou are completely unrecognizable now. You could give their dialogue to any other duo of villains and the show wouldn't be any different.

Competent does not necessarily equal "boring" or "overly serious."

I hold out hope that the writers will come to their senses and bring back the real Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu.

I'm getting the strong feeling this will be the final saga for TR and Giovanni, which is why they're doing this.

I think they want Jessie/James/Meowth to go out with a bang, especially with the eventual Team Rocket disbandment and Giovanni downfall likely happening later this arc.

TR will, "stay this way," but this is just building toward their finale.

No, I don't think they're OOC at all. The writers have been building to this since the GF. It's not like this new attitude came out of nowhere.

I'm very much enjoying how they're being written now. As much as I liked them goofy, sometimes they were a bit too goofy and it got on my nerves. It's nice to see them like they were in episode two, except even more awesome. I'm loving how badass they are, I'm loving the motto, I'm loving the use of gadgets, I'm loving the lack of blasting off, and I'm loving how Nyasu feels more like a Pokemon again.

I doubt they'll go back to being goofy (at least until the end of BW), but we'll just have to see.

You can be badass and still be funny. You can be competent and still be endearing. These are not mutually exclusive traits.

And this attitude did pretty much come out of nowhere. They were old Rocket-Dan in the last Diamond & Pearl episode, and then, BAM, super boring in the first Best Wishes! episode.

Last edited:
I agree with Dogasu, they're definitely OOC. And it really did come from nowhere. They practically changed overnight.

I think their sudden seriousness and competence is cool and all, don't get me wrong, but for our TRio, it's OOC, plain and simple. And I prefer when they were lovable idiots anyway.

I'm honestly glad they were changed to be more serious in BW. I'm kind of holding back most of thoughts on them till after we see their "mission" in the next town that Giovanni was talking to them about. If they show to be decently competent against (Hopefully) Team Plasma, then I will be happy.

I'm getting the strong feeling this will be the final saga for TR and Giovanni, which is why they're doing this.

Just like how they were building up the Sinnoh arc for Ash to win the league, right?

Jessie, James, and Meowth will remain in the anime for as long as Ash does. Just because the writers are going for something a little different this time around does not suddenly mean the trio is going to be axed by the end of the Isshu.

I hate how OOC they've become. If the show wanted to introduce serious villains to the series, then they should have created some new ones, not take existing characters and radically change their personalities.

Musashi and Kojirou are completely unrecognizable now. You could give their dialogue to any other duo of villains and the show wouldn't be any different.

Competent does not necessarily equal "boring" or "overly serious."

I hold out hope that the writers will come to their senses and bring back the real Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu.

I have to strongly disagree. It was shown they are competent in past episodes and can be super serious. It's shown that now that Giovanni has their attention, they must focus more on TR instead of their Ideals. I totally seen this coming.

Them being competent is fine. Them being focused is fine. I'm not complaining about any of that.

What I am complaining about is how this competence and focus has apparently come packaged with a lobotomy.

Them being competent is fine. Them being focused is fine. I'm not complaining about any of that.

What I am complaining about is how this competence and focus has apparently come packaged with a lobotomy.

Who said their personalities are gone? All we saw was them focusing on their jobs. They can be the same dorky selves when not focusing on their mission.

This whole plot has been building since the end of the Grand Festival and continued on even more in the league. In fact, you can even look back to the second episode of DP where Sakaki didn't even know who they were, to now where they have a special mission there. It's just as Life Alert said, they want to impress Sakaki now that they're somebodies again.

I think their sudden seriousness and competence is cool and all, don't get me wrong, but for our TRio, it's OOC, plain and simple.

So I guess you thought DP092 was OOC as well? This is the exact same situation. Not to mention they were like this in the "Love and Origin of Youth" side story as well as episode two of the original series.

Their personalities haven't changed at all.

yoshi12370 said:
Who said their personalities are gone?

Me, for the past month or so.

All we saw was them focusing on their jobs. They can be the same dorky selves when not focusing on their mission.

Except we haven't seen that yet.

I do realize that we're still very early in the series, by the way. But four episodes, as short as that is, is still the longest we've gone without goofy Rocket-Dan since the trio's debut more than thirteen years ago.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom